inverter to run an ice maker

Default inverter to run an ice maker

morning all
    i need your advice again please. i want to run a snowmaster 15kg ice maker off an inverter

1) is it possible?
    2) can it be a modified or must it be a pure sine wave
    3) what size inverter

looking forward to your advice as always

Default Re: inverter to run an ice maker

Do you perhaps know how many watts the ice machine is?
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

That doesnt look bad then - a small inverter will be able to run it without to much usage on a battery

What I did was convert one of these ups's to have the battery leads externally available with brad harrison connection so I can plug in a 105aH deep cycle battery box

https://www.takealot.com/rct-850va-l...s/PLID32714233

On the battery box I have a solar charge controller and a 100w panel contected to the charge controller

I used this setup 2 weekends ago to keep my 100W charger running for my laptop and didnt have any problems

I would just switch of the Ice maker come evening to preserve the battery - so make lots of ice and put it in your freezer while the sun is shining

Battery box used
    Name:  IMG_0588.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  79.2 KB
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

Your icemaker is rated about 100W, but that is not what is required for the compressor to start.
    I tried using a 300W pure sinewave unit, but every time the compressor started, the invertor tripped on overload.
    So I had to use a 600W invertor for my icemaker.

Next problem is kwh used. My unit normally takes 1h to run before I get decent ice cubes.
    Then a further couple of hours to make enough for one or two nights of ice.
    After doing all the sums and calculations, my solar system and batteries had to be so big, it did not really make sense to run the ice maker.

Now I just buy enough ice for a week or 2, using the solid blocks, and store that in the freezer.
    Power wise it works out much more economical if you running on solar or batteries.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Your icemaker is rated about 100W, but that is not what is required for the compressor to start.
    I tried using a 300W pure sinewave unit, but every time the compressor started, the invertor tripped on overload.
    So I had to use a 600W invertor for my icemaker.

Next problem is kwh used. My unit normally takes 1h to run before I get decent ice cubes.
    Then a further couple of hours to make enough for one or two nights of ice.
    After doing all the sums and calculations, my solar system and batteries had to be so big, it did not really make sense to run the ice maker.

Now I just buy enough ice for a week or 2, using the solid blocks, and store that in the freezer.
    Power wise it works out much more economical if you running on solar or batteries.
    i run a national Luna 15kg on a 3,000 watt inverter - more power than needed. It draws 11 amps at 12vdc.

I do not know about the Snowmaster icemaker, but National Luna suggest that you use at minimum an 1000W pure sine-wave invertor on their 12kg ice maker (220W)