Discovery 2: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Default Re: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Yes Rock4x4.
    Its my FIL's business he builds an awesome rear bumper. Richard 084 5zero sevrn 176zero
    thank you. was looking into this.

Decent bumper? IYHO and not IMHO?

Easy to fit?
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - mods list to be updated [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    thank you. was looking into this.

Decent bumper? IYHO and not IMHO?

Easy to fit?
    Here you go.

https://www.junkmail.co.za/accessori...c85a2dadf3e524

Yes very easy to fit. I have the front and rear bumper on my Disco, you wont find better value for money elsewhere.
    In your case I think you need to do the heavy duty rear bumper.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Here you go.

https://www.junkmail.co.za/accessori...c85a2dadf3e524

Yes very easy to fit. I have the front and rear bumper on my Disco, you wont find better value for money elsewhere.
    In your case I think you need to do the heavy duty rear bumper.
    Richard didn't tell me about the heavy duty rear bumper??
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

Richard didn't tell me about the heavy duty rear bumper??
    Basically he just makes the mounting brackets a bit stronger AFAIK
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Yes Rock4x4.
    Its my FIL's business he builds an awesome rear bumper. Richard 084 5zero sevrn 176zero
    I'm side tracking from the thread main theme slightly with a question about Rock 4x4. I'm looking for rocksliders for my Disco 2 but only find Rock advertising bumpers. Do you know offhand if they do sliders and what they look like.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm side tracking from the thread main theme slightly with a question about Rock 4x4. I'm looking for rocksliders for my Disco 2 but only find Rock advertising bumpers. Do you know offhand if they do sliders and what they look like.
    I asked Richard, they stopped...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Basically he just makes the mounting brackets a bit stronger AFAIK
    thanks, i've asked.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

FWM

Douglas, the body lift and bumpers are one item. Bumpers are bolted to the chassis so they will be left behind when the body goes up. Some suppliers will have drilled a second set of holes for this, which could be at 40mm or 50mm or some other figure. First establish if your front bumper is predrilled for the lift, then order the spacers and rear bumper to match. If nothing is drilled I would suggest 50mm
    Same thing with the sliders.

I put my centre box back. No effect on EGT or power. Big effect on noise. The van is much more pleasant and I drive faster now because I don't have this horrible droning noise to listen to. Yes the TD5 is one of the better sounding diesels but that's still like having a favourite STD. Your EGT problem is your map.
    Last edited by Hagu13; 2020/02/18 at 07:25 AM.
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Cruising on flat road, 100km/h EGTs are about 600

Yesterday coming out of the valley here in KZN, steep steep incline for about 3km. EGTS sitting at 600 at start, then 650 at the end, not faster than 60km/h. taking it easy.

If I choose, I can get up to 800 in a very short space with a strong pull off.
    By means of comparison, I'm running one of Biltong's test maps. Stock turbo and intercooler, no boost solenoid at present, adjusted wastegate.
    100km/h is in the mid 400s
    120km/h around 500
    Flat out is around 580. I think 589 is my record.
    On the weekend I blew off a boost pipe on a very steep long uphill. The TD5 is typically flat out up here at 3000rpm in 3rd, for several minutes. I've been playing with boost and experimenting with the van and had it at 1.6 bar when the pipe blew off. Instant huge power loss and EGT shot up. All the way to 567 degrees where it stopped. It was smoking so I had to lift off and lower it to about 540 to get to the top where I could stop.
    Previous map with the same mechanicals and EGT gauge reached 720 easily
    Rob
    Defender 90 pickup. Lexus V8, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    Douglas, the body lift and bumpers are one item. Bumpers are bolted to the chassis so they will be left behind when the body goes up. Some suppliers will have drilled a second set of holes for this, which could be at 40mm or 50mm or some other figure. First establish if your front bumper is predrilled for the lift, then order the spacers and rear bumper to match. If nothing is drilled I would suggest 50mm
    Same thing with the sliders.

I put my centre box back. No effect on EGT or power. Big effect on noise. The van is much more pleasant and I drive faster now because I don't have this horrible droning noise to listen to. Yes the TD5 is one of the better sounding diesels but that's still like having a favourite STD. Your EGT problem is your map.
    So my front bumper is already on, Burnco, so will need to then investigate this.

I mean, do I have to do a body lift? I need to put wheel spacers on to assist with the turning circle as the radius arms are taking a bit of a knock on full lock turns.

What would happen if I left the body lift, but put spacers on - it would probably rub the wheel arches, right? So can I cut them?

Burnco bumper is usually pre drilled for 40mm body lift.

I had the wheel snagging on the drivers side arch after the body lift and a little arch rolling. Those big tyres take up a lot of space when they are moving around. I would be really surprised if you don't need the lift. The problem is not rubbing as much as the tread snagging the metal as you go through a dip. The back of the tyre is moving upwards and a mud tyre tread will hook on and take the fender along for the journey if they meet. If you're lucky it will fold the lower corner up. Unlucky gets ugly.

Don't fear the body lift. It's super easy. 10 nylon bushes, find all the bolts, loosen one side, remove other side and jack it up, then bolt back together and repeat on the other side. The bolts will be too short but as they are all different lengths you can reuse quite a few of them in different locations.
    Rob
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

I had the wheel snagging on the drivers side arch after the body lift and a little arch rolling. Those big tyres take up a lot of space when they are moving around. I would be really surprised if you don't need the lift. The problem is not rubbing as much as the tread snagging the metal as you go through a dip. The back of the tyre is moving upwards and a mud tyre tread will hook on and take the fender along for the journey if they meet. If you're lucky it will fold the lower corner up. Unlucky gets ugly.

Don't fear the body lift. It's super easy. 10 nylon bushes, find all the bolts, loosen one side, remove other side and jack it up, then bolt back together and repeat on the other side. The bolts will be too short but as they are all different lengths you can reuse quite a few of them in different locations.
    Thanks! Now I just need to find the bushes. Apparently I can get from Maizey plastics. Any idea on the actual size needed (dimensions) and material used?

Nylon is good.

Just confirm if the bumper is pre drilled and if so at what distance. It's a long time since I did mine so they may be doing things differently.
    Old pic of mine attached. I know it's 40mm long so probably around the same in diameter. I think the bolts are M12 but not sure. You could use anything really. A stack of fender washers would do it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

Nylon is good.

Just confirm if the bumper is pre drilled and if so at what distance. It's a long time since I did mine so they may be doing things differently.
    Old pic of mine attached. I know it's 40mm long so probably around the same in diameter. I think the bolts are M12 but not sure. You could use anything really. A stack of fender washers would do it
    The bumper is old, very old and looks exactly like the one on your old D2 in the 2nd post of this thread. I assume (eish) it will be the same.. but will need to check I guess.

What do I do about the gear lever extension and radiator and air con 'pins'? Would I need to replace also?

Transfer lever will just protrude a bit less but will work the same. Auto shifter doesn't change.
    Can't remember what I did at the radiator. I never body lifted my TD5, only the V8. I'm pretty sure I didn't need to fabricate anything though
    Rob
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    Buell XB12R

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Hagu13 For This Useful Post:

So first casualty of mods = the front propshaft. Was still running the original double knuckle non-greasable which gave up the ghost soon after it felt what offroading was like.

Then, removed the middle silencer box, put straight pipe and EGTs are much better. Still not ideal as they can still reach the high levels, but takes longer to get there.

So now to increase boost a bit more, say 1.5, then perhaps drop the fuel also.

Right, update time. Since the back bumper has been a casualty of war from the get go, it is now gone. Completely.

Just before lockdown, we cut, trimmed, cut some more.. And in the process of doing something custom.

My main concern is the fuel tank, so we did that first. Then the work will continue soon.

#lockdownmustfall

Some obligatory offroad pics.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

More updates to some bar work. There's going to be a few changes still but overall, loving it.

The one is some additions to be made.

Apologies for the large pics. Uploading from phone.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12