KRUGER - Open top Safari Vehicles

Default KRUGER - Open top Safari Vehicles

They make one MAD!!
    Rush around Push in swamp everyone....

They should be BANNED from the park in TOTAL.
    Forcing themselves SIDEWAYS across the road BETWEEN cars.

Really - does each driver get a IDIOT badge with the job.

we were stopped near Transport Dam watching a leopard. Two blond women rushed up - driving on the WRONG side of the road, showering everyone with dust and FORCED their vehicles diagonally between the cars already lined up.
    Registrations JBY970MP and JHP246MP - there were 2 other vehicles with them.

They should be BANNED permanently.

'We' pay a lot to stay IN the park and they come in every day and behave like Soweto Taxi's!!
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Default Re: KRUGER - Open top Safari Vehicles

Did you report them to SanParks management?
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    Did you report them to SanParks management?
    They have a permit/registration number in large print on the back of the vehicle - to help you in the process.

It's why we never go near the KNP any more.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

On our recent trip to KNP we experienced exactly the same from them. Agree, they should be banned. All these guys are trying to do is rush their clients to the big 5 sightings, no matter what.
    Bush Lapa Miskruier: B116

That's where they get their tips from. They are extremely irritating if you allow them to push you around, but I have stopped going to southern Kruger not only because of the tour guide rigs, but because of the ignorance and general attitude of the average visitor to Kruger. Once again, the rules are for everybody else, not for them.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    That's where they get their tips from. They are extremely irritating if you allow them to push you around, but I have stopped going to southern Kruger not only because of the tour guide rigs, but because of the ignorance and general attitude of the average visitor to Kruger. Once again, the rules are for everybody else, not for them.

which is a great shame, as it is a magical place...if not for the fools. Kind of like Paris, and Parisian French.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2019/10/03 at 09:11 AM.

Would it not work to make a big scene, scream and shout at the driver in front of his guests, embarrass both him and the guests? That should effect the tips at the end of the day then?
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Would it not work to make a big scene, scream and shout at the driver in front of his guests, embarrass both him and the guests? That should effect the tips at the end of the day then?
    No, no. Please no.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

The jeep jockeys do think they own the park. Northern section the only option these days...

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Kind of like Paris, and Parisian French.
    Yes, a brilliant place spoiled by the French

I enjoy the KNP and other parks like it, not so much for the ragged arsed critters but for the sense of place. After all, once you have seen 100 JAFIs and a mangy lion, you have seen them all

I did have a group of Chinese or Japanese or maybe Koreans, look at me from the back of a viewing vehicle while I was in the Range Rover, and loudly exclaim ''Kinsrey Horgate, Kinsrey Horgate'' while training their cameras on me. No idea what Kinsrey Horgate is, might have had something to do with me pushing in to see a JAFI.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range Building for Touring, not Trails

FJ: One day when I am big

Land Rovers: Done unfortunately

Sometimes when I see one of them approaching, I would stop and point in the direction of nothing. They would slam on brakes and the people on the rig would scuffle for cameras etc. Everybody in our car will have a good laugh and then I drive off.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2016 Audi A3 1.8 TFSI SE S-Tronic 3Dr

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Sometimes when I see one of them approaching, I would stop and point in the direction of nothing. They would slam on brakes and the people on the rig would scuffle for cameras etc. Everybody in our car will have a good laugh and then I drive off.
    Damn - so i'm not the only one with a twisted sense of humor for gullible tourists.

At one stage many years ago, bought a CD from the park with animal sounds. Suffice to say, stop somewhere, point, play it loud enough, then move on... keeps me giggling for hours.
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - mods in thread en route. (Ingwe)

Open Safari Vehicles (OSVs) carry mostly international guests who pay a lot more to access the park than local day visitors. They, like us, bring in much needed revenue to Kruger. They also carry a lot more people per vehicle than the average visitor's vehicle, so they actually reduce the total number of vehicles on the road per-capita.
    There was a perceived epidemic a few years ago relating to bad behavior of OSVs, especially in the South of the park. As a result, a regulating authority was set up by SATSA which monitors and disciplines these operators (Sanparks OSVs included). This is why they each now have a unique identifying number on the back of the vehicle, along with a number where you can report bad behavior.
    The incident you mentioned is certainly against the Sanparks rules (parking diagonally at a sighting). The rules state that vehicles must park on the side of the road on which the sighting is, and one lane must be kept open for passing traffic. Parking diagonally is prohibited. Vehicles travelling on the "wrong side" of the road at sightings is not against the rules, and showering everyone in dust is simply rude and poor form, but technically not against the rules.

I would strongly suggest that you report any and all bad behavior from OSVs to the relevant authorities.

In the case of OSVs behaving badly, you can report it to:
    Paula Bester
    OSV Project Manager
    +27 (0)11 886 9996
    +27 (0)83 381 8124
    [email protected]

Your entry permit also has the relevant information in relation to reporting bad behavior and rule breaking. If you don't report it, nothing will be done.
    Iwan
    2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2DiD SWB (Gen4)
    2001 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 2.8TD D/C 4x4 (sold)

Took the above advice.

emailed them the details

NOT A WORD!!!!
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chaos View Post
    Took the above advice.

emailed them the details

NOT A WORD!!!!
    So how long has it been, and what sort of useful immediate response were you expecting?

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

We’ve had a great experience at Kruger every time we’ve gone.

it is what it is. Which is why we also love Botswana and Namibia and are looking forward to exploring Zambia and places further afield. CKGR was my favorite so far. One week there saw 4 cars. Total.

so go further away where it is harder for the hordes to reach...

We now go no further south than Satara.

When we did go south these "khaki" boys would stop and ask if the sighting was still there up the road. I would say no they have moved off, put many of them off going further.

At Kgalighadi you are not allowed to hand out of a vehicle. It is just a matter of time before there is a messy incident with a lion or a leopard, then all hell will break loose, these are not circus cats they are playing with.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )