Hluleka Nature Reserve attacked - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Hluleka Nature Reserve attacked

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post
    I’m heartbroken :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...16cdf17c1efe6a

What more can be said?
    Great publicity for South Africa :

The horrific attack on the South African family left Matthew a widower and his 23-month-old son motherless.
    It comes just days before Prince Harry is due to arrive in South Africa with his wife Meghan and son Archie.

The royal couple are taking their son on a tour to visit Harry's 'favourite place in the world' - where crime is spiralling out of control with over 21,000 murders and 45,000 rapes carried out last year.

The army is currently deployed on the streets in townships on the outskirts of Cape Town to try and prevent more killings.
    #ProudlyBroughtByANC
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/09/18 at 07:17 PM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

This is sickening, how can anyone be so barbaric
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    This is sickening, how can anyone be so barbaric
    Yes.

What I want to know is why do we have to get the full details from foreign newspapers ?
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Iím heartbroken :

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...16cdf17c1efe6a

What more can be said?
    Shared four thousand times and counting.

Tourist will eventually think twice about visiting holiday resorts, close to the last playing card a country has left at itís disposal.

I've heard that our local guest houses in Simon's Town are experiencing a slew of cancellations from international visitor's because of the perceived wanton crime in our land...

Amazing how low profile these terrible crimes has become....bottom of page 7.

From first hand experience Iíd say thereís a serious drug problem in the area. We were watching Voetspoore and I said to SWAMBO there is so much more to see in the area, it could be a worldclass tourist destination.

My wife said sheíd go again but stay way clear of that specific area. Two bad experiences during our trip and both happened in that area. Drugs are rife.

Such a pity. I absolutely love this place.
    What kind of bad experiences did you have in the area and what kind of drugs are they having a problem with?

I've noticed drugs are often behind these kinds of unusual crime escalations in rural areas. It changes the whole dynamic, moves it from crimes of opportunistic theft to dealing with psychopaths high on very dangerous drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What kind of bad experiences did you have in the area and what kind of drugs are they having a problem with?

I've noticed drugs are often behind these kinds of unusual crime escalations in rural areas. It changes the whole dynamic, moves it from crimes of opportunistic theft to dealing with psychopaths high on very dangerous drugs.
    I believe Nyaope is widely available now in most towns. In one of the small towns a group of youths visibly high, circled the rig to see what they can plunder. Itís stressful as in these small towns you are inevitably limited by the traffic ahead of you. Fortunately everything is under lock and key.

The other instance we were at one of the well known scenic spots and a group of visibly intoxicated ďarea guidesĒ harassed us. Not lekker. Have to add, it was during the festive season so you need to take that into consideration.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    I've heard that our local guest houses in Simon's Town are experiencing a slew of cancellations from international visitor's because of the perceived wanton crime in our land...
    More actual than merely perceived !
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/09/19 at 07:50 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Finn McCool View Post
    The tourism is already seriously affected, Yesterday we had our local Eswatini tourism authority brief us on 6 month Jan -June 2019 international tourist arrivals. Now for internationals Eswatini is a 1 or 2 night add of for those coming to SA from the world. So we are tied to SA when it comes to foreign tourists.

The researcher mention that international arrivals to SA 6 month year to date Jan to June 2019 is around 40% down compared Jan to June 2018.

This in a situation where Global Tourism has grow 4-6%

These are raw number from sources and not statistics SA

And this is a period still not affected by the Xenophobic violence and this particular brutally tragic event.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

The problem with advocating a blanket call to all tourists to avoid SA is that there are 100's of thousands of people that rely on the tourism industry for a living. Maybe its now time that the industry stops taking Government business, a silent boycott so to speak, until such time as this piece of rubbish Government starts to act against crime.

I dont openly encourage people not to come to SA, but i do encourage friends and family to stay away from here. I recommend that they rather go to Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and even Zim. Just dont come here.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    The problem with advocating a blanket call to all tourists to avoid SA is that there are 100's of thousands of people that rely on the tourism industry for a living. Maybe its now time that the industry stops taking Government business, a silent boycott so to speak, until such time as this piece of rubbish Government starts to act against crime.

I dont openly encourage people not to come to SA, but i do encourage friends and family to stay away from here. I recommend that they rather go to Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and even Zim. Just dont come here.
    Most are opting for East Africa- Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania- less vias hassles and shorter flights from Europe.

Southern Africa is considered Long haul which does have an effect when planning trips.

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    Most are opting for East Africa- Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania- less vias hassles and shorter flights from Europe.

Southern Africa is considered Long haul which does have an effect when planning trips.
    And the sad part of this is that if there was no crime tourists would be flocking to our shores, we offer so much more as a tourist destination, visas or longhaul flights would make little difference - out government cannot see the forest for the trees - our potential is 400% better than ANY other emerging market!!
    FJC - Just Cruising

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post

maybe it's now time that Tourism SA gets properly lobbied by the tourism association (SATSA) to get their heads out their pants and engage with central government.........

and maybe the boycott of ANC and Government business would indeed give a clear message.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    maybe it's now time that Tourism SA gets properly lobbied by the tourism association (SATSA) to get their heads out their pants and engage with central government.........

and maybe the boycott of ANC and Government business would indeed give a clear message.
    It may be optimistic to think that the ANC actually cares.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

The tourism is already seriously affected, Yesterday we had our local Eswatini tourism authority brief us on 6 month Jan -June 2019 international tourist arrivals. Now for internationals Eswatini is a 1 or 2 night add of for those coming to SA from the world. So we are tied to SA when it comes to foreign tourists.

The researcher mention that international arrivals to SA 6 month year to date Jan to June 2019 is around 40% down compared Jan to June 2018.

This in a situation where Global Tourism has grow 4-6%

These are raw number from sources and not statistics SA

And this is a period still not affected by the Xenophobic violence and this particular brutally tragic event.
    I am in the business and unfortunately all the people I come into contact with report up to 40 % drop in forward bookings. It is not only crime but crime is a very large contributing factor.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Then there was this incident in Graskop around 10 days ago.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...lodge-20190910

Not to mention the Ukrainian hiker on table mountain.

Its a disaster - man made

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

Then there was this incident in Graskop around 10 days ago.

https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/N...lodge-20190910

Not to mention the Ukrainian hiker on table mountain.

Its a disaster - man made
    The young couple that were murdered next to the road when they ran out of diesel was also widely reported overseas.

Many of these crimes make it to the headline press in Europe.

If I was in Europe and saw these reports I certainly would not come here.

#ProudlyBroughtByANC

Iím in the industry, run a guest house and have had cancellations due to xenophobic violence. Fortunately the bookings were filled quickly.

Iím concerned that the government is totally overwhelmed with what is happening right now.

The top decision maker in the tourism industry in South Africa is a very long-standing client and I can assure you, they are very worried. Crime is out of control and they donít really have an answer...or so it seems.

State capture is on everyoneís mind but Iíd much rather see all that recourses pumped into getting rid of organized crime. Drugs flow freely in our streets.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

you people are soooo negative.

i better stay away from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    It may be optimistic to think that the ANC actually cares.
    they care about money

tourists = forex income = more tax money

no tourists..........easy sum to show them

9% of the GDP.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast