Discovery 2: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build - Page 8

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Straight pipe 76mm. I just removed the boxes on my TD5 and I just love the sound of the 5 cylinder through that open pipe.
    Did you do the down pipe also?
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Post Re: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Did you do the down pipe also?
    Nope only replaced the centre and rear boxes with straight pipe.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Post Re: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build

@Doug, is your truck just for playing offroad? or are you going to Overland with it too?
    Reason i ask, is i have gone down this road, I've gone from Freeflow centre box, to straight pipe, to Stock, and back to a new freeflow.
    Bascially because the manual's revs at 110kmph is slap bang in the audible drone range. the straight through was a bit too hectic. (not sure about Auto?).

Honestly, the only way you'll know 100% for sure, is to do it yourself

The stock DP/Exhaust on a TD5 is quite a beast though. I would spend cash on the Alisport Manifold before changing EVERYTHING after the turbo .

Do you still have the giant landy centre box?
    Jordan

<a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/discovery-2/2004/jordanza/311455" target="_blank">

Quote Originally Posted by jordanza View Post
    @Doug, is your truck just for playing offroad? or are you going to Overland with it too?
    Reason i ask, is i have gone down this road, I've gone from Freeflow centre box, to straight pipe, to Stock, and back to a new freeflow.
    Bascially because the manual's revs at 110kmph is slap bang in the audible drone range. the straight through was a bit too hectic. (not sure about Auto?).

The stock DP/Exhaust on a TD5 is quite a beast though. I would spend cash on the Alisport Manifold before changing EVERYTHING after the turbo .

Truck will be for offroad and for travel... so i'll need to see what it sounds like long term with the pipe. I'll try removing everything and then go from there one by one.

The main aim is to drop the EGTs so will start with after DP then go from there.

Will changing the manifold to the Alisport help with EGTS?

I removed the centre landy box and replaced with a Cowley freeflow, but only at 57mm... so don't think that's helping much.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

Truck will be for offroad and for travel... so i'll need to see what it sounds like long term with the pipe. I'll try removing everything and then go from there one by one.

The main aim is to drop the EGTs so will start with after DP then go from there.

I removed the centre landy box and replaced with a Cowley freeflow, but only at 57mm... so don't think that's helping much.

Shot, there is nothing nicer than pulling out of the exhaust place for the first time after going straight through , the 5cyl purrs nicely.
    Where is your EGT Probe? in the EGR port? If you look at the design of the Alisport vs stock, Cyl 1 & 5 are going to have much better flow away from the head.
    I some times wish i knew more, but until someone convinces me otherwise, i do believe the manifold and the turbo are the bottleneck...

Is the Alisport just more resilient to higher EGTs, or does it improve them... I don't know . But i want one.
    My truck has warped two stock manifolds, I now have one from Mike Grant with the webs cut out. touch wood, she's ok now.
    Jordan

<a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/discovery-2/2004/jordanza/311455" target="_blank">

Shot, there is nothing nicer than pulling out of the exhaust place for the first time after going straight through , the 5cyl purrs nicely.
    Where is your EGT Probe? in the EGR port? If you look at the design of the Alisport vs stock, Cyl 1 & 5 are going to have much better flow away from the head.
    I some times wish i knew more, but until someone convinces me otherwise, i do believe the manifold and the turbo are the bottleneck...

Is the Alisport just more resilient to higher EGTs, or does it improve them... I don't know . But i want one.
    My truck has warped two stock manifolds, I now have one from Mike Grant with the webs cut out. touch wood, she's ok now.
    Huh? In the EGR port? Where the f is that?

Anyways, my EGT probe is directly in the manifold, about 3cm away from where all the ports meet.

Not sure that the manifold would cause high EGTs, unless it is a ceramic uprated manifold as it dispells the heat quicker than cast iron. But I don't think it is.. it's the stock manifold.

Definitely think the next thing is the exhaust.. will monitor from there.

Huh? In the EGR port? Where the f is that?

Anyways, my EGT probe is directly in the manifold, about 3cm away from where all the ports meet.

Not sure that the manifold would cause high EGTs, unless it is a ceramic uprated manifold as it dispells the heat quicker than cast iron. But I don't think it is.. it's the stock manifold.

Definitely think the next thing is the exhaust.. will monitor from there.
    The ERG plat is right next to Clinder 1 on the exhorts manafold, a lot of EGT are put there but it only reads NO 1 cylinder mainly
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

would not get a Allysport one unless your manifold is finished, if it has warped then skim it, de-Web it, drill outer holes to M10, ceramic coat it inside and out, tap the EGT prob close to turbo flange so read all cylinders, then get Wurth stuffs, SS spacers and copper nuts, you should be good to go lot cheaper then import from UK
    once a manifold has warped they say hard for it to warped again

if you do chuck your manifold away let me know
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    would not get a Allysport one unless your manifold is finished, if it has warped then skim it, de-Web it, drill outer holes to M10, ceramic coat it inside and out, tap the EGT prob close to turbo flange so read all cylinders, then get Wurth stuffs, SS spacers and copper nuts, you should be good to go lot cheaper then import from UK
    once a manifold has warped they say hard for it to warped again

if you do chuck your manifold away let me know
    won't get a new manifold unless i need to.

Also, my EGT probe is closer to turbo flange so reads all cylinders - could that be the reason for higher than 'normal' EGTs reported here and on the web?

With my first TD5 (auto) I went from stock to straight pipe and then very quickly to a freeflow box
    Current one I got with no centre box and previous owner LOVED it. Said the TD5 is such a sweet sounding engine. I tried to like it but couldn't. Put a freeflow in last week. I'm generally a fan of loud pipes but the TD5 is probably the 5th best sounding engine in my fleet
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

won't get a new manifold unless i need to.

Also, my EGT probe is closer to turbo flange so reads all cylinders - could that be the reason for higher than 'normal' EGTs reported here and on the web?
    could be as now reading all 5, if just on the 1 you could get slightly lower readings

who did your map, maybe speak to Nicky at roverTec he is now in CT but he did my map

could be as now reading all 5, if just on the 1 you could get slightly lower readings

who did your map, maybe speak to Nicky at roverTec he is now in CT but he did my map
    Have had 2 maps on so far and even running quite lean, the temps were higher than they should be.

Have had 2 maps on so far and even running quite lean, the temps were higher than they should be.
    who did your maps

could be as now reading all 5, if just on the 1 you could get slightly lower readings ...
    I moved my EGT probe from 1 to the middle of the manifold.

The max EGT reading remained the same, but it seemed to me as if the gauge was more responsive, the EGTs climbed quicker.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    I moved my EGT probe from 1 to the middle of the manifold.

The max EGT reading remained the same, but it seemed to me as if the gauge was more responsive, the EGTs climbed quicker.
    Yeah, the temps do climb very quick.. I'm pretty sure it's just my exhaust that is causing the higher than normal EGTs.

It's going back to get the CW&P done this week and then after that I'll be able to get the exhaust done and then see.

Have a read of Biltong's TD5 mapping thread
    Most tuners don't care about EGT so most aftermarket maps are very aggressive. He calculates AFR and therefore keeps EGT in check.

My current D2 was previously the personal vehicle of the wife of a well respected LR indy. Meticulously maintained, and mapped, presumably with one of the better commercially available maps. But EGT went too high too easily for my liking.
    I'm currently testing a map for Biltong. EGT is about 100 degrees lower for equivalent conditions. It's still in development and not yet ready for market but I have very high hopes for it.

Going from straight pipe to freeflow centre box had no effect on EGT. He runs a stock silencer and also reports nice low EGT.

There are ways to lower EGT with hardware but it can become expensive, and it's more likely a software issue anyway.
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by Hagu13 View Post
    EGT is about 100 degrees lower for equivalent conditions. It's still in development and not yet ready for market but I have very high hopes for it.
    Sounds good. Is that equivalent power also?

There are ways to lower EGT with hardware but it can become expensive, and it's more likely a software issue anyway.
    In my case, bigger inter-cooler, more boost, ceramic coating, exhaust... and ultimately... it was just a bad map.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

100% Agree.
    But getting 130kw plus from a TD5 is going to need some new hardware IMO.
    Last edited by jordanza; 2020/01/21 at 10:46 AM.
    Jordan

Leaner should run hotter.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast