Bouncy bounce

Thread: Bouncy bounce

Default Bouncy bounce

I tow a wilderness 310 with my fortuner d4d auto and it feels like I am driving on a corrigated road and wheel ballancing has gone to the moon..check vehicle and trailer, wheel ballancing are fine..What could cause this and how do I rectify it
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

Default Re: Bouncy bounce

Are both vehicles fairly low km?
    Or could it be worn suspension or shocks?
    I have never experienced this with our Glider Hunter trailer with RTT. etc. loaded.
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

One of those that you have to go through a process of elimination to narrow it down.

Rotate wheels on vehicle

Try borrow wheels and tyres on trailer

Is it only when towing ?

Try unladen trailer

Try fully laden trailer

Ask some one else to tow trailer.

From there it gets more serious

Bent chassis or frame

Flat spots on tyres

Shocks or spring problems
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Sounds like either tires/rims, bearings or axle.

Follow Strangers advice to eliminate the possibilities.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Check tyre pressures and maybe fit shocks
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

If its single axled the axel may be
    bowed due to overloading in its past. Bearings also may have shortened life.
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/09/12 at 04:43 AM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    75 Series3 88 PUP.//17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

I have the same trailer except it is branded Challenger as it came directly from them and not a Makro etc. The first few times I towed it after taking delivery it was also very bouncy as it was empty and was an uncomfortable towing experience, heavy tent high up does not help such a light trailer.

I have since installed slides for a fridge, drawers and added a battery/solar to the trailer and with all the additional weight lower down it now tows without issues. Currently towing it with a Mazda CX-5 2.5 petrol and it is completely stable up to 120kph although I don't normally tow at this speed unless needing to overtake quickly, you can actually forget you are towing anything it is stable enough.

Maybe remove a spring leaf blade. Springs could be very hard ie need a load to work.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

A few years ago, in my Toyota DC with BFG's.

I rotated and balanced the tyres at twt and twt put the spare on the back, a few days later we went from Durban to midmar dam.

On the way back the bakkie started a slow bounce, I stopped 4 times on the road, to check the tyres. The last three times I ran my hand over each tyre from tar to tar, checking 90% of the tyre by feel and with a torch. suspecting the back tyre I spent more time with that one.

When I arrived home I climbed under the vehicle with a torch and checked all 4 tyres again, going through everything, nothing. All correct pressure. Checked shocks, everything. Nothing.

A few days later I had time to take it back to twt. The bakkie back left was now flat and the bakkie was leaning against the wall, having reversed in, it was in the far corner, I crawled under the bakkie to pump up the tyre and examined the tyre while it was being pumped. Once again running my hand over the complete tread of the tyre, nothing.

I then drove it out the garage.

only then did I see the problem. The steel belt had come apart, it had popped out completely one a small 2" section, straight across the tyre, the tyre had less than 210 kms on it.

BFG where not interested at all, even refusing to look at the tyre.

Those days I did some part-time 4x4 instructing at the off-road continental academy. I explained that this tyre was going on display in the lecture room.

they eventually agreed to replace it if, I let them first take the tyre.

I said No, first you give me a new one and we swop, after lots of backtracking they eventually gave me a new replacement.

two things amazed me, I had stopped 6 or seven times on the exactly the same spot, what are the chancers. and how difficult suppliers can be.

thinking back the only thing I can think of is, possibly the exhaust damaged the spare over the years I had the bakkie for 16 years and never had or had the problem again.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/09/13 at 11:05 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

12. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Looks like I have found the problem--Deflated the back wheels to 2bar and reduced the load on the ball to about 45kg --smooth as a babies bum !!!!!
    Toyota Fortuner D-4D 4x4 AT---My "speed control en navigasie "sisteem is al oor die 50 jaar oud!Ham Call ZS1SSM

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Sanderson For This Useful Post:

Glad you found the problem.

I find on my new general purpose/rhino trailer (14" rims) and on my 4x4 trailer (15" rims) you can drop the tyres fairly low, they then stop bouncing especially on gravel roads, both have shocks.

On my trailer with 13" rims (I need to fit) shocks, I can't go as low with the small tyres.

Most people with bigger trailer tyres pump them far to hard. My 4x4 trailer 15" tyres, 1.5 is hard enough for the load I carry, lower pressures helps the shocks.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/09/19 at 12:38 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Those trailers leaf springs are too short. I had one, was terrible to tow. The Venter Bushbaby and Normal Venter uses longer leaf springs, it tows a lot better.