RTTs and weight

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RTTs and weight

Default RTTs and weight

I've been idly looking at RTTs to stick on the bakkie and one thing really astounds me is the weight of the things. I get that they need some kind of load bearing floor, but seriously, even the "Featherlite" from Frontrunner weighs 43 kg. I come from a hiking background and have tents that have survived 150 km/h winds and torrential rain, sleep two in comfort with extra space and come in around 3-4kgs.

Why are they so insanely heavy? And that weight is located at the worst place, high up on the vehicle.

I'm considering a piece of plywood and just pitching one of the tents on it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

Default Re: RTTs and weight

Quote Originally Posted by niclemaitre View Post
    I've been idly looking at RTTs to stick on the bakkie and one thing really astounds me is the weight of the things. I get that they need some kind of load bearing floor, but seriously, even the "Featherlite" from Frontrunner weighs 43 kg. I come from a hiking background and have tents that have survived 150 km/h winds and torrential rain, sleep two in comfort with extra space and come in around 3-4kgs.

Why are they so insanely heavy? And that weight is located at the worst place, high up on the vehicle.

And you can also ask why they are so insanely expensive!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Well if you take a tentco dome tent 2.5 x 2.5, packed it weigh around 23kg without poles. Itís the canvas thatís so heavy.

And with RTT, there are more poles as well as n base that folds open (most have a wooden base)

I just installed a family tentco, that comes in at a cosy 86kg. But if I take a 3m dome, 2.5 dome, poles, stretchers (everything that a family of 4 needs to camp/sleep). It comes close to 86kg

To answer your question, I think they need to stand up to the travelling part. I have had things on the roof rack in bags that were shredded by the wind by the time we got there. They need to be sturdy.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Does that not also include the weight of the mattress?

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    And you can also ask why they are so insanely expensive!
    True, considering that a tent that will survive >8000m mountains is around 10-12k

Quote Originally Posted by Gothan View Post
    Well if you take a tentco dome tent 2.5 x 2.5, packed it weigh around 23kg without poles. Itís the canvas thatís so heavy.

And with RTT, there are more poles as well as n base that folds open (most have a wooden base)

I just installed a family tentco, that comes in at a cosy 86kg. But if I take a 3m dome, 2.5 dome, poles, stretchers (everything that a family of 4 needs to camp/sleep). It comes close to 86kg
    But why canvas? Nylon or PU is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    To answer your question, I think they need to stand up to the travelling part. I have had things on the roof rack in bags that were shredded by the wind by the time we got there. They need to be sturdy.
    That's just a matter of a sturdy cover or bag? But my tent has stood up just fine in winds that are faster than I can drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    Yes it seems it does. I have an exceptionally comfortable (and insulated) air mattress that weighs in at only 1kg.

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    Mattress should only weigh around 6/7 kg's.

I have posted this before on some different freds...

I decided to stick my RTT on the loadbin. Now the CofG is lower, loadbin has no weight issues, no roof racks, I don't have to spend R25k on a canopy, lower profile to reduce drag and I still get more packed into the bakkie than the Everest...and managed better.

The tent is a "Franken-Awn". Bought a dilapidated Eezi Awn for R1500. Spend some money refurbishing it myself and replaced the fly and cover with Tentco, since it was a LOT cheaper, hence "Franken-Awn". The Tentco fly sheet is much better than that PVC thing the Eezi Awn came with.

This tent was also stuck on top of my Everest and I had no issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ranger Frame.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	540332

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

It seems to me that there is a gap in the market for something light weight and low profile and manufacturers could take advantage of modern materials. Or does nylon/PU not look "bush" enough?

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

My first tent was the Myway Serengeti. Wood floor, ripstop and nylon combo. 38kg
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

You can always mount an Oztent RV1 on top of your roofrack. Weighs 18kg and at R11oddK still cheaper that a RTT and more versatile?

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

Have the frontrunner featherlite mentioned earlier. Not as heavy as units had before and swambo and I easily get it on/off the roof. The real weight starts when jerry cans and water tanks etc start getting mounted on a rr.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

My first tent was the Myway Serengeti. Wood floor, ripstop and nylon combo. 38kg
    Jeepers that's heavy still.

I'm leaning strongly towards either making my own (How hard can it be? ) or simply pitching a tent I already own on the RR.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post

I decided to stick my RTT on the loadbin. Now the CofG is lower, loadbin has no weight issues, no roof racks, I don't have to spend R25k on a canopy, lower profile to reduce drag and I still get more packed into the bakkie than the Everest...and managed better.

The tent is a "Franken-Awn". Bought a dilapidated Eezi Awn for R1500. Spend some money refurbishing it myself and replaced the fly and cover with Tentco, since it was a LOT cheaper, hence "Franken-Awn". The Tentco fly sheet is much better than that PVC thing the Eezi Awn came with.

Anton I've been considering this exact setup on my 130 just as these vehicles quickly get overloaded due to the available bin space.
    Luckily I've got some height to play with due to the Defenders high roof.

If I may add, it might be better to have the RTT right up against the cab to be more streamline and have the weight over the axles instead of behind.
    The weight of the fuel and water jerries will vary as your trip continues but the RTT's weight will stay the same.
    This is now only relevant if your RTT folds over to the side and not the back.
    (SUPERCHARGED ZOMBIE ZOOK)
    (DEFENDER 130 300HP V8 "MR PUGLY")
    --->YouTube channel<---
    Hendri Mouton (Zombie)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandboarder For This Useful Post:

I have a featherlite rooftop tent , also I modified my own stretcher tent and it can be like sleeping under the stars or with the cover over. its called an Oztrail stretcher queen tent, weight of tent 26kg can support 150kg ether side.

The tent can fit onto my roof rack or can be lifted down to sit on the ground so for quick game drives in the morning it takes me 1 minute to lift it onto the ground and then slides back onto the roof at night.

Its easy and simple and the tent can be packed away in its bag in 3 minutes.

I had two rooftop tents before but i needed the space on the roof rack for bulky stuff so this has been my solution for a family of 5
    Attached Images Attached Images  

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ngweshla For This Useful Post:

Jeepers that's heavy still.
    Needs to be to support my fat body

but therein lies the answer, why are they so heavy. It is because there is an expectation that they will support two, or even more persons and not break when out on corrugated roads.

BMW R1200R

I have now 2 rooftop tents on my Ranger. First time travelling with RTT's and leaving next week Sunday for Mabua. Will see how it goes.

On my canopy I will have a RTT and 2 Jerry cans.... Should be fine I think?
    Last edited by Francois111; 2019/09/11 at 02:57 PM.
    Francois

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post

Thanks, unfortunately, I've already got a full height canopy on the bak, so that's not an option.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

Needs to be to support my fat body

but therein lies the answer, why are they so heavy. It is because there is an expectation that they will support two, or even more persons and not break when out on corrugated roads.
    I'm thinking that maybe they tend to take the easy way out and just use a thick plywood board, rather than a thin one with appropriate bracing, a much lighter option. My canopy roof (2mm alu sheet) with adequate bracing, easily bears my weight. So a sheet of 3mm, with a few braces should do fine as a base, especially if it is propped up by the ladder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast