Discovery 2: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build - Page 7

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: Ultimate Disco2 Td5 Build

What EGT’s are you getting
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Also did the 3 amigos mod by bypassing the ground but it did not help, they are still intermittent, so have to find more faults to try and fix. Must be a sensor or wire somewhere.
    Check your battery lead to ground as well as the chassis ground point adjacent to the battery box and the engine ground.
    I had the 3 Amigos and replaced 2 sensors to no avail until I made up new battery cables to tidy things up from the previous owner's winch wiring bird's nest, and suddenly my 3 Amigos packed up and left.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Update time:

Received the D2 back from the indy a week before Christmas, with ATB lockers front and rear, but not the HD CW&P - outsourced workshop didn't do it like asked so it will be going back early this year, remapped, EGT gauge, 2 inch Terrafirma lift and shocks.

Then installed snorkel ourselves (that was interesting - darn templates) and also the Stone Accessories bash plate.

Also did the 3 amigos mod by bypassing the ground but it did not help, they are still intermittent, so have to find more faults to try and fix. Must be a sensor or wire somewhere. Hawkeye can't even clear the faults. Haven't had a gap to get to a Nanocom yet to try.

Anybody have a Nanocom they want to sell

Then got some tyres, did the spare wheel bracket swop, tyres still didn't fit, so cut the top plastic part of the bumper to make it fit.. then we went and went and tried it out.

With traction control, flip, this D2 is amazing, the way it kicks in the ATB lockers is something else. Without TC, it's a little more interesting and rely on articulation A LOT more. Can also left foot brake to get the ATBs to kick in but not as effective.

No major rubbing, even under full lock, did however catch the plastic trim off the back wheels. So wheel arches will be installed soon, along with custom rock sliders and a rear bumper which is now properly trashed... hehe.

Will take some more pics and post, but this will have to do for now.

This D2 is just pure fun.

PS: my EGTs are a bit high, but I've adapted my driving style to the opposite of the D4 V8. So far, it's ok... I'll be fitting bigger downpipe and exhaust soon to help with that and then also relocate the intercooler to in front of the radiator
    What is your EGT's running at?

Update time:

Received the D2 back from the indy a week before Christmas, with ATB lockers front and rear, but not the HD CW&P - outsourced workshop didn't do it like asked so it will be going back early this year, remapped, EGT gauge, 2 inch Terrafirma lift and shocks.

Then installed snorkel ourselves (that was interesting - darn templates) and also the Stone Accessories bash plate.

Also did the 3 amigos mod by bypassing the ground but it did not help, they are still intermittent, so have to find more faults to try and fix. Must be a sensor or wire somewhere. Hawkeye can't even clear the faults. Haven't had a gap to get to a Nanocom yet to try.

Anybody have a Nanocom they want to sell

Then got some tyres, did the spare wheel bracket swop, tyres still didn't fit, so cut the top plastic part of the bumper to make it fit.. then we went and went and tried it out.

With traction control, flip, this D2 is amazing, the way it kicks in the ATB lockers is something else. Without TC, it's a little more interesting and rely on articulation A LOT more. Can also left foot brake to get the ATBs to kick in but not as effective.

No major rubbing, even under full lock, did however catch the plastic trim off the back wheels. So wheel arches will be installed soon, along with custom rock sliders and a rear bumper which is now properly trashed... hehe.

Will take some more pics and post, but this will have to do for now.

This D2 is just pure fun.

PS: my EGTs are a bit high, but I've adapted my driving style to the opposite of the D4 V8. So far, it's ok... I'll be fitting bigger downpipe and exhaust soon to help with that and then also relocate the intercooler to in front of the radiator
    Glad you're happy with the ATB/TC combo. They compliment each other well
    Rubbing is most likely when steering and flexing. The tyre snags the back of the front wheel arch
    Rob
    V8 Defender 90 pickup. Lexus, Spitronics, 33" KL71, beadlocks, +2" Terrafirma, ATB's, 3.75 CW&P, 1.21 TC.
    Series IIA 88" pickup
    Disco 2 ES TD5
    Disco 1 ES 300TDi
    Subaru impreza WRX
    Porsche Boxster S
    Shamrock Cobra 350
    MG TF160 VVC ZandF remapped
    Buell XB12R

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    What EGT’s are you getting
    Quote Originally Posted by Disco beginner View Post
    What is your EGT's running at?
    With the current map, stock downpipe and stock exhaust with a 57mm freeflow, i can get to 800 if i wanted to... that's with flooring it though. I currently don't max it more than 650 though so have adapted the driving style until i get the temps down.

I am going to be going bigger downpipe and exhaust. Should I fit freeflow or straight pipe? 63 or 76mm?

Then, still need to relocate the intercooler to in front of radiator.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Check your battery lead to ground as well as the chassis ground point adjacent to the battery box and the engine ground.
    I had the 3 Amigos and replaced 2 sensors to no avail until I made up new battery cables to tidy things up from the previous owner's winch wiring bird's nest, and suddenly my 3 Amigos packed up and left.
    Yep, checked all the grounds. Even the one going to the starter is in good shape.

Cleaned all 4 ABS sensor and when i started again, the amigos were gone. drove for a day or 2 and then they showed up again. then disappeared again. Sigh. Need to get to a nanocom asap but been a little busy.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

With the current map, stock downpipe and stock exhaust with a 57mm freeflow, i can get to 800 if i wanted to... that's with flooring it though. I currently don't max it more than 650 though so have adapted the driving style until i get the temps down.

I am going to be going bigger downpipe and exhaust. Should I fit freeflow or straight pipe? 63 or 76mm?

Then, still need to relocate the intercooler to in front of radiator.
    i get 720 on mine pushing up long hills normally 450 500 cruising, how come intercooler was mounted behind radiator
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

i get 720 on mine pushing up long hills normally 450 500 cruising, how come intercooler was mounted behind radiator
    is it not normally?

is it not normally?
    Intercooler is always infront of the radiator or to side on some Landies, it needs the cold air, if behind the radiator you getting warm hot air flowing over intercooler so will not perform like it should and not cool the air in side

Intercooler is always infront of the radiator or to side on some Landies, it needs the cold air, if behind the radiator you getting warm hot air flowing over intercooler so will not perform like it should and not cool the air in side
    Ok yus, that would make sense... wtf. So somewhere in it's life, the flipping things were put in the wrong way around...

Ok yus, that would make sense... wtf. So somewhere in it's life, the flipping things were put in the wrong way around...
    Ideally yes. But in your application with the, inter cooler you have. It fits in stock position. The standard cooler on the TD5 is behind the radiator. The brackets supplied are not for a front mount option sadly..

If it was a custom cooler then that would have been possible. Personally i feel that the size of that intercooler would be sufficient for cooling. Its not a race car after all

Quote Originally Posted by Stan.the.man View Post
    Ideally yes. But in your application with the, inter cooler you have. It fits in stock position. The standard cooler on the TD5 is behind the radiator. The brackets supplied are not for a front mount option sadly..

If it was a custom cooler then that would have been possible. Personally i feel that the size of that intercooler would be sufficient for cooling. Its not a race car after all
    Shot Stan - yeah, intercooler is big enough for sure, but EGTs are still high after the map so will need to relocate it for better cooling at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan.the.man View Post

Is the Intercooler not in front of the radiator on Disco TD5? (in front meaning behind the grille) i am sure on mine it is fitted in front with the oil cooler just below.
    Last edited by Tsotsi; 2020/01/14 at 12:36 PM.
    .................................................. ......
    Gary W

Discovery 2 (Td5) Best 4x4xfar
    BMW GS 1200 Adventure. For when the road ends...
    Jurgens XT120..home away from home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotsi View Post
    Is the Intercooler not in front of the radiator on Disco TD5? (in front meaning behind the grille) i am sure on mine it is fitted in front with the oil cooler just below.
    100%, AC condenser is also "in front" when stock. But from what i am understanding, there might be an aftermarket IC at play here.

@Doug. The truck is looking awesome bru!
    Jordan

<a href="http://www.fuelly.com/car/land_rover/discovery-2/2004/jordanza/311455" target="_blank">

Quote Originally Posted by jordanza View Post
    100%, AC condenser is also "in front" when stock. But from what i am understanding, there might be an aftermarket IC at play here.

@Doug. The truck is looking awesome bru!
    Shot Jordz.

yeah, it is an aftermarket Cirrus cooler so it is 50% wider than normal.

Shot Jordz.

yeah, it is an aftermarket Cirrus cooler so it is 50% wider than normal.[/.
    So the original one was Infront they then put a aftermarket one in but behind the radiator, to me that is just going backwards have you felt the hot air doing pulled through the radiator, that is all going through the intercooler, how ever big it is it is not working as it should, you need to get it Infront some how, normally condenser, intercooler then radiator

So the original one was Infront they then put a aftermarket one in but behind the radiator, to me that is just going backwards have you felt the hot air doing pulled through the radiator, that is all going through the intercooler, how ever big it is it is not working as it should, you need to get it Infront some how, normally condenser, intercooler then radiator
    Ok, so the intercooler is not behind the radiator as I thought... not sure why I saw that in the first place.

Will need to do the downpipe and exhaust to see if that helps with the EGTs.

Should I go 63 or 76mm? Silencer or straight pipe?

76mm straight pipe.

Can always add a box later if needed
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    76mm straight pipe.

Can always add a box later if needed
    hehe. I like the way you think

Ok, so the intercooler is not behind the radiator as I thought... not sure why I saw that in the first place.

Will need to do the downpipe and exhaust to see if that helps with the EGTs.

Should I go 63 or 76mm? Silencer or straight pipe?
    Straight pipe 76mm. I just removed the boxes on my TD5 and I just love the sound of the 5 cylinder through that open pipe.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast