Southern Namibia 2020 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Southern Namibia 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Day 10 See the Vlei then go to Klein Aus.
    Day 11 Day trip to Lüderitz and wild horses
    When you're at the vlei, please stop at Sesriem Canyon. Everybody goes crazy about the vleis, and nobody ever seems to remember the canyon there too. When I was touring Southern Nam last year, I was the only person at the Canyon when I stopped by to see it - everyone had headed up to the vlei. The canyon is about 4 kilos South of the gate at Sesriem.

Also, I'd recommend overnighting in Luderitz, as it's a lovely place and a trip to Kolmanskuppe is also a must see.

My trip report is here:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...bia?highlight=
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

lekhubu943: All my previous trips were only one night stops, now I am not as young as I was, and prefer a much slower pace. Shall rethink the pace, and maybe add more rest days. Thanks for your input

witklipbank: Jammer my Afrikaans is baie sleg. Originally the route was the other way round, but this way we get to the furthest point the fastest way, then enjoy a slow trip back

iandvl : Shall defiantly look into going to Sesriem Canyon. Was in Lüderitz once, cost me a respray and new glass (sandstorm). Now a bit scared. However I have learned to never say never

Quote Originally Posted by Subok View Post
    Day 9 and perhaps 8 try Tsauchab River Lodge - great place and not too far from Sossus. Avoid Sesriem camping.
    May I ask the reason for not camping at Sesriem,? As I understand it, you are already inside the reserve and can leave early morning before the gates open. Is Sesriem camp and Sesriem NWR two different sites?
    Erich Visser
    2015 Suzuki GV 2.4 m/t 40mm lift and Bash Plates
    2015 Off Trax Outplay Trailer
    2006 Mercedes A170 (Swambo's)
    1996 Mazda Magnum 2600 D/C 4x4 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ErichV View Post
    May I ask the reason for not camping at Sesriem,? As I understand it, you are already inside the reserve and can leave early morning before the gates open. Is Sesriem camp and Sesriem NWR two different sites?
    I did camp there once, about 20 years ago. Then already overland trucks would pull in, and everything changes. The bathrooms were a mess, loud partying until late into the night.

No thank you, I am looking for tranquillity, peace and quite. If I want to jol, I can do that at home

As per Toni's response above. Pehaps bearable for a night if you want to get to the dunes verrry early.
    Btw, if you are a birdwatcher, the Dune lark is endemic to that area.
    Also, we climbed Big Daddy dune to see Verlorenvlei and not the usual dune to see Sossusvlei. Almost died....
    Also, be sure to visit the Sesriem Canyon on the way out.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    We hope to do a trip in 2020. When is the best time to go? We not dependant on school holidays.

We have just over 2 weeks, from C.T, but don't want to rush the trip. The idea is to do Richtersveld, Fish River Canyon, Aus,(not in this order) then also the ghost town ,Lüderitz and maybe Ai Ais.

Hopefully some wise ones here can help me plan my trip and include most of the "great" places to see.

We shall be traveling solo in a Toyota Fortuna, with either RTT or ground tent.
    Hi!

We are planning the same trip. Doing it in 19 days.

12 June, Cpt - Port Nolloth (685 km) - Peaceful Place
    13 June, Port Nolloth - Lüderitz (491 km) - Krabbenhoft und Lampe. Visit Diaz Cross, Felsenkirche, Goerke House, Kolmanskoppe
    14 June, Lüderitz
    15 June, Lüderitz – Sossus Oasis Camp Site (506 km) Visit the Duwisib Castle en route Sossus.
    16 June, Sossus Oasis Camp Site
    17 June, Sossusvlei - Swakopmund (344 km) - Alte Brucke Resort. Visit McGregor's Bakery @ Solitaire for Apple Strudel. Swakop has a LOT to do. Aquarium, Brauhaus, Village Cafe, Goanikontes, Kristall Galerie, Moon Landscape, Welwitschia plains etc.
    18 June, Swakopmund
    19 June, Swakopmund
    20 June, Swakopmund
    21 June, Swakopmund
    22 June, Swakopmund - Erindi/Camp Elephant (301 km)
    23 June, Camp Elephant
    24 June, Camp Elephant
    25 June, Camp Elephant - Keetmanshoop (663 km) - Quiver Inn Guesthouse. Visit Naute Dam, Canyon Roadhouse and Fish River Canyon en route
    26 June, Keetmanshoop - Ai-Ais (240 km)
    27 June, Ai-Ais
    28 June, Ai-Ais
    29 June, Ai-Ais
    30 June, Ai-Ais - Cpt

Enjoy the planning and the travel
    Last edited by ChrisjanF; 2020/01/22 at 03:32 PM.

To the op:

Look at Ranch Koiimasis also between Aus and Sossus (IIRC)
    Was a highlight of our trip when we did something similar to yours.
    Lake Oanob Between Windhoek and RSA was also a good affordable stop

Some of those areas have the main attraction as mentioned, dooievlei or giants playground or whatever, but once you have seen it it is seen and the area does not have much else to offer. So choose where you take your rest days carefully.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2