Do you carry a spare set of bearing, seal and spring.

Default Do you carry a spare set of bearing, seal and spring.

Name:  trailer3.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  145.2 KB

For you trailer do you carry a spare set of bearings, seals and a spring. (and what's needed for the spring)

I carry a set of bearings and a spare spring and all the u bolts, etc that is needed. all neatly attached to the axle, as per photo. This trailer has 14" rims, it is being converted from a boat to a rhino Yamaha 660 4x4 / farm trailer.

In 45 years of towing I have never needed a bearing, but in 1988 between Moremi and Savuti I did manage to break a spring. (The trailer was not over loaded). another long story.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/09/18 at 10:24 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Default Re: Do you carry a spare set of bearing, seal and spring.

I always carry an extra wheel bearing kit for the Bush Lapa. That is an interesting and clever way of transporting extra leaf springs . I've heard of bolts snapping on BL leaf springs that has since been upgraded but have not yet heard of leaf springs breaking. Personally and for myself, I'll take my chances and give the leaf springs a miss.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Just carry a bearing kit, 2 u bolts and 2 center bolts. IMHO if you snap a leaf spring blade, besides poor quality, you are overloaded or don't have the right springs. I'm under correction.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I carry a spare wheel bearing kit, spare set of studs and spare set of wheel nuts
    Last edited by Wave; 2019/09/18 at 11:49 AM.
    Geoff Craig
    '98 Suzuki Samurai - Sami the Samurai
    '09 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 (M)
    '10 Conqueror Comfort

Also got 2 bearing kits (plus grease + cloths) and 2 spare suspension bolts. Nothing else that can break on the van
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post

For you trailer do you carry a spare set of bearings, seals and a spring. (and what's needed for the spring)

I carry a set of bearings and a spare spring and all the u bolts, etc that is needed. all neatly attached to the axle, as per photo. This trailer has 14" rims, it is being converted from a boat to a rhino Yamaha 660 4x4 / farm trailer.

In 45 years of towing I have never needed a bearing, but in 1988 between Moremi and Savuti I did manage to break a spring. (The trailer was not over loaded). another long story.
    I don't even know how to replace those....

Even if you don't know how to change a bearing.

Sunday afternoon in the middle of the karoo or Botswana it's easy to find somebody that does know, but impossible to find a set of correct bearings.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/09/19 at 08:53 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

With a boat trailer you would be nuts not to take a spare bearing or two (and lots of rags) My boat trailer and the Jetstream have the same bearings so I have a bag containing 2x spare bearings, grease, a rim punch and a pile of rags and paper towel - the bag is on the checklist for both trailers.
    Regarding the spring pack, I had a mate that would secure a spare one in the same way on the axle for numerous Mozambique trips, we have never needed it but once gave it to a fellow boater at Maxixe who arrived late one night with a collapsed pack and a canvas wheel from rubbing on the mudguard!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

That packing form factor looks great for most use, but no use for boaters as the whole caboodle would be dropped into the sea with every launch. I have however seen some guys put it further up the trailer such as on the cross member between the front uprights on a cat. Very good idea though. I have recently wrapped my springs in some denso tape and so far so good. I also redo my bearings after every trip and keep an eye on things that way.

I have given serious though to a spare hub, as often when a bearing goes, it has eaten the hub buy the time you notice.