Moving to Mud-Terrains? What should I be aware of? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Moving to Mud-Terrains? What should I be aware of?

Alex I am on my second set of Dunlop MT2 tyres. I bought the 255/85/16's in 2017 for R1900.00 per tyre. I am happy with them. Noise not to bad. No problems or punctures.
    2007 Jeep Wrangler CRD unlimited sport 6 speed manual

1973 Range Rover

2001 ML 320 petrol

2006 Conqueror Supra

Quote Originally Posted by ChristiaanV View Post
    Hi Alex,

I have recently moved from 245/70/16 Hankook AT's to 235/85/16 General Grabber X3's and I love them. The Road holding has suffered a bit, I think mostly due to the sidewall height. The Fuel economy has gone from about 9.5km/l to 9km/l. I haven't felt much of a difference with regards to power delivery (mostly because there isn't much to begin with). I can honestly say I would do it again if I could make the choice again. BTW. I do about 3500km per month. Since I've fitted the tyres I have done 6000km.

I hope these pieces of Info can help in some way.

I am jealous! This is exactly what I am planning to do once my 245/70/16 Goodyears are done. From what I can see, with the change in sidewall height you should have gained ~20-25mm on your ground clearance.

Happy to hear the X3s are working well. Share some pics if you don't mind??

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus Gouws View Post
    Alex, go for it, put the muds on! Two sets of tyres ago I decided to fit the Cooper STT's, mainly for the looks on the landy but they came in very handy (I like to venture solo vehicle from time to time and the muds give you the confidence when help is not around). After 85 000km I replaced them with Cooper ST Maxx on which I've done 99 000km. Just before I replaced the St Maxx (they were no very good anymore at the end for offroad mud work anymore) I got into a sticky situation on a rainy day on muddy / clay road with the tyres not gripping and there and then decided my next set will be muds again. I got 5 of the Maxxis RAZR 265's for a good price and fitted them. Don't think I will fit anything other than muds because it looks the part, and when I need them they must perform. I suppose roadnoise is not a factor ...I have a defender

One life - Live it.
    I originally put my MT's on because they were having a sale on those tyres, and at R1050 fitted and balanced, I did not care what they were. But within a year, they had paid for themselves over and over because of the sites we could continue working on while nobody else good even get there. I have posted pics of a Eskom site that is void of any other contractors, besides us. We had days of rain, and nobody could come close to driving there, but we had no problem. But then I also saw that there are Muds, and then there are MUDS.

Having two sets of wheels could be an option, but, I firstly found it pain to change wheels every second weekend to go play. Then, when I found so many occasions that they were needed, where they would have been useless laying in my garage, I never bothered with the HT or At's after that. I would rather have them, and not need them, than need them, and not have them. Besides, if you remotely think the noise, or handling could be problem, you are not using your 4x4 for the what it was made for.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Thanks for all the good advice, it's nice to hear from some of the owners of these tyres what they are like on living with M/T's on their vehicles.

So I have done a bit of research and with all the good advice I would love to go with the General X3, Coopers, and the BF's but at the moment i just dont have the budget for that expense just yet.

Just out of interest i have a very low gear ratio on my bakkie in 1st and 2nd gear, to the point where i mostly pull away in second gear even up hills and dont have a issue with stalling. Will this change a bit with the bigger tyre diameter? What are the changes like in terms of vehicle power after adding the bigger tyres?

Oh and just to confirm, the M/T size will be 265/70/R16.

I plan do go a bit cheaper to start out and if i really enjoy the MT's will upgrade at a later stage.

These are what i have in mind, the Renagades. Please let me know if you have any experience with these?

Last edited by A1ex; 2019/09/13 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Added Info
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

Refer my story, and the video, you wont be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by martindj View Post
    Refer my story, and the video, you wont be sorry.
    Daai is die renegades, dit lyk baie goed!

Watter groote het jy op die fortuner gesit?
    Last edited by A1ex; 2019/09/13 at 05:20 PM.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

As per my signature, I have two Rocky's

Mommy's has Kumho Road Venture AT51

Daddy's has Kumho Road Venture MT KL71. I am very happy with them. Was on dairy farm after rain with them today, nice fun in the mud.

Did drive with the AT51's in the snow, and aggressive tread really worked. It is rated M+S.

The AT51's are super quiet vs the KL71's which you are aware of whilst driving.

I cannot fault the MT's with regards to roadholding.

Had both sets on the same mountainous 4x4 route and both handled low pressures, 07 bar, extremely well with no sidewall issues. My brother lost a Hankook.

I find the Kumho's seriously under rated and their pricing was relatively aggressive. During past two years AT51's was R1450 each and KL71's were R1750 each
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Also very happy with my Kuhmo MT's. Would recommend them.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

The KL71 got mad with the price. My 35s for the Hardbody now R3800 per tyre.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Mine are somewhat smaller...30ís
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Mine are somewhat smaller...30ís
    Hey, when your wife tells you that they are too small, and that the van looks out of proportion, you gotta listen. The 33's are road tyres, and I need MT's. My wife however does not realise that it's going to add another 25mm lift, lol. She already struggles to pull herself into the car. But I will build steps for the rocksliders,and handles in appropriate places, so that she can get in easier,

Thumbs up Re: Moving to Mud-Terrains? What should I be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Moving to Mud-Terrain tyres...

I currently have Firestone destination, 245/70/R16 on my Isuzu Kb300 2008.

I want to move to 265/70/R16. M/T.

1. How much will my fuel economy be affected by? How bad can it be? I work from home so I don't do high mileage...

2. What brand to go for, and what model tyre would you guys choose? Not Cooper, Maxxis or Bf goodrich they are a bit out of my budget...

3. What other things should i be aware of such as speed, power loss, road handling etc...

The tyre I have in mind at the moment is the Dunlop MT2 (112Q). Any thoughts on these?
    Congratulations you will never look back after going muds.

1) 1L/100km maximum but you won't care.

2) As long as the load rating is high and LT rated as most muds are you will be good. You don't really get bad tyres these days. I'm running GT Radial MT 265/75R16 I'm very happy and they are half the price of BF and maxxis and cooper

3) You won't really notice a power difference unless you go significantly bigger. Wet weather performance is amazing with muds. The big voids don't battle to move the water and you will not hydroplane easily.The additional road noise is not as bad as people say, in fact I like it. Muds are heavier but again not a huge difference on braking and handling I feel that the muds make cruising easier due to flywheel effect. You won't care about potholes at all. You can deflate properly off road and the sidewalls will handle it. You won't get punctures ever. Most important it that Bok feeling of being able to go absolutely anywhere and you will.

💪👊 Enjoy

So true about the "ready to go anywhere". It just gives you that little more confidence to just bash it in anywhere, and the tyres aren't an issue. I got myself an auto locker imported in 2007 through a forum member. We got it wrong, and my car had the wrong diff. I had these expectations of where I would be able to go with the locker. I managed to sell it for more than my KL71's cost me, and the result of the KL surpassed my locker expectations. It's like they gripped even if when the wheel seemed to be off the ground. I never entertained the thoughts of a locker after that.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    So true about the "ready to go anywhere". It just gives you that little more confidence to just bash it in anywhere, and the tyres aren't an issue. I got myself an auto locker imported in 2007 through a forum member. We got it wrong, and my car had the wrong diff. I had these expectations of where I would be able to go with the locker. I managed to sell it for more than my KL71's cost me, and the result of the KL surpassed my locker expectations. It's like they gripped even if when the wheel seemed to be off the ground. I never entertained the thoughts of a locker after that.
    Same here, I have never managed to get stuck after fitting muds.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

I had muds on mine for about 6 months, went back to AT's because the noise on tar roads just became too much... not so much the volume but the drone gets into your brain. So I kept a spare set of rims with the muds to put them on for play-time or trips, but its so much PT that I never used them

It's the PT thats the problem, and that time you need it, and they are laying in your garage 300km away. Now you are stuffed/stuck.

Some pics of one my sites a few years back. When it started raining for a few days straight up in Secunda, some vehicles would just slide off the road where they were parked. Some cars even started sliding in the car park. Site closed down, and all work halted. As a contract worker with strict budget, I could not afford to take that knock. After a convincing test/demonstration to the power that be on the site, we were the only people allowed to work that week. Just there, they paid for themselves. Over the 4 years I had those KL's on, we had 3 other sites where we had similar situations. Your circumstances may be totally different, and in today, I will never be in those types of situations again, but now I am in the position that my car just looks rubbish without them. You just don't drive a 7" lifted 33" to 35" wheeled vehicle, without them being muds. So saving hard for that, because these HT Michelins are also just outright dangerous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0521.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	541020   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0525.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	541021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0529.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	251.0 KB 
ID:	541022  

"You won't get punctures ever."

Oh oh, slowly with the ever word methinks.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

Quote Originally Posted by JH84 View Post
    I am jealous! This is exactly what I am planning to do once my 245/70/16 Goodyears are done. From what I can see, with the change in sidewall height you should have gained ~20-25mm on your ground clearance.

Happy to hear the X3s are working well. Share some pics if you don't mind??
    As I said, I am very happy with the X3's and can definitely recommend. The photo in the tyre shop is with the 245/70/16's still fitted

Quote Originally Posted by ChristiaanV View Post
    As I said, I am very happy with the X3's and can definitely recommend. The photo in the tyre shop is with the 245/70/16's still fitted
    That is such an awesome upgrade! Looks the part as well

Must say those Grabbers look good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast