R350 000.00 What would you buy? - Page 9

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I did quite a lot of very bad roads in my dc and its no pajero on the bad stuff but its pretty surefooted for a bakkie.But dont fool yourself.If you gonna drive fast unladen and you hit a bad spot your tail will come out.guaranteed.I have not driven a bakkie that is not tail happy unladen,even the amarok is even though many will say different.Obviously tyre pressure plays a roll but very few guys would stop and deflate when getting to gravel.
    As for the model to buy.I cant see the value of the extra 30k on the athlete.I would rather buy the normal 4x4 auto and use the extra money for a proper alu cab. and seal the tailgate for dust.
    Mr. G, maybe you shouldn't be imitating the Dakar drivers every time you hit a dirt road.. I never get tail swing, so maybe I just drive like a nanny
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

Grips hit the nail on its head! Yes we should have specified which Cruiser we were talking about.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    The Cruiser name coming up in many posts on this thread.

FJ, Prado and 80/100/200 Series are all Cruisers. Then you get the 70 Series in 4.2 diesel, 4.0l v6 and 4.5l v8. You also get the 70 Series Troopy, 76 Station wagon, the 79 DC and SC in different engine options.

To use the Cruiser name can be very misleading so please be more specific in which Cruiser you refer too.

70 Series are not City Cars and should not be part of this discussion. There is now way that any new generation bakkie will last as long as a 70 Series Cruiser being used off road. If you believe this with all due respect you have no clue about real off-road conditions.
    There is a huge difference in traveling bad roads once a year for vacation and working in these conditions. If you want a 70 Series for that once a year trip and you are staying in a city, you are looking at the wrong vehicle. Then a new DC or SUV makes sense.
    The 70 Series were never meant to be a luxury car it is a work horse. There is a reason for the 200 Series Cruiser and Prado they represent Toyota`s luxury off road line.

I own a 76 V8 and a 79 SC v6. Will I swap them for any other 4x4. Never!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We live in a semi rural area so vehicle wont be used daily for a city car but in saying that it will be used more by myself as a daily car than overlander or hunting / plaas bakkie, I get what your saying Grips, in this thread when I refer to a LC its the 79 series DC, thanks for your input, I was waiting for it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    I did quite a lot of very bad roads in my dc and its no pajero on the bad stuff but its pretty surefooted for a bakkie.But dont fool yourself.If you gonna drive fast unladen and you hit a bad spot your tail will come out.guaranteed.I have not driven a bakkie that is not tail happy unladen,even the amarok is even though many will say different.Obviously tyre pressure plays a roll but very few guys would stop and deflate when getting to gravel.
    As for the model to buy.I cant see the value of the extra 30k on the athlete.I would rather buy the normal 4x4 auto and use the extra money for a proper alu cab. and seal the tailgate for dust.
    Agree Mr G - I would rather save up the extra 30k for suspension , bumpers etc

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. I work in the conditions you mention every day of my life, and I get to see (and drive from time to time) a large number of cruisers (mostly 79 double and single cabs) in a number of game reserves across KZN. If I need a vehicle for farm work that I wouldn't feel sorry for, it would be a cruiser. They just feel "harder" than modern day DC's, can take heavier loads and take a bit more abuse.

Having said that, they are also not indestructible, and I know of many instances where soft DC's have shown them up in off road conditions. They are not the perfect off road 4x4 some people make them out to be. I sometimes think many people buy them for the "image" of having a cruiser and being able to tell the manne around the braai their cruiser can go anywhere and never breaks.

OP, if you live in town and this is going to be your daily drive, with a bit of hunting, overlanding etc thrown in every now and then, I would go for a modern day DC, and then narrow down to which one based on your personal preference.

I think your last para above sums it up pretty good, although a LC is very appealing the logical sense is a more modern DC for my needs, I am pretty confident it will boil down to a Triton or Hilux, thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    Agree Mr G - I would rather save up the extra 30k for suspension , bumpers etc
    R30k isn't going to do all of that
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

[/COLOR][/B]
    I think your last para above sums it up pretty good, although a LC is very appealing the logical sense is a more modern DC for my needs, I am pretty confident it will boil down to a Triton or Hilux, thanks for your input.
    Agree. Having two 79 cruisers. Nothing wrong with a 'modern DC'. Not bad for a daily drive and enough space, and capable, for a longer trip etc. Back seats maybe not as comfortable for adults. And you dont need to modify the vehicle too much.

Prado is a nice daily drive, and good for overlanding also. 200 series I think is a bit overkill for a daily drive, but enough space and comfortable for overlanding. But with the extras one tend to install for overlanding compromises the daily drive a bit

I prefer the 79 series for trips etc, a bit cheaper also, and much can go wrong with them in the bush, but then use a 'lighter' vehicle as a daily drive.

FJ and Fortuner (Isuzu, Ford, or Mitsubishi if you are not a Toy fan) both capable vehicles but space become an issue for long trips, but not bad for a daily drive.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/01/21 at 11:47 AM.
    Johan Kriel

LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    +1000

and the service agent + cheap oil

two vehicles, with the exact same engine, and in the same family, with the same breakdown problem, 2 months apart? that's not a mitsubishi problem, that's a maintenance problem.
    En tog, soms koop mens n pajero wat n dud is, en kuk is in elke opsig... , of so iets...
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    En tog, soms koop mens n pajero wat n dud is, en kuk is in elke opsig... , of so iets...
    Korrek, uit die boks. PS gewees. Propshaft issues. Moenie so huilerig wees as iemand n opinie het nie. My opinie sou die selfde gewees het as dit 2 nissan's, toyota's, ford's of enige iets was. Jy't even n fred gestig oor jou opinie .... dis nie so erg nie.
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2020/01/22 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Ya you can basically pick suspension or front bumper...... But definitely not both.....
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    Got quoted R32k for OME for the Izuzu
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Korrek, uit die boks. PS gewees. Propshaft issues. Moenie so huilerig wees as iemand n opinie het nie. My opinie sou die selfde gewees het as dit 2 nissan's, toyota's, ford's of enige iets was. Jy't even n fred gestig oor jou opinie .... dis nie so erg nie.
    Jy is korrek
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    Ya you can basically pick suspension or front bumper...... But definitely not both.....
    30K towards upgrades, I know 30k wont get you all of that.

Good evening forum, hope all is well.

Question: With a budget of R350 000.00 what would you buy:

Requirement as follows:
    1. Daily drive for wife and baba
    2. 4x4 Auto
    3. Weekend gravel travel
    4. About 400 km per week tar road, mix highway and town
    5. Capable for North Nam / Bots and general explore stuff in the Klein Karoo
    6. We dont like to buy and sell quickly
    7. If i dont have to buy another vehicle ever i will be happy
    8. Have a 2010 Triton well kitted wont sell - ek ry hom tot sy wiele afval
    9. Wife had a 2017 Hilux extra cab 2.8 - sold it wasnt impressed
    10. Petrol or Diesel
    11. If the Triton gets to old will want to kit this vehicle for the long travel holidays in Nam etc

Gents and ladies your help and insight is much appreciated.
    If its R350k cash I'd spend about R100k-R150k on a Patrol/Landcruiser and buy Krugerands with the balance.
    Last edited by deanMorris; 2020/01/27 at 11:38 AM.

Definitely have a look at the Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit 2.4 Auto. You will be able to pick one up with very low milage in your price range and it seems to tick all your boxes. I just bought one myself and loving it!
    Last edited by Richard White; 2020/01/28 at 06:33 AM.

It's been mentioned before. Get a Mahindra Scorpio or Pik Up. Whatever your needs. If you need tough and dependable with some creature comforts there isn't much else available. And you will get it new with a decent service plan and warranty. I have a Pik Up and I love it. If one plans to do serious 4x4 tracks the Pik Up is the better option. Has more torque, better wheels and tyres and an Eaton locker at the back.

Cool Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

Hi
    i would say the Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4 they are sold as a rock and must say maintaining it isn’t hard on the wallet. Also something “baba” will inherit.

i got a 2013 and its great. .

Quote Originally Posted by Zacas View Post
    Hi
    i would say the Fortuner 3.0 d4d 4x4 they are sold as a rock and must say maintaining it isn’t hard on the wallet. Also something “baba” will inherit.

i got a 2013 and its great. .
    Just don't leave it parked unattended someware for too long!
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Mr. G, maybe you shouldn't be imitating the Dakar drivers every time you hit a dirt road.. I never get tail swing, so maybe I just drive like a nanny
    Price vs Km whats the thoughts on below Triton Athlete:
    https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...70910331977709

This looks like a left field choice.

low mileage, finance available, two spare wheels, are no taxi will dare take you on

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/810A25859

2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast