SUV or Double cab with canopy?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SUV or Double cab with canopy?

I use a double cab with a canopy for expeditions because afterwards, you can take the canopy off to go hunting or fishing. So why do some people prefer a vehicle like a Fortuner? Surely you cannot throw a smelly fish in the back of your Fortuner. Or is it that not all 4x4 enthusiasts are anglers or hunters.

Default Re: SUV or Double cab with canopy?

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post
    I use a double cab with a canopy for expeditions because afterwards, you can take the canopy off to go hunting or fishing. So why do some people prefer a vehicle like a Fortuner? Surely you cannot throw a smelly fish in the back of your Fortuner. Or is it that not all 4x4 enthusiasts are anglers or hunters.
    Because many SUVs have more legroom at the back and the drive is not as bumpy as some bakkies.

Some SUVs also have 7 seats where bakkie s can only take 5 people legally.

But my next vehicle will be a 4x4 double cab. You just have the best of all worlds. You have a car, a bakkie and a 4x4 all in one.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Because they don't hunt or fish.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

Try sitting behind the driver when you go on your next expedition and tell us about your experience doing 1000+km's in the back of a double cab...

That is my reason for driving an SUV over a double cab. I have a rather tall family.
    Last edited by Dewald Posthumus; 2019/09/12 at 04:30 PM.

Not all hunters and anglers are 4x4 enthusiasts either so I'm not sure what the question is?
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

I hunt and fish and use a SUV. I have no objection to slinging Bambi on the bonnet of my Range Rover

Garden rubbish is another matter though.

But if you think about it, a DC with a canopy has the same or maybe less ''interior'' cubic capacity that a SUV would have (the larger ones) and both can be racked so the playing field there is level.

The edge for the DC comes in when wanting to carry lengths of pipe, metal or wood or loading a bike or quad and those ''odd'' shaped loads.

Another advantage that the DC would have is the leaf springs in the rear, designed for load whereas many SUVs have coils, prone to sagging.

I am waiting for one of these to come up on the market, so i can have the best of both
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

On my recent shopping trip the number one reason I discounted a DC was because most modern DC's would not fit in my garage.

AND I am not a farmer
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post

But if you think about it, a DC with a canopy has the same or maybe less ''interior'' cubic capacity that a SUV would have (the larger ones) and both can be racked so the playing field there is level.
    Some years ago we went on an extended holiday with my then Land Cruiser 80 SW, a big SUV by all standards. We were packed to the rafters. Along the way the Cruiser broke down and we transferred everything to a Hilux dcab with canopy. It was amazing so see how easy everything was swallowed with plenty of space to spare. There is a big difference in available space. But the family complained like hell about comfort and seating space.
    So its swings and roundabouts.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I had a 4x4 Hilux 4.0 V6 DC for 9 years. Last year I traded it for a FJ. It was quite an adjustment. I used to just dump my excess camping gear in the load bin which included 4 x Jerry cans on long across the border trips. I need to plan things a little better now and fortunately have dual tanks (160L) so at least no more Jerry cans...

The fun factor and amazing ride of the FJ makes up for the lack of "dumping" space. I also take less unnecessary stuff on trips. In fact, all I have in the back of the FJ these days are our camping chairs and my toolbox (ammo box). There are more than enough space for that in the Bush Lapa but I prefer to keep the floor space clear in the van. It just makes the setup process so much easier.

I never removed the canopy on the Hilux and preferred using a trailer for garden rubbish so no change there really... I did not buy the FJ for passenger comfort since the kids are sort of out of the house but on the last 2 trips my 95kg 6 foot something son said the back of the FJ is definitely more comfortable than the Hilux. I fitted a Hannibal roof rack to the FJ for those funny objects that sometime needs to be transported. So do I miss the DC?...nope.... Ek jag en vang ook nie vis nie...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/09/13 at 09:41 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

So why do some people prefer a vehicle like a Fortuner?
    Because I don't like D/C bakkies.

Although sometimes I like the idea of a new d/c Hilux, I still drive my Prado because I prefer not wondering if my bakkie will still be where I parked it.

My 2c..........I had D/C's before, and yes, they really ARE very practical and a "all in one" vehicle, IF you really need some area to either (1) Mess in, like hunting/fishing, (2) Must pack a load in, (3) Have to transport bulky/long stuff, and (4) Have a family of 4 (max).

I'v traded a Prado 150 on my 2,8 Revo, and I really dont miss the DC. Nice thing (for me) about the SUV is when shopping, you dont have to open a canopy, lean into it, and the stuff slides all over the place.

That Prado is a VERY comfy ride, but yes, I guess one cannot really compare a SUV suspension with that of a DC.

So 0 chances are basically ZERO that I'll buy a DC again.

Once again, it all boils down to what works for YOU........what is the best tool for YOUR job.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

I didn't grow up with bakkies and only really became acquainted with extensive bakkie use during the last 15 years. Even for my work purposes an SUV would be better suited as we don't carry much heavy and bulky equipment or luggage. I find retrieving items from the back of a bakkie with a canopy a schlep but that's just splitting hairs. The dust accumulation is nasty. I prefer SUV's over bakkies but when the time comes to move on to a new(er) 4x4 I certainly won't overlook DC's or club cabs. Single cab would be a bit too much of a compromise.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Bakkies se harde vere maak SUV eienaars se koekies seer

TIC

Dis net n grappie

Ek het nie eers n bakkie nie

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

I use my SUV for touring. I have a drawer system and remove the middle row of seats. I made a platform to replace those seats and have acres of space in the vehicle - and we're comfortable. I use a ground tent, so my roof rack has decent space.

AND I put heavy duty coils on the rear. Have never had a sagging problem.

BUT, I only do this 2 to 3 times a year, so the hassle factor's not that high. If I did it more often I'd probably opt for the bakkie and canopy.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    My 2c..........I had D/C's before, and yes, they really ARE very practical and a "all in one" vehicle, IF you really need some area to either (1) Mess in, like hunting/fishing, (2) Must pack a load in, (3) Have to transport bulky/long stuff, and (4) Have a family of 4 (max).

I'v traded a Prado 150 on my 2,8 Revo, and I really dont miss the DC. Nice thing (for me) about the SUV is when shopping, you dont have to open a canopy, lean into it, and the stuff slides all over the place.

That Prado is a VERY comfy ride, but yes, I guess one cannot really compare a SUV suspension with that of a DC.

Once again, it all boils down to what works for YOU........what is the best tool for YOUR job.
    Deksels Petri. I would have thought that you would at least spoil yourself with a V6 Amarok somewhere down the line? Even if only for a few months.

Groetnis

Koos

I come at this from a different perspective as I drive a Defender 110, which is basically a Meccano set on steroids - so one can chop and change body styles to a large extent. I drove my Defender SW for a number of years. During 2018 I changed it to a DC (photos attached). I can therefore compare apples with apples - as it is literally the same vehicle:

Disadvantages:
    1 - Load-bed is ridiculously small (1m x 1m)
    2 - No access from rear seats (gotta stop to get a cold 'un )
    3 - Lost advantage of collapsing rear seats for loading of long, bulky objects.
    4 - Can only seat 5.
    5 - Personal problem: Security - I have a canvas canopy.

Advantages:
    1 - No more dust getting sucked into passenger cabin.
    2 - No more worrying about carpets getting dirty.
    3 - No more irritating rattles from camping gear, tools, pots, SWAMBO's paraphernalia etc. in passenger cabin.
    4 - Personal plus: I think a Defender 110 DC looks bloody AWESOME!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170112_141858.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	307.8 KB 
ID:	540723   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171024_121930.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	540724  
    Last edited by EttiennedK; 2019/09/13 at 12:32 PM.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

24. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post

Ek dog dan ek sien 'n Amarok V6 iewers in jou toekoms!

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Bakkies se harde vere maak SUV eienaars se koekies seer
    Het jy 'n koekie?
    (Want ek sien jy het 'n SUV)

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Het jy 'n koekie?
    (Want ek sien jy het 'n SUV)
    My vrou ry met die SUV

Want die bakkie het uhm...
    Last edited by FWM; 2019/09/13 at 12:42 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast