Route advice Gorongosa - Majete (Malawi)

Default Route advice Gorongosa - Majete (Malawi)

Hi all,

We're planning a trip through Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique (again), Zimbabwe (again) and Botswana for this December / January.

In particular I would be interested to hear about the road conditions and fuel (petrol) availability we can expect along the route, considering we will be traveling in the height of the rainy season, as well as the latest reports on attacks having occurred in the area.

We are looking to enter Mozambique from Chimanimani (Zim) to Gorongosa, and travel into Majete (Malawi) before we head out to lake Malawi. We are unsure which road to take to Majete (staying around Nsanje (any recommendations?), crossing the Zambezi at Caia or drive through Tete and stay there for the night).

Later we will pass through Tete on the way from South Langwua to Harare, so we'd prefer to skip Tete on our way north.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Route advice Gorongosa - Majete (Malawi)

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    Hi all,

We're planning a trip through Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique (again), Zimbabwe (again) and Botswana for this December / January.

In particular I would be interested to hear about the road conditions and fuel (petrol) availability we can expect along the route, considering we will be traveling in the height of the rainy season, as well as the latest reports on attacks having occurred in the area.

We are looking to enter Mozambique from Chimanimani (Zim) to Gorongosa, and travel into Majete (Malawi) before we head out to lake Malawi. We are unsure which road to take to Majete (staying around Nsanje (any recommendations?), crossing the Zambezi at Caia or drive through Tete and stay there for the night).

Later we will pass through Tete on the way from South Langwua to Harare, so we'd prefer to skip Tete on our way north.

Thanks for your help!
    Hi,

hopefully by the time of your trip the rain will have started so expect pot holes and all sort of road damage and delays throughout your route.

From Gorongosa you need to find your way to Tete.If the roads are bad you might have to travel back to Chimoio and connect to the main road: I have never been to Gorongosa so I am not familiar with the alternative route (looking at the map, maybe via Maringue and Macossa?). After Tete, keep driving towards the Malawi border (Mwanza border).

Then you will hit Blantyre and stay the night, or if it's early in the day you will carry on to Majete ( 1hour 30 mins from Blantyre). Nsanjie is way further down the road going south, way past Majete...I am wondering why you would want to stay there? Plus Nsanje is a scorching, malaria infested place: in Chichewa Nsanje means 'disease'. You are better off staying in one of the Majete lodges/camps (Tawale camp for example, or the community campsite), or Ngona lodge, which is just outside the park.

From Majete to South Luangwa: drive to Lilongwe , stay overnight, then the next day head for the Zambia border (Mchinji border), once you have crossed the border you are in Chipata. Follow directions for Mfuwe/South Luangwa. Road has been done some years back and it's all tar. If you leave Lilongwe in the morning you can be in Mfuwe/South Luangwa by lunchtime.

Cheers
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2019/09/19 at 08:12 PM.