Main battery getting fried in Toyota Landcruiser Bakkie - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Main battery getting fried in Toyota Landcruiser Bakkie

I think there are many potential culprits that generate a problem culminating into the fried battery.
    I suggest you move into structured problem solving mode
    1) check the source of energy for faults i.e altenator
    2) check energy storage device for faults i.e have the battery tested
    3) do a clean run i.e disconnect ALL energy users i.e lights, radio, additional spotlights, auxillary batteries etc
    4) if the result is positive, your problem lies with the add-on
    Sorry for sounding like a teacher, but this is the only way to find electrical problems
    2002 Discovery td5

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nambro For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheoM View Post
    Was that when the alt was charging or the solar ?

I would chuck the CTEK and replace it with a Victron 100/30A solar controller and the Victron Energy Cyrix splitter.
    Hi Hi. Thanks sorry yes to clarify the 13.9 is when the vehicle is running and the main battery has had time to charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    I think there are many potential culprits that generate a problem culminating into the fried battery.
    I suggest you move into structured problem solving mode
    1) check the source of energy for faults i.e altenator
    2) check energy storage device for faults i.e have the battery tested
    3) do a clean run i.e disconnect ALL energy users i.e lights, radio, additional spotlights, auxillary batteries etc
    4) if the result is positive, your problem lies with the add-on
    Sorry for sounding like a teacher, but this is the only way to find electrical problems
    Thanks for this. Yes I agree this is a good approach. One challenge is that it seems somewhat intermittent. Do you have any suggestions how I can go about #1. For #2 a new battery should eliminate that issue. #3 is all good.

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    These LED volt gauges are cheap and easy to install. It solved a intermittent charging problem in my vehicle within a few drive cycles.
    Thanks. Yes this could be quite useful. I do have a battery monitor which is good to see if your battery is flat but not so useful if the issue is overcharging as it maxes out at 14.2. How high to the LED volt gauges go? Any brand names you can provide. THings like this are hard to find in Zambia

Quote Originally Posted by zpret View Post
    I have a 105 landcruiser, and after 3 sets of batteries (amongst others in the Liuwa valley, Botswana and Northern Namibia, with so- called experts all advising that it is the regulator, etc., I one day saw a Andrew st Pierre White video where two exact similar 105’s, Andrew’s and another person, one has heat isues, and one not, they pin-pointed the issue to spot lights and air flow - Since I removed my spot lights, it has neen a number of years with no issues - also search for battery issues due to heat in Ozzie - with my spot lights on my vehicle the tunnel between the front seats used to get too hot to touch, now resolved. And yes, my alternator was replaced at ons stage to try to resolve the issue, and the other clear fact was that I had a ctek dc to dc, so the ctek cannot overcharge - I had to repaint the inside of my fender due to spilled acid. Look at your airflow.
    Yes, this is very consistent with my problem. Certainly the vehicle is running a bit hot. When you say that the spotlights cause heat issues is it just that the heat generated by the spotlights then heats the air flowing through the engine?
    WHen you say look at your airflow do you mean the air coming through the radiator from the grille? This could certainly be part of the problem as we have fairly dense shade cloth on the grille to reduce grass seeds coming in. Without that the radiator and aircon condenser get filled with grass seeds. Certainly this reduces air flow so it is a bit of a trade-off. Maybe the combination of the LED light bar and the grass screen is a problem. I would have thought for a given lumens that they LED light bar would prodice less heat. But this LED light bar is very bright.

Thanks very much

In the 1980s I had a problem with an Audi 100. It would deposit a blackish layer inside the light bulbs and eventually blow the bulb. It also had excessive acid residue on the battery under the seat. The auto electricians removed the alternator and tested it on the test bench, but found no fault.
    When driving at night, I would notice that the headlights would suddenly become super bright, then after a while revert back to normal. A multimeter connected to the cigarette lighter while driving revealed that the voltage would go to 16+V for short periods.
    I replaced the original Bosch electronic regulator (with brushes) mounted on the alternator with a new Bosch unit and replaced all the light bulbs. End of the problem.

Testing an alternator for overcharging can be a bit tricky. A simple test would be to check voltage changes when revving the car. If there is a significant increase with increasing revs, the regulator is faulty.
    Depending on the alternator control (direct feedback from battery or ECU controlled) it may also be faulty control wiring and if it is ECU controlled, a faulty ECU. The control wiring tels the regulator to give more juice the lower the battery voltage is. If that is faulty and the feedback to the alternator is "more Juice" whereas the battery is full, the battery is bein overcharged resulting a toasti.
    2002 Discovery td5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2