Moving to Mud-Terrains? What should I be aware of? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Moving to Mud-Terrains? What should I be aware of?

I have had zero issues with Hankook Maximum Traction (RT03) 10 ply. Mud, rocks, sand, rain on tar roads, noise, fuel consumption - absolutely fantastic. Quiet, lasts forever, grips like a king on wet tar roads. But my vehicle weighs 2.5T empty. If your vehicle is light, don't go with these, as they need a heavier vehicle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Alex, have you bought already?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by skipskrop View Post
    I have had zero issues with Hankook Maximum Traction (RT03) 10 ply. Mud, rocks, sand, rain on tar roads, noise, fuel consumption - absolutely fantastic. Quiet, lasts forever, grips like a king on wet tar roads. But my vehicle weighs 2.5T empty. If your vehicle is light, don't go with these, as they need a heavier vehicle.
    Wow, they are not cheap R4248 a tyre. Last I checked for my Sani, the KL71s would have been R3800. But now I see they don't list my size anymore. Only go up to 33's.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

I was also looking at KL71 in 35s

Quote Originally Posted by ChristiaanV View Post
    Hi Alex,

I have recently moved from 245/70/16 Hankook AT's to 235/85/16 General Grabber X3's and I love them. The Road holding has suffered a bit, I think mostly due to the sidewall height. The Fuel economy has gone from about 9.5km/l to 9km/l. I haven't felt much of a difference with regards to power delivery (mostly because there isn't much to begin with). I can honestly say I would do it again if I could make the choice again. BTW. I do about 3500km per month. Since I've fitted the tyres I have done 6000km.

I hope these pieces of Info can help in some way.

Christiaan, you went with quite a narrow tyre 235 wide, was there a reason for this? I'd assume this would give you slightly better consumption then a wider tyre...

@Oppies no not yet... I still have to spend a few bucks to get her lifted, might only be in the new year that I get the muds fitted seeing as I will be doing a few tar road trips come december.

Botswana is happening next year for me hence the want and feeling to be able to go anywhere with the muds.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by renier_c View Post
    I was also looking at KL71 in 35s
    Don't know whats going on, but I see Errols does not list the 35's anymore.. I also looked at them for my Sani. I got prices from Maxxis direct. Kinda a subsidized at cost deal on special import for advertising on the Trepador, but that price was R5800 a tyre.

I'm gonna have to settle for super cheap with my financials, so the power trac or power rovers, at just over 2k each, will have to do. They have had some good write ups anyways, so I'll give them a bash when I can afford it. I don't even have a spare at the moment for my 33's, so I have to buy 5 of them. But I ran the KL's for 86K km with no spare either, but they are definitely in a different class. I could not break those tyres.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Bfreesani, have you looked at the Radar Rengades? They are very well priced for what you get.
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Christiaan, you went with quite a narrow tyre 235 wide, was there a reason for this? I'd assume this would give you slightly better consumption then a wider tyre...

@Oppies no not yet... I still have to spend a few bucks to get her lifted, might only be in the new year that I get the muds fitted seeing as I will be doing a few tar road trips come december.

Botswana is happening next year for me hence the want and feeling to be able to go anywhere with the muds.

I went for those because of a few reasons,

- The original tyre width is 235 so wasn't worried about the tyre being too narrow
    - The 235/85 is more affordable than the 265/75
    - Fuel consumption was a consideration, but not a deal breaker.
    - Fitment issues was a consideration (the 235/85/16's fit like they were designed to be there).

Negatives of the 235/85's are ; sidewall flex.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ChristiaanV For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Christiaan that makes sense.

Lekker vid for any considering the change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaZQpS05QMs
    Last edited by A1ex; 2019/09/17 at 01:40 PM.
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Don't know whats going on, but I see Errols does not list the 35's anymore.. I also looked at them for my Sani. I got prices from Maxxis direct. Kinda a subsidized at cost deal on special import for advertising on the Trepador, but that price was R5800 a tyre.

I'm gonna have to settle for super cheap with my financials, so the power trac or power rovers, at just over 2k each, will have to do. They have had some good write ups anyways, so I'll give them a bash when I can afford it. I don't even have a spare at the moment for my 33's, so I have to buy 5 of them. But I ran the KL's for 86K km with no spare either, but they are definitely in a different class. I could not break those tyres.
    Error has maxtrek in 35 for 16 tyres
    I might go with them. Would love KL71. Had them on the TJ, and they are supper good off road!!!

Quote Originally Posted by renier_c View Post
    Error has maxtrek in 35 for 16 tyres
    I might go with them. Would love KL71. Had them on the TJ, and they are supper good off road!!!
    I run 15" rims. My spares are already not the same as my running wheels in width and no tyres on them at the moment.. I am struggling to find a matching 6 piece set of rims for my rig. Although, I must admit that my budget has not had me looking very hard. Got 8J's on the car, and forum member donated me 2 x 9 or 9.5J rims. They kinda look the same as what I have on the car, but I think the offset could be different. I have not had a chance to actually go measure them yet..

I'll go look at the Radar Renegades. Thanks

Bfreesani, have you looked at the Radar Rengades? They are very well priced for what you get.
    I see a few different versions of sidewall for the Renegade. I would like something at least as aggressive as the KL, with the Trepador being the ultimate. Loved being able to shove that sidewall into an obstacle, and if it did not break your tie-rod, you could climb a wall.

I like a tyre that can flex

[img]https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif[img]/

Thanks guys for all the advice so far...

Rookie now you have me a bit worried, I do more on road than heavy off road stuff but i would like the capability MT brings when I do go offroad, we are planning trips for next year that will require a decent set of tyres and other mods will come.

This is the tyre i had in mind... The Dunlops.

I have owned a set of dunlop mt2's and was very happy with them. incredible grip off road, especially in mud..
    Had a set of 255/85r16's this size and the 235/85r16's got a "narrow pattern" compared to the other sizes.. more aggressive and more noisy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracker For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3