Beetle motor woes

Default Beetle motor woes

It's not a 4x4 I know but rathe a beach buggy, but still a VW and I need advice please. I bought a recon motor and had it fitted by a workshop. From there it all started going wrong, I had a motor smoking from the breather, now I have a reconed peace of sh....
    Anyhow, it would idle perfect and as soon as it gets underload start to stutter under accelleration and backfire. I've had them then fit an electronic ignition system as apparently the coil and points were an issue and they apparently had the wrong plugs fitted. Ran great for the first 100m then worse than before. Next step, bought a new carb and fitted it to the motor plus cleaned out the tank and fitted a new fuel line from front to back. Improved 70% and by this time I've had it with the workshop.
    Since I've found the "brand new" plug wires were not seated properly on the connectors on the distribution cap, crimped them to fit snugly and had another 10% improvement.
    Now the car runs okay but it feels like it's running out of fuel as I drive, it will run well and the next moment give a jerk almost like when you turn off the ignition while driving and then go again. When decelerating it will also backfire. Checked timing marks and they are all aligned, didn't check with a timing light though.

My train of thought is 1. running out of fuel due to float level of new carb and the cut is just enough for it to fill again as it's almost rhythmic, 2. ignition system has gone bad and need to rewire from ignition all the way to the back, 3. the plug wires they fitted is a LOS and needs to be replaced by proper set.

Any advice will be appreciated please, if invested a load of money for the rebuild and it's slowly getting to me.
    2015 Nissan X-Terra
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill

Default Re: Beetle motor woes

Is your automatic choke connected and working? If the wire that connects the choke comes loose the car drives then dies with a cough and splutter. It's about the only thing I know about beetle engines. Good luck.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 VX 4.7L V8

Back fire = incorrect timing.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wiel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    Back fire = incorrect timing.
    Yes as well look that distributor is nice and tight so doesnt shift while driving. Also distributor cap no cracks. Bogey cords as well
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

You'd have to wonder about the skills of the outfit that did the reconditioning. I'd be checking compression too to make sure all is well with valves and bores/rings. I don't know anything about these engines apart from similarity to the old BMW airhead motorcycle engine, can you inspect alignment of cam and crankshaft easily without tearing the thing apart?
    Last edited by B Murr; 2019/09/16 at 09:49 PM.

The engine could start of not as a proper recon

we have Alot of Problems with the current electronic ignition systems available
    The China distributors is ####
    Tp100 work then intermitted do as you describe

We use a G tech system to replace the condensor and the points remain in the Distributor to switch the side state device in the unit
    And fit a new Bosch blue coil

We just installed a recon motor in a split window kombi and used the owners original ignition system
    With same
    But eventually got it sorted

What area are you

You welcome to give me a call for advice
    Pierre 0826008663 from Vdubtech in PRIMROSE Germiston

Also check your vacuum advance on the distributor. Years ago on my beach buggy it took me a while to realize that the (almost) clogged up vacuum pipe (from carb to distributor's vacuum valve) caused most of my troubles.
    *** ADMIN REMOVED ***

My first year and part of my second year appyship, hauling these out, stripping down and rebuilding them for Beetles, kombis and 411s with the odd Kharmann Gia thrown in, was all I did.

Beautiful simplistic engines, like older bikes. If they had fuel and spark they would run.

Sounds like a timing issue (Backfires) as well as a possible needle and seat jamming (for the float chamber) or jet clogging/setting in the carb(s) for the fuel starvation problem or fuel pump or fuel line crimp/restriction/clogging. Could a sticky valve be a problem?

Check distributor where it sits in engine, there is a male/female slot, this can wear and give too much play sometimes and not something that is always checked. HT leads, if graphite cored, (Bougi) these can snap inside the protective sheath giving all sorts of intermittent problems and this happens if handled robustly. While they give better performance, I prefer the old skule types with wire inside

At the risk of over simplifying and taking your frustration into account, I think it is something fairly simple

Any chance of a picture to see how the engine is arranged/set-up
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/09/17 at 07:07 AM.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Thanks for all the replies, seems I'm still on track however I'm away from home for the next 2 - 3 months so I'll get back at it when I'm back home. Hopefully I'll get it running smooth for December so I can go and play at Witsand.
    2015 Nissan X-Terra
    2006 KTM 950 Adv

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
    Winston Churchill