Timing on later VW Engines - can you skip a tootch?

Default Timing on later VW Engines - can you skip a tootch?

I replaced the timing belt on the 1.9 TDi a few times without issues. Last night I did the belt on the 1.2 Bluemotion, engine CFWA. when I start it, the glow plug flashes. I drove it around 25km today without feeling any real difference. The I borrowed my BiL's VCDS. I get the P0341 00 [248] - Implausible Signal error. The possible causes are, wiring, sensor stuffed and timing being out. It re-appears immediately if I start the car again.Now on my 2L 16v it used to be a pain to do timing belts as you were almost always a tooth out on the first attempt.I have now re-checked the timing three times. When the crank is locked (with the proper tool), the pin goes through the slots in the cam sprocket and pulley, into the head, this I have verified with pictures. Pictures are however scarce of how the initiator plate and cam sensor should be in relation to each other, but I seriously doubt it will off. For the life of me I cannot comprehend how timing can be out on this engine if the lock and pin lines up, or am I missing something?The other highly unlikely scenario is that the sensor gave up the ghost the day I replaced the belt?
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

Default Re: Timing on later VW Engines - can you skip a tootch?

With the cam and crank locked you needed to loosen the bolts on the cam vernier pulley and diesel pump. Once you have fitted the belt and tension it you lock the bolts on the cam and pump pulleys. This ensure crank, cam and pump in its original timing positions.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/09/15 at 06:53 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Grips, this is exactly what I did. I have the VW manual for the engine, and followed these instructions to a T:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAi667H7M2Y , as well as following the instructions on the turbodiesel forum.If the crank and cam are both locked, even locking into position after driving 25km, how can timing be off?
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

I am by no means a VW expert. Have done the cam belt on Swambo`s 2.0l VW bus. Does the 1.9TDI not have a mechanical diesel pump. Did you also lock the pump. If a mechanical diesel pump your diesel timing could be out if you did not locked the pump.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Hi, no this is on the 1.2, you still lock the pump but the timing is not as critical as on the 1.9 as this is a common rail engine and not a PD.

I did however managed to fix it this morning.

I started from scratch and to make sure removed the cam sprocket from the camshaft. It turns out that even if you insert the pin through the cam sprocket into the head, there is still enough movement that the initiator plate can either be just off or just over the cam sensor. I took a few pics to demonstrate. So I moved it to be different from where it was, and that solved the error. The first pic is the correct setup, the sensor is visible in the third pic, with the initiator plate gap over the sensor. Notice in both pic 1 and 2, the pin is still inserted into the hole.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6410.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	540930
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6407.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	540928   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6408.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	540929  
    Last edited by Dr Jones; 2019/09/15 at 11:42 AM.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr Jones For This Useful Post: