My son's gym supplement MK 677

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default My son's gym supplement MK 677

Hi guys, my son is very passionate about working out and is buffing up amazingly! He is contemplating to start using MK 677, which simulates increase levels of growth hormones.

Obviously we are very cautious about any hormone mentioning stuff and are booking an appointment with our gp to discuss.

I have two considerations about this:
    1. He is 17 and probably still full of growth hormones from puberty. Would he actually benefit?
    2. Reading up on it, it seems that the possibility exists that his anxiety levels could become increased. He is already taking strain from anxiety during tests and the last thing that we want is his grade eleven marks to take a tumble.

But as you may guess, the gym buddies are on this so the convincing isn't all that straight forward.

If you know more about MK 677, I'd appreciate your information or opinion!

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Default Re: My son's gym supplement MK 677

Supplements must be one of the biggest money making gimmicks this century.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

IMHO best is stay away from stuff that builds muscles fast etc. Rather buy him health drinks that replace lost vitamins and minerals that he may not be having due a certain way of life eating or home diet.

My sons friend went into muscle boost foods and eventually steroids to beef up. The kid is in matric and already has liver problems. I say build up naturally. But this is just my opinion, not an expert.

PS a Mr World Johnny something decades ago got where he was by using body resistance weight training and eating a normal balanced diet.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Never heard of the stuff but I'm interested in the subject now.

Seems to have the name Ibutamoren. Some interesting studies have been done.

Seems like it is still an experimental drug.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

My personal view:
    - What brand is he looking at?
    - In ZA, the labels on these products does not have to reflect what is in it, and very often doesn’t.
    - There are many report (look at SADA OR SAIDS), where products were ‘spikes’ with loads of other [email protected] to get quick results.
    - GH and IGF1 when elevated without associated increases in other hormones tend to cause muscle bulk of poor quality.
    - Methylated oral agents (such as this) are metabolized in liver before becoming bioavailable. This places massive loads on the liver, and can cause permanent damage.
    - Muscle bulk and strength is always reversible. How will he maintain the ‘gains’? He cannot stay on this long term.
    - It is a banned substance.
    - What potential gains could possibly justify the risks?!
    - Many of the claims on the web are false.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Eat better.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

A few of the side effects I see daily due to abnormal levels of growth hormones and testosterone taken for training:

Breast development (yes...growing boobs)
    Acne (chest and back and face)
    Facial flushing
    Alopecia (baldness, hair loss)
    Irritability and Anxiety
    Hypogonadism (yes, the testis shrink away to leave two raisins, most of the times irreversible which means his testis will stop producing Testosterone for the rest of his life)
    Infertility (due to the above)
    Liver abnormalities
    Decreased kidney function.
    Abnormal lipid metabolism (cholesterol problems)
    Rarely, increased prostate size and even increased risk of prostate cancer.
    Abnormal muscle strength that result in avulsion injuries of the ligament attachment to the bones (the ligaments literally rip out of the bone)
    I had a patient who developed such severe hormone imbalances that he developed a severe Psychotic Depressive episode and was admitted to a Psychiatric institution for 6 weeks whilst they struggled to normalise his hormones and his mood.

Yes, there are ways to get around some of these side effects but that usually mean taking more meds to counter the side effects (i.e: taking an oestrogen blocker like Arimidex or Kesar normally used in the treatment of breast cancer to block the conversion of the abnormal testosterone levels in to oestrogen etc....). These have their own side effects again and so you start a vicious cycle of taking more meds to prevent side effects from the other meds.

He must think carefully....

There are numerous other healthy supplements, training methods, dietary methods etc...that has been proven to increase growth hormone release in “healthy/safe” amounts and that will build more functional muscle.
    Last edited by Regard; 2019/09/15 at 11:35 AM.

12. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Regard For This Useful Post:

Rather dont.
    Use natural stuff, protien and a proper diet.
    The moment you start supplementing hormones it stuffs up the bodys natural production thereof.
    Then he is only 17 years old. I dont think its good at such a young age.
    Last edited by FWM; 2019/09/15 at 11:33 AM.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Just no.
    ZS6VL

Sounds like your son is most definitely hanging around the wrong crew at gym. You also mention he's buffing up nicely so he's obviously doing just fine on good food and hard work.

Don't let him get caught up in the vanity and size trap that so many gym bunny's fall into. He should be aiming for strength and health, strong core and well developed support muscles. Having those he will naturally have a great build just not hulk hogan but then again who in their right minds wants to look like a roid head?

Also the guy is only 17, you don't mess around with a young fit healthy mind and body with pointless vanity drugs, don't be crazy.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

My comment is to look at life priorities very carefully. Is it really worth to start eating some unknown/unproven chemicals.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

With all these things, its mainly for looks, to be a good athelete you dont need them. Bulks you up a treat when you are taking them, but you need to keep taking them. Come of them and those pecks will sag almost immediately.

The danger is when this supplement is not doing enough or your son is not as big as his mates, which it sounds like now. At that point he will be out of your nest and the temptation for stronger, vein ingested concoctions will be their. Its in every gym in the world.

Please keep his training natural . Bad habits start long.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobscratchit For This Useful Post:

I wouldn't hey. I too was in his position a long time ago but really wouldn't advise it. I went through many brands and many variations but in the end it's not worth the effort unless you can confidently say that from now on that will be the rest of your life. Rather just eat better and replace lost proteins and vitamins. Sure sure he may not be able to look as good as those other guys but it's better this way.
    After a while I noticed my immune system taking quite a knock where a simple cold of flu would put me on my back for 2 weeks straight and I was also becoming an angry person. My temper was really short and I could go from laugh to fight in under 2 minutes. It's just not worth it and don't be fooled by 'newer technology in science'. It's all still made in a lab, where I doubt any of those lab guys would even be comfortable taking it.
    Looking back it was cool and all being ripped and beach ready any time of the year but I'm much happier with my 'daddy pens' and don't get I'll quite as often. I last had a cold about 6 years ago and even then it lasted for less than 24 hours. The only stumbling block when making the change is that you will lose muscle mass and look fat and flabby but when you get over the 'new look' it all in becomes easier.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nabs For This Useful Post:

Ask your son how he sees things for himself at ages 40 / 50 / 60.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Thank you guys! He is as enthusiastic about building muscles as I used to be about cars (well I still am!) when I was his age. I really want to support him! And it's cool, when I can I go and work out with him. I'll take SAND's comments up with him and then go for the gp visit, if still necessary. He has fortunately not being drawn into a bunch of Hulks, yet. But there is a Hulk or two in his school and he is keen to take up the challenge. The modern day challenge is that YouTube is now gospel! Sigh...

Currently enjoying my new platkar: Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Dont take that Garbage ..Both my sons played 1st team School Sport as well as Provincial and age Group National ..They just got fit the normal way and gymed properly without all the poison

Go speak to professionals. Not the normal crowd at the gym

I used to do powerlifting and used a lot of supplements but in consultation with my physician. Using the right stuff is critical
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Thank you guys! He is as enthusiastic about building muscles as I used to be about cars (well I still am!) when I was his age. I really want to support him! And it's cool, when I can I go and work out with him. I'll take SAND's comments up with him and then go for the gp visit, if still necessary. He has fortunately not being drawn into a bunch of Hulks, yet. But there is a Hulk or two in his school and he is keen to take up the challenge. The modern day challenge is that YouTube is now gospel! Sigh...
    Send him to a good boarding school in the country or smaall town/city where he is away from the big city gyms and influences and wont be allowed to take that stuff ...in the school rules
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/09/15 at 01:08 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

The suppliment industry is just about completely uncontrolled. Often they make totally unsubstantiated claims. Often there are things in their product that they don't show on the label. Often they buy raw product cheaply from dodgy sources. Often they don't test the purity and quality. Often they just blend, package, market and sell. I would not trust them with anything, let alone the health of a 17 year old. Rather push healthy habits - including eating and exercise habits.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

I don't think one issue is discussed above. And that needs some serious research and discussion. I just picked couple articles as a sample:
    https://nextdaysildenafil.com/the-ha...th-or-reality/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5828928/

The problem comes easily to be a big problem. One starts with one supplement and does studies and concludes "safe". But hunger grows and a different one is added.

Blokes who take or have taken supplements may be shy to give the true story...
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast