Defender camaraderie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Defender camaraderie

I have been a defender owner now for two weeks and have discovered there's a great camaraderie amongst Defender drivers.

I have been waved at, honked at, flashed at and smiled at - all by fellow Defender drivers.... and instinctively have also started to do the same to other Defender drivers. [ Its hard to explain to someone driving with you what and why this is happening - I know why because I drive a Defender ]

Also learned that you should not wave / honk / flash at other 4x4s drivers ... they could not care less .... might even give you the finger.

Just wondering: Is this Defender camaraderie happening all over the world or just in South Africa ?

I have read on overseas forums that it is the same over there,Landyzone etc.I drive a Series Landy and always get a wave from other Series and Defenders,my wive also asked me today why we do it when I greeted a Defender near Kosmos on the way to Hekpoort,maybe a forum member?Have learned not to wave at Disco's,most of the time they don't wave back!Nice to be part of the Landy family!
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

i think the other defender drivers know the heart it takes to drive one ;-)
    and all the hard work keepin them on the road....
    '94 Land Rover Defender 110, 200tdi

COFFEE.EXE Missing - Insert Cup and Press Any Key

Default The Wave......

I (Disco 1 owner ) give any Land Rover a wave or light flash, and fortunately the majority responds, some with a smile, some with a frown, some would just glare at you....but they are a poor minority group, not knowing it takes far less muscle effort to smile as opposed to look "dedonnerd". As smile buys you time in life, a scowl shortens your life......
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox bash plate, Mitsubishi Nudge Bar, Bosal Tow Bar, Retractable Eezy-Awn

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to"

I was under the impression that it was a Land Rover thing..... Looks like I'll have to stop waving.
    '79 Range Rover classic.

Now sadly sold.
    88" series 3"Littlemule"my first diesel.No more Landys, all sold

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Lemon View Post
    I was under the impression that it was a Land Rover thing..... Looks like I'll have to stop waving.
    Luckily I didn't say Rangies! When I got my first Landy I waved at all Landies but never got a wave back from a Disco,now I only wave for Defenders and classic Rangies!
    Nissan Qashqai
    Series 3 Landy
    Land Cruiser 4.2D work

Quote Originally Posted by Kgopa View Post
    Luckily I didn't say Rangies! When I got my first Landy I waved at all Landies but never got a wave back from a Disco,now I only wave for Defenders and classic Rangies!
    I get a wave from disco's sometimes I think it is X Defender owners

110 V8

The wave was invented to show your fellow defender friends that your hands are still clean from not having to fix your lr . seriaas!!!!

I find most flashy 4x4 owners are too a big bunch of snobs to bother greeting us mere mortals
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

I also wave and get a wave.

I heard though that it is actually called the Land Rover wave and came about because the early Landys didn't have windscreen demisters. So the drivers were actually wiping the mist off their windscreens and it was mistaken for a wave, and so a legend was born!!

Quote Originally Posted by straush View Post
    I get a wave from disco's sometimes I think it is X Defender owners

110 V8
    I wave/flash my head lights to any Land Rover from my Discovery 1, and I get returns, exept from Freelander I's............I mean it is exiting to see any Land Rover approaching, so why go through a "I must wave, I must not wave" selection, just wave!
    2015 Pajero Sport 2,5 Di-D 4x4 5-spd Auto, STOFPAD eng & gbox bash plate, Mitsubishi Nudge Bar, Bosal Tow Bar, Retractable Eezy-Awn

I always give a wave when I see a Series or a Defender. I gave up trying with Discos.
    A few weeks ago, I was giving a colleague (whose only knowledge of cars is that they have 4 wheels) a lift home after a weekend conference. She was absolutely stunned when she saw us giving a wave to each other along Beyers Naude and even more so when a fellow 90 flashed his lights
    Defender 90 TD5 with steering guard, Warriorworx rocksliders and diff guard, 33' Bridgestone MT, Warn winch, outback roofrack, frontrunner penthouse RTT and awning.
    African Backbone offroad trailer.

I can assure you that it happens in England as well as the rest of the UK.

Modified Discoverys and Range Rovers also wave.

I've had a wave from a new Range Rover as well.
    It's taken some friends of mine some time to realise that those who wave are unknown to me.

It's alo good to see the double take from southern African drivers when they see a UK registerd Defender in ZA.

mike
    Margaret

I do not know if it is just me or the snobs living in my area. If i drive with the 90 all other defenders will say hello! but in the RR nobody relay cares if you are saying hello. I wonder if they even know that the RR classic is a LR?
    Adriaan

I am also a "new" defender owner. Apart from the waving, I also find people staring. I notice because I am also usually craning my neck to see what extra's the other guy might have on his Landy that might come in handy. I have side mounted jerry cans which is a bit different (and cause some neck craning from other drivers), and then I now have one of those round braai grids that fit over your spare wheel.

Anyway, I enjoy the seeming spontaneous cameraderie.

C

I'm so into this Landy greeting thing, that even when I drive in the platkar I tend to wave. Don't get as many greetings back in the BM.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone

It is most of the time newer disco RR and Freelander that do not wave, agree with the theory that those who do, used to own a classic RR, series or Defender.

SADLY in Pretoria, I find lots of Defenders NOT waving. Understandably sometimes you miss them. I missed Fontuin the other morning on Hans Strijdom, however, I have marked a few Defenders that DO NOT WAVE AT ALL!! I hope it is blindness and not snobishness...

This is an appeal: Come on, lads and lasses, join the fun and camaraderie. Keep ypur eyes peeled. You never know when you would need a LandRover friend...

I too wonder why the Defender guys and gals won't wave back at me when I drive the platkar around? Funny bunch these LR owners! I don't drive Songololo around everyday and I am usually disappointed if i didn't see a lot of Landy owners to wave to. I tried waving at Discos, Freelanders and Rangies but they don't seem to like the rest of the family.
    2001 Land Rover Defender 110 CSW.
    NL Dual Battery box, Home made stainless steel fender water tank, Long range tank, bull bar, Home made stainless steel ladder, Front runner roof rack. Recovery points. Home made awning. Smash and Grab window tinting, Eezi-Awn RTT, 29Mhz radio GME GX300 and no-one to talk to ...yet
    "It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you have"

Hey guys, dont decide here who is snobbish or not snobbish. It is not for us to say that if you do not drive a defender and because the guy does not greet back that he is a snob. Who is the snob know...... if you don't greet anymore.

I have learned as a young boy that you should give and do not expect back. Just greet fellow landy owners and leave it there.

Kgopa, let me tell you this. I have been going out of may way with my Disco to greet all other landy drivers. Guess what, many of the defender guys do not wave back at me. I can call this reverse snobbishness.
    Sometimes I get the idea because my Discovery is not old enough or dirty with bumps and ditches on with a spade on the rack etc that I am not worthy enough to get a greet back.And the people think you only drive on pavements with yours. Guess what, I got stuck again this week end in a mountain.

Please guys the topic is about commarades not about who is not greeting one another.

For me anybody who bought a Land Rover even if it is a Freelander to a new Range Rover is my commorade with his own identity because all of us went against our friends family's anti land Rover advice and still bought one!!

Isn't that something to celibrate and be proud of!

All the best
    2007 Discovery 3 Td V6
    110 Defender 300tdi

KTM 950 Adventure

I have also given up waving at Disco's ,but always wave or flash lights at fellow Defender owners

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast