R350 000.00 What would you buy? - Page 8





Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Results 141 to 155 of 155
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    54

    Post Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    Gents, best of 2020 to all and thank you for all the replies in this thread, very informative and interesting ideas as to what to purchase.

    Since my last reply I have had a new look on this vehicle purchase conundrum. An option that we are now looking at is using Triton as the daily drive, installing the drawer system again for all the baby gear and groceries that’s needed and then investing in a newer 4x4 DC for our holidays.

    The new vehicle will then also be kitted as needed, but nothing outrageous, most critical items only.

    What the vehicle will be used for now has also changed abit in seeing that this will now be the primary vehicle for our lifestyle, which includes:
    · Pretending to farm
    · Hunting
    · Overlanding – this is the big factor as I want to do a solo trip to Mount Kenia in the near future.
    · Karoo exploring trips with 4x4 trails.
    · Long term vehicle, we don’t sell and buy the newest shapes and models as they get released, I like to keep the vehicle past the 5 year mark – If this is the last vehicle I buy to retire with one day I will be very happy.

    Ok, so what have I been looking at brand and model wise, firstly I have upped the budget to R450k in extreme circumstances:


    1. Land Cruiser 79 Double Cab V6 or V8 if there is one within budget, problem here is you will buy a 2011-2014 model with 150k km on, if the V8 then the kilos will be a lot more – is a Land Cruiser really necessary for my needs or is it purely an itch that I have been having for a while that needs scratching?



    1. Toyota Hilux Revo 2.4 Double Cab Auto or manual – yes admittedly I have had the 2.8 Extra cab manual and sold it that I wasn’t overly impressed with the vehicle at that price point. My concern with this vehicle is will the engine and components be reliable as the Cruisers for holidays in Nam, Bots and the Kenia trip I want to do, specifically can this vehicle get old without mayor reliability issues, we travel alone to remote places so reliability is a big factor here. Price range here is anywhere from R330K to R430K for a much newer vehicle with anywhere from 50K km to 100K km.



    1. Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 4x4 Double Cab Auto 2016-2018, here is the big question, for R390K you can buy a 2018 (Athlete) with 30K km on the clock, I have seen Tritons for R350K with 50K km on the clock, this to me seems as the best choice financially, but Can this new engine and components, specifically the body work handle more remote locations and touring?


    I am measuring and weighing up all of the options against my trusty 2010 Stoffel die Triton, auto gearbox, strong reliable 3.2 engine, I have had complete trust in Stoffel in all our adventures but thinking that now with 216 000km on the clock and the fact that we need a second vehicle it might be time to retire Stoffel to a more leisurely lifestyle.

    The Question does arise as to why don’t buy a family orientated fuel efficient sedan, because I wear short shorts and have a beard – just kidding, My wife and baba is very happy in Stoffel and it is a great car with a lots of great memories.

    Gents, thank you for the opportunity to share my vehicle purchasing conundrum with you all.

    Blessings to all.
    Tricky, you have selected three very nice vehicles all capable of what you are asking from them. Nice conundrum to have

    1) The Land Cruiser is an itch that bites us all. If fuel consumption is important then it's probably lower on the list. As a regular touring vehicle it's probably hard to get anything better, but as a daily in the rat race there I find the safety aspect popping up (that could extent to Africa?). Is a V8 cruiser any easier to work on than the other vehicles you have here? Surely if they have V8 parts they will have hilux parts?

    2) Hilux, having driven both the 2.4 and 2.8 I think that both are great vehicles. We had a 2.4 along for a trip through Bots (a rental from Bushlore). It performed really well and just chugged along nicely. Resale and parts back-up are strong points here. Fuel efficiency was also pretty good for a laden overland vehicle. As to reliability I haven't delved too deep but I'm yet to come across many (if any) catastrophic failure reports. But are there plenty of high mileage examples out there yet? Being a Toyota though I't may be safe to say high mileage is plausible. We don't have the DPF issue the Aussies had. However, the hilux does not really excite me (personal), although the new one in blue looks super.

    3) Triton, purely from a capital outlay and value for money point of view this is where I would go - you also already know and trust the brand. The car comes nicely equipped and the autobox is top notch. The 2.4 motor is also starting to make a name for itself as a reliable engine that produces good power and remains quite frugal on the diesel (don't let cc trick you this is evenly matched to the 2.8 hilux). Any issue you have can be sorted by Arnold Venter at Mitsitech - he really knows these cars and for me puts the whole parts issue to rest. Then, here is a link to consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcMqQnrRDI . I would listen only to the factual stuff as he (john) is very critical and sensationalist in most of his videos. Then there is also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld1bMp5Hh1I&t=395s . While the Triton wins, it is a very close call and they all seem great, but they mention reliability as a plus point for the triton. There is also the new Old Man Emu video where Toby Price tests the new adjustable reservoir shocks in his Triton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmimdf6dRY - these things look awesome and I want some. Looks remain contentious in SA and AUS (Thailand loves it) but you don't have to worry about that from inside the car . If you are worried about paint then use the 20-50k you saved and fit VPS protection.

    These are all good cars and I don't think you can go wrong. Enjoy

    Cheers

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    For that budget you sould be able to find any of the “entry” double cabs with auto and 4x4 in a 2019 model and below 20k km on the clock. So it will come down to personal taste.
    If it were me I would also have the Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS on the list.

    I would not buy a Cruiser with high mileage compared to any of the other options, that would be basically new vehicles. I also like the appeal of the Cruisers and yes they are heavy duty offroaders, but for us normal folk who are not farmers or in mining they are just too much of a compromise in the comfort department.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    4,161

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    I would not buy a Cruiser with high mileage compared to any of the other options.
    Agree , if not looked after they will be expensive the maintain. Any Toyota up to 150 k km if well maintained is a option, then you got another 150 km trouble free. I will/can unfortunate not recommend this with any other make.
    Last edited by JLK; Today at 07:03 AM.
    Johan Kriel

    LCs, Hilux and Echo Chobe

  4. #144
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Louwsburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    What the vehicle will be used for now has also changed abit in seeing that this will now be the primary vehicle for our lifestyle, which includes:
    · Pretending to farm
    · Hunting
    · Overlanding – this is the big factor as I want to do a solo trip to Mount Kenia in the near future.
    · Karoo exploring trips with 4x4 trails.
    · Long term vehicle, we don’t sell and buy the newest shapes and models as they get released, I like to keep the vehicle past the 5 year mark – If this is the last vehicle I buy to retire with one day I will be very happy.


    1. Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 4x4 Double Cab Auto 2016-2018, here is the big question, for R390K you can buy a 2018 (Athlete) with 30K km on the clock, I have seen Tritons for R350K with 50K km on the clock, this to me seems as the best choice financially, but Can this new engine and components, specifically the body work handle more remote locations and touring?


    I am measuring and weighing up all of the options against my trusty 2010 Stoffel die Triton, auto gearbox, strong reliable 3.2 engine, I have had complete trust in Stoffel in all our adventures but thinking that now with 216 000km on the clock and the fact that we need a second vehicle it might be time to retire Stoffel to a more leisurely lifestyle.
    I can only comment on the parts I quoted above. I've driven my current (2017) Triton and the previous shape before that in the reserve where I live for the last 5 years now. The roads here are in terrible condition, so vehicles take a beating. I 4x4 on rocky trails often, and drive through bushes and what have you.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by body work being able to handle remote locations, but from my experience I think they definitely can take whatever is thrown at them, just as well as any other make. And by the way, there are several cruisers here too, and they brake down just like any other vehicle.

    As someone else has mentioned before, it comes down to personal taste. In my opinion, the Triton Athlete with much lower mileage just offers so much more value!
    Last edited by Leeubok; Today at 07:41 AM.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2004 Honda Jazz (wife's platkar)
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    632

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    The family seems to be the common denominator
    +1000

    and the service agent + cheap oil

    two vehicles, with the exact same engine, and in the same family, with the same breakdown problem, 2 months apart? that's not a mitsubishi problem, that's a maintenance problem.
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; Today at 10:14 AM.

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    I can only comment on the parts I quoted above. I've driven my current (2017) Triton and the previous shape before that in the reserve where I live for the last 5 years now. The roads here are in terrible condition, so vehicles take a beating. I 4x4 on rocky trails often, and drive through bushes and what have you.. I'm not quite sure what you mean by body work being able to handle remote locations, but from my experience I think they definitely can take whatever is thrown at them, just as well as any other make. And by the way, there are several cruisers here too, and they brake down just like any other vehicle.

    As someone else has mentioned before, it comes down to personal taste. In my opinion, the Triton Athlete with much lower mileage just offers so much more value!
    Thanks Leeubok - does the body panels not feel thinner or softer to you?

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    For that budget you sould be able to find any of the “entry” double cabs with auto and 4x4 in a 2019 model and below 20k km on the clock. So it will come down to personal taste.
    If it were me I would also have the Ford Ranger 2.2 XLS on the list.

    I would not buy a Cruiser with high mileage compared to any of the other options, that would be basically new vehicles. I also like the appeal of the Cruisers and yes they are heavy duty offroaders, but for us normal folk who are not farmers or in mining they are just too much of a compromise in the comfort department.
    You mention the Ranger, I have a fear of the newer ones, the T6 2.2 seemed like a really good Ford but later models seems to have more issues, I am not shooting Ford down but you hear about issues with brand new vehicles, but going by value for money im sure its a good buy.

    In your last para you mention comfort, that is probably my biggest concern with buying a Cruiser, I am worried the ride will be to much for baba in her car-chair, is this a valid concern or am I looking for reasons not to buy the Cruiser?

  8. #148
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Louwsburg
    Age
    36
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    Thanks Leeubok - does the body panels not feel thinner or softer to you?
    No it doesn't. I think all new DC's are similar, none of them are as "hard" as older models
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2004 Honda Jazz (wife's platkar)
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    And by the way, there are several cruisers here too, and they brake down just like any other vehicle
    This is exactly my point, why would you buy a 150k km Cruiser instead of a year old 15k km Triton, Hilux, Ranger etc with a warranty and service plan? I am sure at 150k km even a Cruiser is going to require maintenance to keep it going. Wear and tear exist on ANY vehicle!

    Although Cruiser’s are tough it’s not as if they are made of armoured steel and everything else is made of paper! (Some would try to convince you that it is actually the case).
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    ​​
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Tricky, you have selected three very nice vehicles all capable of what you are asking from them. Nice conundrum to have

    1) The Land Cruiser is an itch that bites us all. If fuel consumption is important then it's probably lower on the list. As a regular touring vehicle it's probably hard to get anything better, but as a daily in the rat race there I find the safety aspect popping up (that could extent to Africa?). Is a V8 cruiser any easier to work on than the other vehicles you have here? Surely if they have V8 parts they will have hilux parts.
    My concern is the safety aspect also, lack of airbags vs solid construction, in the past I would have said no problem Im ok without the airbags, but having my baby daughter in the car with me has changed that perspective.

    2) Hilux, having driven both the 2.4 and 2.8 I think that both are great vehicles. We had a 2.4 along for a trip through Bots (a rental from Bushlore). It performed really well and just chugged along nicely. Resale and parts back-up are strong points here. Fuel efficiency was also pretty good for a laden overland vehicle. As to reliability I haven't delved too deep but I'm yet to come across many (if any) catastrophic failure reports. But are there plenty of high mileage examples out there yet? Being a Toyota though I't may be safe to say high mileage is plausible. We don't have the DPF issue the Aussies had. However, the hilux does not really excite me (personal), although the new one in blue looks super. Havent seen 200K km plus advertised yet, did you see any loadbin cracks or damage with the vehicle being kitted for ovelanding, roof top tent etc I pressume?

    3) Triton, purely from a capital outlay and value for money point of view this is where I would go - you also already know and trust the brand. The car comes nicely equipped and the autobox is top notch. The 2.4 motor is also starting to make a name for itself as a reliable engine that produces good power and remains quite frugal on the diesel (don't let cc trick you this is evenly matched to the 2.8 hilux). Any issue you have can be sorted by Arnold Venter at Mitsitech - he really knows these cars and for me puts the whole parts issue to rest. Then, here is a link to consider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcMqQnrRDI . I would listen only to the factual stuff as he (john) is very critical and sensationalist in most of his videos. Then there is also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld1bMp5Hh1I&t=395s . While the Triton wins, it is a very close call and they all seem great, but they mention reliability as a plus point for the triton. There is also the new Old Man Emu video where Toby Price tests the new adjustable reservoir shocks in his Triton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmimdf6dRY - these things look awesome and I want some. Looks remain contentious in SA and AUS (Thailand loves it) but you don't have to worry about that from inside the car . If you are worried about paint then use the 20-50k you saved and fit VPS protection.
    Im not really concerned about paintwork, deep scratches I repair fairly quiclky due to rust, while on the subject - any issues of rust that you know off. I wont go for the new shape released late 2019, the shape doesnt really work for me, im thinking it must be a nightmare fitting aftermarket bumpers etc, which will happen, also any form of aftermarket products in SA is a nightmare - bumpers needs to be custom built.

    These are all good cars and I don't think you can go wrong. Enjoy

    Cheers

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    ​​
    1) My concern is the safety aspect also, lack of airbags vs solid construction, in the past I would have said no problem Im ok without the airbags, but having my baby daughter in the car with me has changed that perspective.

    Agreed, I know in Aus they upgraded them to include several airbags around 2016. Not sure what happened here in SA, but a modern DC will most likely be the safer option.

    2) Havent seen 200K km plus advertised yet, did you see any loadbin cracks or damage with the vehicle being kitted for ovelanding, roof top tent etc I pressume?

    No damage that I could see and it had around 80k on it already. It was fully kitted (canopy, dual rooftop tents, fridges, suspension, dual battery etc).

    Im not really concerned about paintwork, deep scratches I repair fairly quiclky due to rust, while on the subject - any issues of rust that you know off. I wont go for the new shape released late 2019, the shape doesnt really work for me, im thinking it must be a nightmare fitting aftermarket bumpers etc, which will happen, also any form of aftermarket products in SA is a nightmare - bumpers needs to be custom built.

    I have not heard of any rust issues no. Yea while the new shape comes with some nice upgrades in the interior, I think the slightly older one will be better value for money at this stage. Rhino 4x4 (I think) just launched a new integrated bumper (the flush ones that don't protrude a mile) for the latest Triton and they have them for the previous one. ARB also makes one. There are already canopies available for both and they are very nice. Check out Arnold Venter's Triton for an idea. Suspension products are readily available if you know who to contact.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    13,096

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    +1000

    and the service agent + cheap oil

    two vehicles, with the exact same engine, and in the same family, with the same breakdown problem, 2 months apart? that's not a mitsubishi problem, that's a maintenance problem.
    Miskien. Maar het nog nooit voorheen met hulle gebeur.

    To be fair die een was heel goedkoop om te doen. Net thrust washers, en die indy wat hom diens het dit baie vroeg opgetel, voor daar skade was. So dit wil voorkom of daar goeie instandhouding gedoen word op die voertuie.

    Maar ja. Mitsibusi kan obviously volgens julle glad nie hou by n gemiddelde huishouding soos hulle (wat in 20 jaar nog geen ander engine verloor het) nie. Wys mens net hoe goed hul vorige Audis en Toyotas en volkswagens was. Regte geharde voertuie blykbaar.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  13. #153
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Langs die rivier, op n berg
    Posts
    13,096

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Ek bly sę, geen voertuig is onfeilbaar. Is kinderagtig om as n voertuig die dag wel breek, dadelik te sę obviously abuse. Die of daardie maak is onmoontlik (soos hier genoem) om te breek.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Glentana
    Age
    41
    Posts
    366

    Default Re: R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    No it doesn't. I think all new DC's are similar, none of them are as "hard" as older models
    What is the Triton’s suspension like on bad corrugation dirt roads, fishtailing, 2H and 4H?

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    706

    Default R350 000.00 What would you buy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raider4x4 View Post
    You mention the Ranger, I have a fear of the newer ones, the T6 2.2 seemed like a really good Ford but later models seems to have more issues, I am not shooting Ford down but you hear about issues with brand new vehicles, but going by value for money im sure its a good buy.

    In your last para you mention comfort, that is probably my biggest concern with buying a Cruiser, I am worried the ride will be to much for baba in her car-chair, is this a valid concern or am I looking for reasons not to buy the Cruiser?
    I don’t know about the new T6 2.0 bi-turbo models but the 2.2 Duratorq is a tried and tested motor that has been around for a long time and used in other vehicles too. The rest of the build quality is as good as the other mainstream models on the market. Remember that in the USA, the Ford pickup has been the best selling vehicle for the last 40 years! So am sure by now they know how to design bakkies!

    As far as the comfort thing goes, do yourself a favour and go test drive a modern automatic double cab like the Triton, Ranger or Hilux, and then testdrive the a Cruiser but do it back to back on the same day. Also if you can take the missus (SWAMBO) with, and then decide if the Cruiser is the one to have.

    I also had aspirations to buy a Cruiser once, at the time I was driving a Navara v9x. I was VERY happy to get back into my Navara at the end of the testdrive.

    Look I get the Cruiser appeal, but unless I buy a farm where it will be used to drive up and down mountains every day on tweespoor padjies, to haul heavy stuff all day long, I will never buy one. I would much rather have a nice double cab auto 4x4 with all the mod cons and be comfortable on 99% of the roads I travel on.

    It is not as if a Cruiser can go places any of the other mentioned options can’t. And for the type of driving we do they will probably last just as long with propper maintenance.

    My dad had a Colt 2.8 4x4 double cab, that by the time he sold it had done 500 000km without any major breakdowns or repairs, and it is not a bakkie that was pampered!
    Last edited by Hooly; Today at 06:50 PM.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •