265/70/17 A/T Tyre advice

Default 265/70/17 A/T Tyre advice

The OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT22's on my 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser are due for replacement soon. They performed well in the sand on our trip through the Central Kalahari, Moremi and Chobe last month. However, a sidewall puncture from an Acacia thorn left me wanting a tyre with stronger sidewalls and perhaps a more aggressive thread, since we're expecting to traverse muddy patches on an upcoming trip into Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia in December / January.

Considering price, sidewall reinforcement and thread pattern I was eyeing the new Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls, but since I have not heard great reviews on their durability: all is again on the table. I drive 90% on tar, only taking the vehicle off-road during holidays.

From personal experience: what tyres would you recommend and why? Many thanks for a quick reply!

Default Re: 265/70/17 A/T Tyre advice

I thought the Kevlar is only in the tread and not the sidewall

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Greenhorn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HerrRudiger View Post
    The OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT22's on my 2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser are due for replacement soon. They performed well in the sand on our trip through the Central Kalahari, Moremi and Chobe last month. However, a sidewall puncture from an Acacia thorn left me wanting a tyre with stronger sidewalls and perhaps a more aggressive thread, since we're expecting to traverse muddy patches on an upcoming trip into Mozambique, Malawi and Zambia in December / January.

Considering price, sidewall reinforcement and thread pattern I was eyeing the new Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar reinforced sidewalls, but since I have not heard great reviews on their durability: all is again on the table. I drive 90% on tar, only taking the vehicle off-road during holidays.

From personal experience: what tyres would you recommend and why? Many thanks for a quick reply!
    Those tryes have got 2 ply sidewalls and according to the information on the tyre itself, neither of those 2 plies is Kevlar. Apart from that, the GY Wrangler is a rather tame A/T tyre and I don't think it would cope well in mud.
    Have you considered the Dunlop AT3G?
    Otherwise look at the General Grabber M/T or any other M/T tyre for that matter.
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2019/09/16 at 05:17 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

For a true strong sidewall tyre you need to look at LT spec tyres only.

That leaves only a few options but they are pricier than the normal A/T tyres:

Cooper ST Maxx
    BFG KO2
    Michelin LTX2 (but the LT spec is not common)
    Cooper AT3

I think there are a few others but I canít remember them all now.
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Look at the Goodyear Wranglar Duratracks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renier DeVilliers For This Useful Post:

Had Cooper ST Maxx. Didn't work well.

Went onto Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 and am LOVING them. Same size as you're looking for.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    For a true strong sidewall tyre you need to look at LT spec tyres only.

That leaves only a few options but they are pricier than the normal A/T tyres:

Cooper ST Maxx
    BFG KO2
    Michelin LTX2 (but the LT spec is not common)
    Cooper AT3

I think there are a few others but I canít remember them all now.
    Dunlop AT3G come in LT spec
    Yokohama GO15 also some sizes in LT spec
    - Commander Hemi

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adriaan29 For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice! I've done a bit of research and decided to look for a good deal on 4x Dunlop AT3G's. The price considering LT spec and 3-ply sidewalls is really rather good, as well as the thread depth and pattern. I cannot find any good feedback or long-term reviews, but I will do one when I've passed the first 10.000k or so.

You might have already found this in your research

https://www.tyrereview.com.au/dunlop...k-at3g-reviews

Seems to be a reasonable tyre
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Very interesting site Estee. In example;

The rating for those Dunlops is based on 14 reviews and 489 000 kms and score 80%.

In comparison the rating for the BF KO2ís is based on 400 reviews and 13 000 000 kms and score 78%.

2% difference in the score but 386 more reviews and 12 511 000 more kms for the BFís.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    Had Cooper ST Maxx. Didn't work well.

Went onto Mickey Thompson baja atz p3 and am LOVING them. Same size as you're looking for.
    What was wrong on the coopers and what is the advantages on Mickey's, and how big price diffrence ? Need to replace my cooper STT pro's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie loubser View Post
    What was wrong on the coopers and what is the advantages on Mickey's, and how big price diffrence ? Need to replace my cooper STT pro's.
    Major balancing issues.

I did a warranty claim on the Coopers and the Mickey Thompson were the replacement at no extra expense to me.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

on our 4x4 day we had 2 tire supliers testing out new tires, one guy had a set of Mickey Thompson's, and the other a set of Kenda's. They did some of the more dificult sections that the rest of the group opted not to do and the tyres worked really hard. I spent some time with both of the guys afterwards inspecting and discussing the tires afterwards, the Kenda's performed better and I was previously lookign at Dunlop AT3G's , but now I believe I will be going with the Kenda's. Unfortunately i cannot remember the model name on the Kenda's.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190923_083401.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	509.2 KB 
ID:	541810
    Mickey Thompson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190923_083441.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	541811
    Kenda

Who sells Kenda tyres ?

Fit it

I went to the Menlyn (Pretoria) Dunlop centre yesterday. Since they are completely refurbishing the shop (a new owner has taken over), they took all stock out. The owner mentioned they had some unwanted visitors the night before. From the top of his head he named a price of about 11.000 Rand for a set of four AT3G's (265/70/17), including fitment, balancing and alignment. He seemed willing to take over the four AT22's that have about 5mm's of thread left (and two plugs) for 300 Rand each which I think is quite generous. This makes the price similar to General Grabber AT3' or Goodyear Wrangler Adventure's, considering that the Dunlops are 3-ply and not 2-ply like the General Grabbers and the Goodyears, I think the Dunlops are a great deal.

He mentioned that Dunlop assumes (not guarantees) about 130.000 kilometers for a set of the AT3G's and problems regarding stock that were mentioned earlier seem not to be a problem anymore. Dunlop seems to suffer from some image problems here in South Africa, but I'm more than willing to be the guinea pig for that price, especially considering that the reviews that I did find mention that roadnoise is only marginally higher with the AT3G's than the OEM AT22's which are rubbish in the wet and very highway biased. I'll make sure to update once fitted (next week) and I have made some kilometers on various terrains.

In my opinion, tires are not a budget item. One looks for the best tyre and you "haal uit en wys". I have spent twenty years travelling to many destinations in Africa and there are two brands that consistently stay at the top of the tree when it comes to heavily loaded overland vehicles traversing rough terrain - BFG and Cooper. No question that the Mud Terrains are stronger, but they don't last as long and are as noisy as hell. Personally I would choose the A/T's.

if you want a tyre for town and the occasional gravel road, different story - go and read the tyre shootouts in SA4x4 or Drive magazines and choose accordingly. I believe that in the last shootout, the General Tyre A/T brand came out pretty strongly. But when the vehicle is loaded with supplies and equipment and you are travelling from Muchene Gorge to Matusedona, do yourself a favor - get BFG A/T's. Rather buy less beer to make up for the cost of purchase. The peace of mind is worth it.

2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 S/W