Prado hire?

Thread: Prado hire?

Default Prado hire?

Hi guys, does anyone know of a place where I could hire a 2010 or similar model Prado and Fortuner for a weekend in Cape Town? I am considering buying one of these vehicles, but would like to drive them on gravel roads to see how they feel comfort wise. Currently in a 05 Forester. Would probably do a loop through the Cederberg. Op die Berg, Wuppertal, Clanwilliam and then back past Algeria and out. I donít need a hardcore 4x4 but want something as comfortable as possible on these kinds of roads. Would a Fortuner with modified suspension ever get near a Prado comfort-wise?

The Forester is a kickass car on gravel, but getting a little bit small for my requirements.

Thanks.

Default Re: Prado here?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Legg View Post
    Hi guys, does anyone know of a place where I could hire a 2010 or similar model Prado and Fortuner for a weekend in Cape Town? I am considering buying one of these vehicles, but would like to drive them on gravel roads to see how they feel comfort wise. Currently in a 05 Forester. Would probably do a loop through the Cederberg. Op die Berg, Wuppertal, Clanwilliam and then back past Algeria and out. I donít need a hardcore 4x4 but want something as comfortable as possible on these kinds of roads. Would a Fortuner with modified suspension ever get near a Prado comfort-wise?

The Forester is a kickass car on gravel, but getting a little bit small for my requirements.

Thanks.
    I had both and even with a modified suspension the Fortuner is no match for the Prado. Both in handling and comfort.

The Forester is very comfortable, but remains a car. Don't expect the same levels of comfort in a Prado, but then you gain so much more otherwise. The closest you will get is an FJ, but the packing is different
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I had both and even with a modified suspension the Fortuner is no match for the Prado. Both in handling and comfort.
    Ja nee wat, agreed. Just go for the Prado. Fortuner is not in the same class, not even the new Fortuner.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Try to find a 2nd hand dealer who is willing to give you a Prado for the day.

Since Francois mentioned the FJ:
    I got an FJ Cruiser, which shares the axles and suspension with the Prado 120. I put in an Old Man Emu suspension. Depending on the amount of accessories fitted and constant load carried, you get light, medium or heavy load kits. I chose the light load suspension setup and am very happy with the ride comfort on gravel roads.

Since space and gravel road comfort are what you are looking for, have you thought of looking at a Nissan Patrol?
    The solid axles might make for an even better ride on gravel. My 1983 60 series Cruiser rivals the ride of my FJ Cruiser on gravel. Even though it got leaf springs, the Old Man Emu suspension in that one gave it very nice ride on gravel.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the replies. Fuel economy (from an environmental perspective) is key to my choice of vehicles and therefore I am looking for a diesel. My understanding is these are more economic than the petrol versions. I still need to do my research into whether they are actually better for the environment.

As for the Nissan Patrol, I had not thought of that. From what I see from a quick look online, there are not too many diesel variants. Perhaps I am wrong.

My other option was to pimp the Forester a bit and buy a decent off-road trailer, but not sure I am so keen on that idea. I was hoping to get something taller for game viewing.

Interestingly I spoke with a buddy who drives a 2007 Fortuner stock. He told me the Forester was WAY more uncomfortable than his Forester. I guess we get used to our vehicles. Lol.

I went through the same thought process a while ago when looking at a new family car for my wife. Having owned two Fortuners and a Hilux before I know that they are not the best on gravel when it comes to handling, I looked at Pradoís due to their more comfortable ride, but at my price point I was not keen on paying for an older vehicle with highish mileage. My brother in law has owned a TX diesel and two VX petrols he said that the air suspension in the VX on its normal setting that he used 90% of the time is equal to the TX without the air suspension. Anyway after test driving a couple of Pradoís but being put off by the mileage every time I settled on buying a new Everest 2.2 Diesel and thus far I have been very happy, the ride is great, much better than the Fortuners. The diesel consumption is much better than a 4.0 petrol.

The jump seats in the back is also more practical than the Fortunerís.
    Nissan Navara d23 (Leatherman)
    Jeep Cherokee 3.2 (Swamboís sportscar/ mommy taxi)

Default Re: Prado hire?

Maybe also have a look at Chevrolet Trailblazer. Read through the Chev section, there are threads about the Trailblazer. Because Chevrolet has left the SA market, there are a couple of bargains to be had.
    Otherwise, if you wait a while, Isuzu MU-X?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser