Snowmaster cut out voltage

Default Snowmaster cut out voltage

I am borrowing a Snowmaster dual (28 & 24l iters I think) fridge/freezer from a friend. Yesterday afternoon I connected it to the 2nd battery in my Ranger XL Plus. During the 20min or so trip back home, the temperature of the empty fridge dropped from 23deg to 4deg. I left it overnight just connected to the 2nd battery. I wanted to see if it will run through the night. When I checked this morning, the fridge was not running and the temperature was at 20deg. The battery voltage was at 12.6V as indicated on both the fridge display as well as the battery monitor I have on the battery.

When I checked this morning, I saw that the cut out voltage can be set to anything between 10V and 11.5V. I have now set it to 10V, but cannot remember what it was set to. But be that as it may, it should have only cut out at 11.5V. Any ideas why it would have cut out at 12.6V or higher? I started the bakkie and after a while the "solenoid" kicked in to start charging the 2nd battery. The fridge then also started running again.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Snowmaster cut out voltage

Because when the fridge compressor kicked in the battery voltage drops and thus it switched off.

You shouldn't set the fridge cut-off to lower than 11.5v, it will damage your battery, even 11.5 is too low.

A normal Lead-Acid battery is at 50% discharge at 12v, and should not really go lower than that.

Lead Crystal can go a bit lower.

Maybe have your battery checked.

A good condition 100Ah battery can deliver 50Ah before it reaches 12v, and is flat (ie should be cut off).

Most fridges should average 5A per hour, or less, so should run for 10 hours or more.

Note that the fridges use a lot of power for the initial cooling down, that should preferably be done on the mains before you leave on your trip.
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/09/19 at 12:12 PM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Because when the fridge compressor kicked in the battery voltage drops and thus it switched off.
    Ok, that makes sense. So even though it is suggested that I should not set it at 10V, that should to some degree counter for when the compressor kicks in. Initial cooling down was done while driving. It already was at temp when I stopped. But then I suppose it also made a difference that it was empty and our minimum last night was about 17deg.

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    I have also experienced this. Although your float charge on the batt might read 12,5V as soon as the compressor starts it starts high at around 5W and the levels out. At that peak power the Volts on the batt might measure as little as 11,4 V which cuases the fridge to switch off. I have been running a 24l fridge in my Xtra cab for a while now. The Aux batt is also behind the seats so I can monitor both. I also noticed the cut-outs, reduced the cut-off Volts on the fridge and no problems since then. The Float charge on the batt returns to 12,3 - 12,6V when the fridge is not running. My experience, so far so good.
    One of the stupid mistakes in life is to underestimate peoples level of stupidity!

If you are experiencing such low voltage on start up then your cabling is too light. Nothing smaller than 2.5mm cable should be used between plug and battery if under 2 meters in length. If more than 2 meters then use 4mm cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Ok, that makes sense. So even though it is suggested that I should not set it at 10V, that should to some degree counter for when the compressor kicks in. Initial cooling down was done while driving. It already was at temp when I stopped. But then I suppose it also made a difference that it was empty and our minimum last night was about 17deg.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silverfox For This Useful Post: