Need some advice

Default Need some advice

Hello guys

I am from Pretoria and drive a 1998 Pajero 3500 v6, yes the gas guzzler...

It's an awesome off road vehicle and has never let me down, no matter the silly situation i try to push it through.

However I am in the situation now where i need to travel a bit more for work and I need to replace it. Id prefer not going for petrol again as the general consensus is that the diesels give on average 3km/l better fuel economy when taking same make/model and comparing the diesel and petrol options with one another.

Right now I am looking at a 2013 Isuzu Kb300 4x4 AT D/Cab. Id prefer to keep the price under R250k.

I'm not somebody who's fussed about make or model, but I need something as reliable as my Pajero. Are their any suggestions that you guys feel i should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchdrop View Post
    Hello guys

It's an awesome off road vehicle and has never let me down, no matter the silly situation i try to push it through.

However I am in the situation now where i need to travel a bit more for work and I need to replace it. Id prefer not going for petrol again as the general consensus is that the diesels give on average 3km/l better fuel economy when taking same make/model and comparing the diesel and petrol options with one another.

Right now I am looking at a 2013 Isuzu Kb300 4x4 AT D/Cab. Id prefer to keep the price under R250k.

I'm not somebody who's fussed about make or model, but I need something as reliable as my Pajero. Are their any suggestions that you guys feel i should consider?

Thanks in advance!
    Welcome to the forum.

Maybe post your question in the Isuzu section, you might get more & better response there.

I'm not that sure about the particulars of that year model's engine, but in general, if you look for a good one with good service history, the Isuzu KB range is very reliable.

However don't make the mistake to only focus on the fuel consumption. There are many factors adding up to total cost of ownership. An old fashioned petrol engine might be heavier on fuel but maintenance could very well be cheaper than a on a turbo diesel. Have you considered a more recent Pajero with the 3.2 turbo diesel? Apparently very reliable vehicles, low cost of maintenance, even on higher mileage vehicles.
    Pajero sport? Triton?

Enjoy the research.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

[QUOTE=Clutchdrop;4227969]Hello guys

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE

Id potentially be interested in the Pajero if you plan to sell it... - pm me if you want to sell. Am in no hurry...

Some info required:

1. Is there any outstanding finance on the Pajero?
    2. Will you have to finance the new vehicle?
    3. If YES to 2 above, how much will this be per month?
    4. How much do you spend on fuel now per month?

If you will have to finance a new vehicle, but you dont owe on the Pajero, then consider the higher fuel cost of the Pajero against the monthly repayment + fuel for the new vehicle. You might end up spending more per month.

If you dont have to finance the new vehicle, consider investing the cash you have as opposed to putting it into a vehicle which you wont really know the condition of.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Default Need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Some info required:

1. Is there any outstanding finance on the Pajero?
    2. Will you have to finance the new vehicle?
    3. If YES to 2 above, how much will this be per month?
    4. How much do you spend on fuel now per month?

If you will have to finance a new vehicle, but you dont owe on the Pajero, then consider the higher fuel cost of the Pajero against the monthly repayment + fuel for the new vehicle. You might end up spending more per month.

If you dont have to finance the new vehicle, consider investing the cash you have as opposed to putting it into a vehicle which you wont really know the condition of.
    Two guys who work for me recently each purchased Ford 2.2 Rangers double cab with about 100 000km on in your price range with a full aftermarket warranty. They report a fuel economy of around 8.0l / 100km

I think the overall build quality is just so much better than the Isuzu as is the fuel consumption.

If you can afford to buy another vehicle and still keep the Pajero for weekends or holidays then that would be first prize in my books
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2019/09/15 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Two guys who work for me recently each purchased Ford 2.2 Rangers double cab with about 100 000km on in your price range with a full aftermarket warranty. They report a fuel economy of around 8.0l / 100km

I think the overall build quality is just so much better than the Isuzu as is the fuel consumption.

If you can afford to buy another vehicle and still keep the Pajero for weekends or holidays then that would be first prize in my books
    MMMM, I think it depends where you are looking... I think the build quality in the ford is better in the interior but elsewhere I think the Isuzu does trump the ford in the engine bay with the old reliable 3liter and the slightly newer 2.5. The Ford has quite a few niggly design faults that are easily fixed if you know what to look for but not everyone looks out for them.

So build quality is a very broad statement.

To the OP, Clutchdrop, the kb300 is an awesome bakkie, capable of achieving high mileages if looked after and serviced accordingly.

The new 2.5liter compared to the fords 2.2 is much of muchness with the ford having a few more kw's. But in fuel consumption they are very similar.
    Last edited by A1ex; 2019/09/15 at 09:19 AM.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to A1ex For This Useful Post:

If you like you Pajero so much, I would recommend considering keeping it, and then getting a little run around. These small cars do unbelievable fuel consumption.

Best of both worlds then.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Graham;4229211]If you like you Pajero so much, I would recommend considering keeping it, and then getting a little run around. These small cars do unbelievable fuel consumption.

Best of both worlds then.[/QUOTE

^ This

The late 90s and early 2000s were the golden age of SUVs and pickups, with the perfect balance of technology and simplicity.

Much as the newer vehicles have more gadgets and safety etc, they give in general, a lot more problems .

You will save yourself a tonne of money by driving a plaatkar instead .

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    The Ford has quite a few niggly design faults that are easily fixed if you know what to look for but not everyone looks out for them.
    What are these design issues and more importantly how can they be fixed?

I think the overall build quality is just so much better than the Isuzu

'01 Isuzu Frontier 280 4x4
    63mm Bosal downpipe/Powerflow freeflow exhaust system
    2"lift
    Rancho S9000 adjustable front shocks
    Camil coil-over rear shocks
    TJM alu front bumper
    Madman EGT/water level monitor
    Extreme Lights Night Raider LED spots
    BFG KO2 AT 235/85/16

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Snoekie1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Clutchdrop View Post
    Hello guys

Thanks in advance!
    great bakkie we have 4in the family from 2004-2018 total kms of all 4 add to 950000kms one has 467k alone on it serviced taken care of they will outlast others yes the isuzu interiors arent the best but like u said u want reliability which what isuzu is made for
    By the way that cant be a auto the earliest auto 4x4 isuzu has in that model was late 2015 onwards where is the vehicle ?
    ISUZU KB300LX DMAX mine / 1.4tdci with software exhaust and intercooler and watermeth injection /dad-kb300 dteq kb5 4x4 /uncle kb300 4x2 dteq kb5 /step dad. Kb6 kb300 4x4 auto all double cabs

Isuzu. Good resale value. Reliable. Low maintence. Very capable offroad. Fuel consumption 10.5 km/l for the 300d-teq
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieterk For This Useful Post:

You can't fault the isuzu for reliability one of the best tried and trusted!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne Madsen For This Useful Post:

Honestly, if coming from a 1998 model car, a 2013 interior will probably be seen as a nice upgrade . Also, as already stated, reliability comes standard with isuzu.

There are just too many examples of high mileage isuzus to ignore. Even with basic self maintenance, we have a 2008 model that has almost 350k km on which we will take anywhere in a heartbeat. Still going strong...

Hi Guys

Thanks so much for the advice.

From the comments it quickly came clear that the best option might actually be to give the old Pajero just a bit of a refresher and keep it. The vehicle was bought cash and I got so use to not having any down payments I kinda forgot what vehicles cost these days. So Estee and Graham comments basically made me decide screw it, Ill keep it and find some KFC mini loaf looking thing for the daily, maybe start using my bike a bit more.

Just as an FYI:
    The pajero has a 4" Old man emu lift kit and I forgot how much comfort that suspension upgrade provides. I discovered this after driving the new Ranger 2.0 bi-turbo and couldn't really feel the 21 years of tech making that big of a difference on the ride quality side. That bi-turbo and 10-speed is great though.