Mercedes Benz C270 CDI impressions

Post Mercedes Benz C270 CDI impressions

Hi

I understand that this isn't strictly 4x4 related but I'm looking for any impressions or opinions on reliability particularly on a higher mileage cars as the one I'm rather keen on is a 2002 model with just under 290k on the clock (I did read a previous thread from around 2015 on the forum regarding the cars but I was just wondering if anyone had different experiences with these cars).
    A quick Google search from various forums (either in the UK or South Africa) indicates that these diesel engines seem to last forever, rarely ever give issues and are incredibly powerful while also giving very good fuel consumption figures. The only problems I have heard of include those with the steering rack/power steering pump and a rare instance where a glow plug melted itself to the head
    I have spoken to a Mercedes approved workshop and they reckon that the diesel W203 Mercs are very good cars, parts are readily available (and are cheap) and that they would prefer the diesel models over the petrol as the petrol ones need to have a timing chain replacement every 100k kms which costs between 15 and 25k to do

Has anyone owned one of these or know someone who does that can point me in the right direction in terms of what I should be looking at before buying?

Thanks
    2006 Ford Ka 1.3i ROCAM (SOLD)
    2013 Chevrolet Utility 1.4i (SOLD)
    1990 Mercedes Benz 200E (SOLD)
    2013 Nissan NP200 1.6i 8 valve (Current, on the hunt for replacement)

Default Re: Mercedes Benz C270 CDI impressions

Hie TimBru,

You seem to have it all figured out. I agree with all you mentioned on the relative reliability of those diesels compared to petrols. The petrols must be the Kompressor versions that have lots of issues. The V6s are quite good.

My only concern is a general one which is on the fact that its a high mileage diesel. Maintenance will be quite steep even on a relatively reliable engine. For that reason I wouldn't personally go for it but if you fancy it and accept that risk then by all means you can go ahead. In that case, it would be advisable to carry out some of the maintenance yourselve.
    Talia

2017 Mercedes AMG GLE43 Coupe
    2015 Mercedes Benz C250
    2004 Mercedes Benz ML350
    1998 Mercedes Benz C200
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5Dci (Sold)

Hi Talia

Thanks for the response I am a little concerned about the mileage of the vehicle but I feel as though it shouldn't give huge trouble if it has been well maintained. I still see a ton of these W203s on the road nowadays and I know a few people with the petrol versions that seem to really enjoy them. I have literally only heard good things about these cars (my ballie seems reluctant to believe in the fuel consumption figures that people are claiming because of the weight of the vehicle and the fact that it's a large displacement diesel engine but I'm rather optimistic ) The one that I have booked an appointment to see looks in reasonably good nick but nothing has been confirmed so if I look at it and it is a basket case then I'll walk (there is nothing wrong with my current daily).

I used to own a W124 Merc a few years ago and I absolutely loved it. That car, however, was one owner from new and had been in the family for 27 years. It was very thirsty (giving around 12L/100kms on average, didn't help that I was a student at the time) and started giving an issue where the front brakes would bind but any sort of work or spares that I needed were readily available at a spares place and were not expensive at all (one of the indicator lights literally flew off on the freeway one night and I picked a brand new one up for R180 ).

I'm just looking at options to replace my current daily that might be a little more comfortable (and maybe more fun to drive ). I was looking at the BMW 3 series but I figured those would be far more costly to fix and maintain (not that I'm starting any arguments with BMW guys, I love them but Mercs have always held a special place in my heart). Thought I would ask around before making any concrete decisions.

Thanks
    Last edited by TimBru14; 2019/09/20 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added a sentence
    2006 Ford Ka 1.3i ROCAM (SOLD)
    2013 Chevrolet Utility 1.4i (SOLD)
    1990 Mercedes Benz 200E (SOLD)
    2013 Nissan NP200 1.6i 8 valve (Current, on the hunt for replacement)

Hi Talia

Just a word of caution, some 270's suffer from what is referred to as black death.

Easy to check and walk away if apparent.

Check out the work involved in my thread here:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...val?highlight=

David

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OceanWanderer For This Useful Post:

And the original thread I was looking for:
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ber?highlight=

Great vehicles they are. Dude here at my office drives a C270 w203 and he has clocked up over 340,000 kilos all original engine & gearbox.

But, do try and see if you could get a later model - facelift 2005, or later most of the small stuff were sorted out by that time.
    NEW Project: Daihatsu ROCKY (Balboa) 4x4 2.8

Platkar Haaihoendaai i20 1.4

Bought one new in 2002 and sold it in 2017. Big mistake,

Those are fantastic cars, gearboxes, difs and engines. Even though I had to replace injectors (Yes had to remove the cylinder head to get one out) and the turbo at about 180k. As for the rest no real problems. Yes aircon pump service, engine mountings, shocks, those things.

What amazed me most was 4,9 l/100km driving 120kn/h down to George. Back is different. Record down there from Kempton was 9,5 hours. Another amazing thing is that you can cruise about 90 behind a truck, get out to overtake and notice it is actually 3 trucks on the hill. By the time you pass the third one it is going at 170!

Services are relatively cheap with 20k km intervals!

Check it out I had 290k most enyouable kilos
    Last edited by Williepiet; 2019/09/20 at 02:20 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Williepiet For This Useful Post: