Trip to Zimbabwe / Advice for driving back to Johannesburg

Default Trip to Zimbabwe / Advice for driving back to Johannesburg

A big hello from Switzerland.

My name is JP and I will travel with my mom to Zimbabwe in July 2020 (Toyota Hilux Double Cab with Echo 3 trailer). Our itinerary looks like this:

1n Somewhere around Polokwane 1n (any recommendations? / not camping)
    3n Gonarezhou NP / Chipinda Pools
    2n Gonarezhou NP / Chilojo 1
    1n Gonarezhou NP / Chipinda Pools
    1n Bvumba Mountains / Seldomseen Holiday Cottages
    2n Nyanga NP / Mare Camp
    1n Harare / Sunbird Guesthouse
    4n Mana Pools NP / Nyamepi Campsite 27
    1n Kariba
    1n on the Kariba Ferry to Mbilizi
    1n Vic Falls
    2n Hwange NP / Ngweshla Picnic Site
    2n Robins Camp

You can not imaging how exited I am already now. All places, the car and the trailer are booked.

Now I need advice from you for the long way back. We are staying the last night in Hwange at Robins Camp and the plan is to cross the border to Botswana at Pundamatenga Border Post and then drive all the way south, cross the border into South Africa at Stockpoort Border Post and then to Joburg. We will have 1 night en route and need to be in Johannesburg at around 3 - 4 o‘clock in the afternoon (return car and trailer, transfer to the airport, check in latest 18.00 h. Do you think thats possible? Any advice where to stay overnight? Palapye?

I will appreciate all advice from you experienced travellers (also in general, border crossings, the route,...).

Thank you very much in advance.

JP
    Last edited by jpsp61; 2019/09/13 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Trip to Zimbabwe / Advice for driving back to Johannesburg

What time will you be leaving Johannesburg to go north towards Beit Bridge. If you leave early enough you can get through the border and stop over at lion and Elephant hotel at Bubi. Then its not such a long ride to Gonarezhou. Otherwise I would stop somewhere near Louis Trichardt. As you have booked through Zim National Parks you can ask for assistance on the Zim side. Search Zim forum for border assistance detail.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MikevR For This Useful Post:

You should be able to do it but it will be 2 long days.
    At the moment fuel shortages are a big problem but hopefully it will be resolved by then

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Kurumba Lodge in Polokwane is a good option, I would recommend Khama Rhino sanctuary if you travelling via Palapye, about 60km out of town though..
    It's all about the journey..
    Toyota Land Cruiser 100 GX
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 Trooper
    Toyota Land Cruiser 60 3F
    Conqueror Companion

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darraaz For This Useful Post:

If you drive the N1 south from Beit Bridge to Johannesburg after dark or on weekends, you're literally taking your life into your own hands.

So bear that in mind on the way back.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Itís a few years since I did that route, but Iím frequently traveling in Africa. Jelo makes a good point about traveling at night, just donít do it... animals, drunk pedestrians, drunk drivers, vehicles without lights..

Also, in July, the daylight will be short and you donít want self-imposed pressure to get to a flight. Rather rejig the itinerary to get some more travel time

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew D For This Useful Post:

Phew, Panda to Joburg in two days is really a long ride - with two borders.

You should always take into account that something might delay your rush- a tyre puncture e.g.

I would try to get at far as possible. You will not need more than an overnight stop. In Palapye you can try Camp Itumela.

I cannot say if you can get further, maybe closer to the border...Kwa Nokeng Lodge might be an option.

Donīt drive at night and hopefully your mother does drive, too.

Do you have a plan B for the ferry part? I would not really rely on that.

Remember Stockpoort closes at 18h00

If you make it the Stockpoort Lodge at the gate on the SA side can be a good option for you.

Johan

Thank you all for your input so far. The ferry is already confirmed for that date from Kariba to Mbilizi. At least, this will not be a problem. I think I will add another day for the return just to be on the safer side.
    Last edited by jpsp61; 2019/09/18 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsp61 View Post
    Thank you all for your input so far. The ferry is already confirmed for that date from Kariba to Mbilizi. At least, this will not be a problem. I think I will add another day for the return just to be on the safer side.
    Maybe ferry is confirmed but is fuel confirmed? A plan B is not a bad idea.

Try and arrange 1 more vehicle to travel with. Lots of small notes hidden and only a few in your wallet. Leave early in the morning for the long stints.

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6.
    2003 Jeep Cherokee 2.4 - Surprisingly capable

Dear JP,

we have done similar routings during our trips to ZIM/BW during the past 12 months and will fly down and do it again in Nov 2019.

Try to hit BB-border on the way up not too early in the morning hours, masses of bus passengers also in transit. On the way back we only had to depart from Pandamatenga (no border clearance anymore), but left by first light in the morning - the way down took us via Zanzibar border post to Polokwane - all together exhausting 13hrs, slept over and drove to JNB, again nearly 4hrs, so with filling up and return of your rental car you might need approx. 6hrs, counted from Polokwane.

July also means less daylight, keep that in mind.

Pretty exhausting, last time in March we cut our trip one day short and slept close to the airport in JNB, hasslefree doing that schedule/trip on my own, with no 2nd car in company, sometimes I considered myself as very stupid, but for us tourists, well, kind of adventure, stock up on everything you might need, fire extinguisher, 2 warning triangles and, and, and even more.

Speeding through BW is also no option, they charge you for even 1km/h over the limit, sometimes quite funny, but costs a lot of time.....(5 traps from Panda to Francistown, hit them all, paid 3 times, super stupid tourist bonus and a few cool drinks)

In ZIM/BW driving at night, no option.....even during daytime in BW donkeys, cows, dogs.....elephants on the road, nighttime driving means kind of suicide, drunk people and strange behaving drivers...

Consider the fuel situation, maybe sorted out when you arrive - think about loading more jerries. And have fun!!
    Last edited by Ticher; 2019/09/18 at 08:06 PM.