Do you like the new Defender? - Page 3

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do you like the new Defender?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    Only way this can come remotely near a genuine defender and that is all is when you get it (as a billionaire of course) take the key and give it a good solid scratch down the side. At least then one will not be paranoid about it being scratched by the rose bushes on the side of the driveway leading to the private, valued guest entrance of the flavour of the month 5 star hotel. The defender is dead - long live what it was - it is still out there and always will be.
    What key?
    FJC - Just Cruising

Like. A lot!

If I could afford it I would buy it.

I have to laugh at all the disappointment though. Can only wonder what the expectation was...
    - Commander Hemi
    - Metalian Genie

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    What key?
    Exactly
    1962 88" Series 2a
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110
    1997 2.8i Defender 110
    Toyota Hi Lux D4D

Only dead fish go with the flow

I like the new Defender, especially the Explorer Pack, but I'll stick to my Puma. Definitely an option for Swambo.

2010 Defender 110 Puma HCPU (Bostrok)
    2015 Mercedes Benz GLA (Swambo's Glam)

I just love it
    My favourite is going to be the 90 with the 3.0 petrol and I have just taken delivery of the new Disco V which I am ecstatic about because I specced this car to the "T"
    I put my name on the list today for the 90, delivery for early next year.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    What key?
    Good point. All very electronic. My retired Mom took her merc automatic into Sandton Merc. Wow what a place - ever seen it. Car has only done 90 000 but out of warranty etc. Auto gears doing funny things. Oh, merc says, sorry a major sophistically electronic component mapped specifically for the particular car (how special is that hey) has gone bad. Most unfortunate and at such low mileage - all very strange. That will cost R24 000 for the replacement plus VAT plus a few other bits and pieces plus 10 hrs labour - total R46 000 but again hey what a ride the car is would'nt you say and oh the coffee and eats downstairs is on the house of course - help yourself. Oh almost forgot we need payment upfront for the part but guess what the part has a whole 2 years warranty against packing up - isnt that generous. Could this be the future with the new defender? We shall see said the Zen master.

self deleted
    Last edited by jelo; 2019/09/11 at 10:08 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Not for me.
    Land Rover Defender 2.8i 110 CSW.

I like it

Would like to see a larger capacity diesel in the engine line-up as there seems a bit of a gap between the 3l petrol and the 2 litres (petrol & diesel)

2003 LR Discovery 2 GS V8
    2013 LR Discovery SDV6 SE (SWAMBO)
    2014 BMW X5M

I like it. I think Gen Y and Gen Z will go gaga over it. I still think it will be the ideal D4 replacement. Only time will tell whether it will be suitable as a true workhorse, but for all the bluff JLR talk, that was never the intention. They want to sell more cars. So they go where the market goes. The market is not in mining or extended solo trips through remote areas. It is in Office Johnny's with ISOFIX car seats and a desire to one-up the Joneses.

I'm not doing nearly as many Overland trips nowadays, but on my last trip to Chobe I saw more Discos than Defenders.

I will only comment once I have driven one offroad. Then after the first ones have completed Baboons and Road to Hell.

With my knowledged of 4x4`s and some serious trips in the bag I see a 4x4 that will pickup body damage easily on a trip like Road to Hell.

My prediction is that it will sell like crazy but not to the real offroad enthusiast. On the threads I read it does not appeal to the hardcore offroader or overlander. So yes be ready for some future arguments where its 4x4 capabilities will be praised and defended by guys that will never use it offroad.

I sometimes I think the idea Manny had about listing the 4x4 trails and overlanding trips were not a bad idea. With a glimpse at such a list you get an good view of a posters 4x4 experience. This will help to evaluate a new vehicle like the new Defender`s real abilities.

As for now I see it as a SUV soft roader till it earns its wings. I have always been sceptical about pre launch and first drive views and experiences of motor journalists and manufacturers.

Land Rover SA let us put it up to some real challenge vs the old school donkeys. Call the dates and I will arrange a Waterford dune trip and Road to hell test. We also need to take it fully loaded to Bots. The only way we will know if it is a real Defender
    Last edited by grips; 2019/09/11 at 07:18 AM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I really do like it....

Especially the 3L i6
    2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE AT.
    1999 Discovery II V8 XS AT.
    2016 Campmaster Compact 100 trailer.

----------------

Quote Originally Posted by Zapiture View Post

If the order book opens Iím on the waiting list. Anyone knows how soon you can place orders?
    You can do so already.

A few of my friendsí names are already on the list and mine will follow asap.

I've been sitting on my hands waiting for the final design. I'm a staunch traditionalist when it comes to the "original" Defender, on which I spent many hours cutting up and riveting together again for new additions.

Likewise, I'm all for progress, and have to admit that the old model got left behind when it comes to eg safety. They have done well with the new package - even the looks are fantastic. I might have been softened up in the last 3 years after I bought a D3 V8.

History will repeat itself. When the 300tdi came out, there was doom and gloom about reliability. The TD5 did not start well, but has become super reliable as well. Not to mention the D3 and D4s which would never reach 3rd Bridge, never mind make it back safely. If there are no crank failures, there is a potential that this will become a new icon.

For everyone saying it's overpriced...

Thinking back, how many of you could afford a new Defender in 1996 for example?

Be honest...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

YES! I like it! Very much.

When the time comes for my next, and probably last new 4x4 in the next five years or so, it will come down to a new Defender or a Prado which will hopefully by then have the GD6 engine in. It is going to be an awesome amount of fun to make a decision

No matter which I choose, I will take into the bush in Botswana, Zambia and Namibia without thinking twice.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/11 at 07:54 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

My honest question. How many farmers or commercial operators out there were thinking it would be a rugged work horse and now feel the market has changed and are a little disappointed. I wonder if land rover willl brink out a bakky or keep it as a city car.

for me at the moment its no. It has to prove its self as a real 4x4 and will give it some time

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    For everyone saying it's overpriced...

Thinking back, how many of you could afford a new Defender in 1996 for example?

Be honest...
    I could, and almost bought a new Defender 90 Diesel for R170k.

But I thought that it was very basic and noisy and ended up paying R175k for a used 6 month old D1 V8.

I would certainly like to have one of these new 110's, but am not sure that I can still afford to buy a new Defender.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

i am not a betting man, but i reckon that the discovery is going to take a hiding when these get here, i think it's going to outsell them. i wouldn't mind one, but not the first bunch, after the first face lift, by then all the teething problems would have been sorted.
    2010 d4 v8 hse hers
    2018 D/C CRUISER V8

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast