Yea, maybe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Son driving it now
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

Default Re: Ranger fuel consumption

Seems the 11l/100km is normal for the xl plus
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    I have stats for 4 T6 Rangers I have driven since 2012. Refer to the images. I am not sure why the heading of the one rental shows 140k km. The images will show average fuel consumption over the life of the vehicle as well as the expenditure. Expenses will be for all expenses except financing and insurance related costs. Servicing and other related expenditure has been captured excluding VAT.

It started with the 2.2 4x2 Supercab I had from May 2012 to September 2015. Then the 2.2 4x4 XL Plus from September 2015 to date. The other 2 were 2.2 4x4 Auto Rentals I drove while the Plus were in while Ford tried to sort out some issues. Lucky they were sorted out eventually.

Except for the Supercab the others were all double cabs and all had canopies.

From the milage I travel one will see that I drive a lot. As far as possible I stick to the posted speed limit. I do plenty off tar driving and with the 4x4 XL Plus, I also do my fair share of trails and 4L driving. The 2nd rental did do one trip up and down Ongeluksnek Pass and some rough roads in the Transkei.Attachment 542172Attachment 542173Attachment 542174Attachment 542175

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Yea, maybe
    I average 37km/h to get about 10l/100km that average speed is 86,7km/h which suggests a long constant speed trip. How does the bakkie do in normal day to day traffic? 7 is very impressive and I doubt i would make that on a Struisbaai roundtrip so hats off to you for getting what is an amazing consumption!

Normal day to day in traffic i get around 9.5L/100km

Normal day to day in traffic i get around 9.5L/100km
    That's a very realistic figure but never the less impressive!

Predator.

what fuel are you using? With my old 3.2 I found BP50 to be the best. Sasol 10ppm was the worst.
    I havenít used anything other than BP in my new Biturbo but Iím going to start shopping around to see what brands make a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly340 View Post
    Predator.

what fuel are you using? With my old 3.2 I found BP50 to be the best. Sasol 10ppm was the worst.
    I havenít used anything other than BP in my new Biturbo but Iím going to start shopping around to see what brands make a difference.

Hi, using Engen Dynamic Diesel 50 ppm

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Ok Cool. Just remember if you drive like a cowboy, you will have high fuel consumption, Full Power = High Fuel usage. I try and pull off normal and keep to speed limits. Obviously you get the instances where you pull off hard because the guy in his Dakar next to you thinks he can out drag you to the next robot.

Iíve also got the new Cooper AT3 LT 265/65/18. So a lot heavier than stock and one profile bigger.
    My average combined in just over 5000 km is 10,9 l/100km. My best is 9l/100km after long trip.
    This is on a Biturbo 4X4. Very happy considering my 2013 3.2 XLT Auto 4X4 after 95000km average was 12.9 L/100km.
    Iíll report back on the Engen vs BP.

Ok Cool. Just remember if you drive like a cowboy, you will have high fuel consumption, Full Power = High Fuel usage. I try and pull off normal and keep to speed limits. Obviously you get the instances where you pull off hard because the guy in his Dakar next to you thinks he can out drag you to the next robot.
    I concur! One thing about a smaller engine capacity, it is very sensitive to heavy throttle inputs! Which is a tough thing as these little engines have amazing response to the throttle and really feel like they want to go at all times! It takes restraint to hold back and just stick to the speed limit.

2015 Ranger 2.2 xls manual
    From Fuelio:
    Average 10.31L/100km
    Worst 11.9L/100km
    Best 8.27L/100km
    Fillup to first click, mainly Caltex for Std Bank rewards

Onboard computer shows 9.4L/100km (never been reset)

How are you guys measuring distance.
    My Isuzu 250 dteq 4 x 4 has the next size up tyres from the factory issue. On 600km showing on my speedo I am actually doing 630km according to my GPS due to the larger tyres.
    To get true consumption I belive you must use a GPS for accuracy. I average 10.5 km/l with the larger tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas779 View Post
    My Isuzu 250 dteq 4 x 4 has the next size up tyres from the factory issue. On 600km showing on my speedo I am actually doing 630km according to my GPS due to the larger tyres.
    To get true consumption I belive you must use a GPS for accuracy. I average 10.5 km/l with the larger tyres.
    Getting the distance correct can be an issue if you have upgraded the tyres.
    I made some changes to the tyre size in Forscan, currently out by 5% that the odo over reads to compensate for the 5% under reading for a few months.
    You can adjust it in Forscan, not sure about with the Isuzu, but it is quite a difficult process.
    2006 Ford Ranger 4000 V6 - Sold
    1990 Honda Ballade 160i - Sold
    2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL 4x4 double cab
    Built Ford Tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas779 View Post
    Consumption to me is more an indication of my driving conditions. As you have mentioned , the bigger tyres will have an influence on the distance. I suppose it will only matter when comparing to other vehicles. Therefore I don't worry to much and only use speedo distance.

I use the odometer reading. The extra 5%
    for tire size is just a bonus.

Was specifically looking for figures on 2.2 auto 4x4 and especially short distance town driving. Doesn't help me knowing what a 3.2 manual 2x4 gets
    Fj cruiser & Boskriek 1518

My 3.2 Auto 4x2 gives me 9.7l/100km mainly town driving. Stock tires using 50ppm from Agri which is shell... 40cents per liter cheap than anywhere else to.
    2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto 4x2(White)
    2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Rubicon (White)

Quote Originally Posted by peter stuyvesant View Post
    Was specifically looking for figures on 2.2 auto 4x4 and especially short distance town driving. Doesn't help me knowing what a 3.2 manual 2x4 gets
    Will get this figure for you tomorrow...
    2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT Auto 4x2(White)
    2011 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 Rubicon (White)

A word of caution. I have a 2.2 4x4 that just blew it's engine. It was significantly heavier on fuel with the old motor. I used to use an average of about 11.5l/100km more or less from new until the engine blew at 169000km. With the brand new engine, turbo and injectors I average around 10l/100km. If there is smoke in your rear view mirror when you are accelerating your vehicle may be over fueling. This is most obvious at night with another vehicle's lights shining from behind. Have it checked out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast