3L DTeq KB6 4x4 Oil Change info

Default 3L DTeq KB6 4x4 Oil Change info

Greetings!

Here's a question for all service DIY'ers.

So... My Suzie's out of maintenance plan and I'm not too keen on going back to the agents.

Did some digging in the user manual and found the following info:

There's a sticker in the engine bay which says 5W30 for the engine oil but in the manual they mention anything from 10W40 to 15W40 for our temperature range. I'm getting very smooth results with a 5W40 Liqui Moly full synthetic in my Defender TD5. Is there any reason not to use this? What are you guys using?

Decrypting (hopefully correctly...) the user manual it seems my Isuzu has the MUX5S manual transmission which requires BOT402 gearbox oil (made by Castrol). Quick research says it's a 75W85 GL-4 spec oil. Liqui Moly only make a 75W90 GL-4+ (GL-4 / GL-5) spec oil, would this be an issue? (yes, I'm a Liqui Moly fan )

For the transfer case which seems to be the T150 (diesel models) the manual recommends a Dexron VI oil which is an automatic transmission fluid... really?? Am I missing something?

The requirements for the diffs seem straight forward, they need a 75W90 GL-5 spec oil.

Last but not least, what is the recommended oil change intervals for the gearbox, transfer case and diffs? No info in the manual

Is there anything I'm missing or misinterpreting here?

Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Off-road: '14 Isuzu KB300 4x4
    On-road: '08 Audi A5 3.2 Quattro
    Toy: '98 Defender 90 TD5
    SOLD: '07 Audi A4 2.0 TDI
    SOLD: '02 Mitsu Colt V6 4x4
    SOLD: '04 Mazda RX-8
    SOLD: '97 Mitsu Pajero V6 GDi SWB

Default Re: 3L DTeq KB6 4x4 Oil Change info

Hi GuidoI assume from your sig that you have a 2014 model.I also service my own bakkie and for the engine oil, I stick to Delo 400. When I still had it serviced at the stealer they used anything from 15W40 to 5w30. So would be fine with the LM oil you want to use, however, I do believe in thicker oils for warmer climates like you have in Windhoek.For the gearbox I strictly stick to BOT402. The Suzis are finicky when it comes to gearbox oil. So I would suggest you stick to BOT402.For the diff on my 4x2, I use a Castrol (I think) oil that is 75W90 GL-5. I guess oil from any manufacturer would be fine in the diff as long as it is GL5 and the correct viscosity.Unfortunately, I cannot give any advice on the transfer case oils.In the service manual of my 2008 KB300, they state that gearbox and diff oils are replaced every 30 000km. Currently I am keeping to the 30 000km intervals for my bakkie on gear and diff oils as well as 15 000 km intervals on oil, oil filter, air filter changes and dieselfilter changes.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Namakwalander For This Useful Post:

Sorry about that message not displaying correctly
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

The 15k engine oil change interval is really pushing the limit for any mineral oil. 15k is most probably OK-ish for full synthetic.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the input!

I have heard about the Isuzu's finicky oil specs for the gearboxes, glad you say the same. My dad's old KB260 needed normal 15W40 engine oil in the gearbox, anything else would cause some bearings to seize.

The service manual does however specify a 60000km interval for gearbox oil changes in "severe conditions" like mining operations and the likes. But nothing on normal use

Maybe touring around with a loaded car in the Namibian desert does already count as "severe"?

Having worked for an Isuzu dealer, the 6th Generation vehicle requirements are as follows :

Engine oil - 5W30 (5W40 is a good alternative) fully synthetic oil. It must be Dexos2 approved. Castrol make some good options here. Changed every 15 000km.

Gearbox oil - BOT402. Changed every 45 000km.

Transfer box oil - BOT402. Changed every 45 000km.

Differential oils - 75W90 GL5 - synthetic. Changed every 105 000km. If not synthetic, then changed every 45 000km. This is especially important in these diffs, known for excessive wear with the wrong oils and can fail spectacularly. Synthetic oil would be first choice here.

I read you're a Liqui Moly fan, but BOT402 is good stuff and is recommended by the manufacturer.

Also, keep in mind that the front wheel bearings need to be regreased and bearing seals replaced every 60 000km. On a 4x4 that includes removing the stub axle entirely and greasing the needle roller bearing behind the stub axle. This is important because there's a thrust washer that sits between the bearing and CV joint. This WILL fail if not greased at these intervals.

Hope this helps

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jared, some good info there!

I'm still puzzled about the transfer case which my Suzie has and its oil recommendation.

Sounds like you get 2 different transfer cases, one for diesel models (with the MUA/MUX transmission) and one for the petrol model (with the Eaton FSO2105 transmission) - am I reading this correctly from the manual??

Diesel Models have the T150 transfer case which requires Dexron VI oil, while petrol models have the AMM-N0V transfer case which requires BOT402.

Can the actual transfer case model number be read from the transfer case housing itself? Any other way to find this out?

From memory, there should be a sticker or identification of sorts on the transfer box. The transfer box on the Eaton gearbox is quite a hefty bit of kit - essentially the same unit as found on the Trailblazer 4x4s (the Eaton gearbox itself is almost the same unit as found on the first of the 5 speed manual Trailblazer vehicles). I digress. The transfer box on the MUA/MUX gearboxes is a different design entirely and a little bit smaller than the above mentioned petrol transfer box.

The only time we used Dexron VI was in the Trailblazers, in both the manual and auto vehicles. BOT402 was used in all the Isuzus, in both the gearbox and the transfer box, even though the owner's manual stated Dexron VI. This was at the recommendation of GM/Isuzu themselves. The service plans only allowed for the use of BOT402 as well. It's a good oil and if changed at the required intervals, you'll have good service with it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jared Mk3 For This Useful Post: