Garmin Nuvi 3790V

Default Garmin Nuvi 3790V

Need some serious guidance here please. I have got this old Nuvi 3790V still in perfect nick so I would like to continue using it. It has got a 500MB SD card in with a 2008 version of the Southern Africa roadmaps on it.

Some questions here:

Will I be able to purchase a new SD card with the latest Southern Africa map on it and be ready to go again?
    If so where can I buy it, the Garmin website doesn't list this GPS when trying to find out about maps for it.

If the SD card option is not available to me is there any alternative method to update the maps?

Or.....have I now just got a paperweight in hand?

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 3790V

You should be able to purchase and download the latest City Navigator Southern Africa Maps, online. (Although it might not be a good idea now with them being hacked. I am not sure if they have sorted it out yet). If I read the spec correctly, you should have more than sufficient space on the unit itself for installing the map. However, I do not see the Life Time Maps as an option, for separate purchase, anymore. The image below will show you what it will cost to purchase the map. You will need to use Garmin Express for downloading and installing the map. If you do want to go this route, it may be wise to call Garmin support just to confirm that the map will be compatible. I see there web site says that the current map version is the latest one, so theoretically it should not be a problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	541162

Rather than spending R1 079 on a single copy of the map, an alternative could be to purchase another unit at a similar price. I see Makro has a special now on the Garmin Drive 40LM for R1 499. Then it also comes with Life Time Maps. That is now for the life of the specific unit. The screen size will be the same as on your 3790.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	541163

If you buy the new unit, you can then buy Tracks4Africa and load that onto your 3790. When you then do overlanding or on holiday, you can run the one with T4A and the other with City navigator. That is if you don't mind having 2 units on the windscreen. The disadvantage is obviously having 2 units on the windscreen. The advantage is that you can see both maps at the same time without having to switch from the one to the other depending which one you want to use.

Your other alternative is to download something like OpenStreetmaps that should give you fairly good coverage, for free. I am not using it myself, but here are guys on the Forum who uses it.

Cheers.

Default Re: Garmin Nuvi 3790V

Thanks for the response and what you are suggesting regarding buying a new unit with lifetime updates and using the old one with T4A makes good money sense.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Roliocat For This Useful Post: