Hwange Trip Advice

Default Hwange Trip Advice

Hi all, we leave tomorrow (18th) for Hwange - going via Stokpoort, Elephant Sands & then in via Pandamatenga & we just need to ask a few questions please.

- we are planning to fill up & fill 4x jerry cans in Pandamatenga before crossing - is there any problem with taking diesel over the border here?

- we are staying at Zimparks accommodation in Main Camp for the first time - any info & advice on the camp, the lodges, what they do or don't have, facilities in camp etc. Would also love some advice on good drives in the area?

- we are then at Davisons Camp for a few nights, believe it is great.

- we then head back to Sinamatella & staying in one of the 2 Zimparks lodges - believe lots has changed since our last stay in 2017.
    Any info & advice on their accommodation & what to expect, facilities etc would be greatly appreciated.

- Also need advice on paying of tips to staff at the camps, what is best, what is accepted (Rands, US, or Bond notes) & other any suggestions welcome!

- from there back out at Pandamatenga & down through Botswana to get back to SA

2006 Land Rover Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
    (Chief Planner of all trips / Chief Photographer / Navigator for Hubby)
    "Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

Default Re: Hwange Trip Advice

You should not have a problem taking Jerry's across the border, just declare it to be on the safe side.

Not much has changed at main camp at Hwange for a long time, if you have been there in 2017, it would probably be the same as you remember, it is outdated and rustic but clean and spacious. The electric fences have been knocked down by Ellies in some parts, so if you are travelling with kids, please be aware. There was no fridge in our unit but the communal kitchen is well equipped. Hat water is supplied via a donkey, electricity is a challenge with erratic power cuts. Still a wonderful camp with abundant wildlife around, game viewing is good but better in other parts of the Park.

I am sure you will have a great time, bush any day better then the office!! :-)

Enjoy and be safe!!

Cheers...
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to darraaz For This Useful Post:

Morning-go through my trip report -40 days Zimbabwe-i have a section on Hwankie including main camp and Sinametela which should help .You can take jerry can of up to 60lt into Zim although i took 80lt no problem.You can send a whatsapp to my contact at main camp to check on availability of diesel his name is Stanley +263773721673 he works in the kitchen and can help .Have a safe trip and enjoy -please send greetings to Stanley at Main camp and to George at Sinametela-Cheers

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kerry For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darraaz View Post
    You should not have a problem taking Jerry's across the border, just declare it to be on the safe side.

Not much has changed at main camp at Hwange for a long time, if you have been there in 2017, it would probably be the same as you remember, it is outdated and rustic but clean and spacious. The electric fences have been knocked down by Ellies in some parts, so if you are travelling with kids, please be aware. There was no fridge in our unit but the communal kitchen is well equipped. Hot water is supplied via a donkey, electricity is a challenge with erratic power cuts. Still a wonderful camp with abundant wildlife around, game viewing is good but better in other parts of the Park.

I am sure you will have a great time, bush any day better then the office!! :-)

Enjoy and be safe!!

Cheers...

Hi darraaz - thanks so much for the info, appreciated. When you say game viewing is better elsewhere - any recommendations for whilst driving to & from Main Camp & to and from Sinamatella?

Totally agree that being in the bush is way better than in the rat race
    Last edited by landylovers; 2019/09/17 at 10:58 AM.

"Africa is NOT for sissies" "The only man I envy is the man who has not yet been to Africa...for he has so much to look forward to" "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Morning-go through my trip report -40 days Zimbabwe-i have a section on Hwankie including main camp and Sinametela which should help .You can take jerry can of up to 60lt into Zim although i took 80lt no problem.You can send a whatsapp to my contact at main camp to check on availability of diesel his name is Stanley +263773721673 he works in the kitchen and can help .Have a safe trip and enjoy -please send greetings to Stanley at Main camp and to George at Sinametela-Cheers
    Hi Kerry, thanks so much for the reply - wow what a trip you guys did - how absolutely awesome.

Thanks for the contact at Main Camp, we will be sure to send both Stanley & George your regards!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to landylovers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by landylovers View Post
    Hi darraaz - thanks so much for the info, appreciated. When you say game viewing is better elsewhere - any recommendations for whilst driving to & from Main Camp & to and from Sinamatella?

Totally agree that being in the bush is way better than in the rat race

Its a pleasure.. I would recommend the loop roads toward Sinamatella passing waterholes such as Bembesi pan, where you can have a lekka brekkie or cuppa, this raod also passes the famous Baobab tree leading further onto Shapi Pan. A good stop over further is Shuma and Masuma too.. The animals will be congregated around the waterholes this time of the year.

I am not sure what is the water levels currently in the Park but the drought has affected many natural water holes.

Cheers
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion