Grid Tied Solar

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grid Tied Solar

Default Grid Tied Solar

OK, so after reading a lot on the Forum and asking a lot of Questions, I went and got a Grid tied setup installed
    Goodwe 4.6KWH Inverter with 16 x 405W Solar Panels - I wanted to get the Max number of Panels that the inverter could handle - inverter can take 6.5KW input, so all set, 2 x Strings of 8 Panels...
    Got it all installed last week Friday, and I must say I am pleasantly surprised...

My setup is done all on Backup inverter output, except Oven (Gas Hob with electric Oven), Geyser and Outbuildings...
    No batteries yet, so overnight just run off the Grid, batteries to be added later as required...

The setup does pump back into the Grid from what I understand, but the meter does not reverse / credit, so all OK

Below picture was taken at 17:30 on Monday 9 September, and it really tells the story. From the time the sun rises, I use no Grid Electricity, even this late in the afternoon, the Power supplied by the Solar panels was still sufficient to cover all electricity consumption requirements. The only time I use the Grid is in the evenings and overnight, adding batteries will solve that
    The 4.6KWH output is sufficient to cover all demand, the only time it tripped was on Sunday evening - Whole house on backup output, Wife added the Sandwich toaster (1850W) and Kettle (2200W) and 2 x Wall panel heaters (400W each) simultaneously while washing machine was also running, and the total demand was too much, solved by finishing the toasted sandwiches and then boiling the kettle afterwards...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Default Re: Grid Tied Solar

Nice

Looking good.

Do some calcs to compare battery cost to go off grid completely during night time.
    It did not make sense to me. Battery cost too high in what you save when the grid use is very low.
    Some batteries for say 4h backup during an outage does however make sense.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Hi Johan, agreed does not make sense at this stage to go completely off...
    Will add batteries if there is foreseeable loadshedding, or as backup, was thinking of 2 to 3 x 3.5KWH batteries, but will probably start off with one and see how it goes...
    The advantage of the system currently, is obviously the unit costs of electricity, which escalate the more you use, so using fewer units works out much cheaper per unit... and the advantage with prepaid is I can buy the cheap units every month and "bank" them for winter time when you will use more electricity...
    Last edited by Christo Davids; 2019/09/10 at 08:49 AM.
    Christo Davids

We have the same inverter but 12 panels x 400 W panels and 2 batteries. I think the batteries are set to 50% discharge, then we switch to the grid. Usually in the early hours of the morning. Will look at getting another battery as we now throw some of the generated power in the middle of day away apparently. The geyser and oven is not running off the inverter.

It works very, very well.

The kettle is a pest, ours is a 3000 W monster which seemed like a good idea long before we went on to solar. But now we just use the stove top kettle when the washing machine is running. That is really the only time the inverter has overloaded and the kettle is the only culprit. One learns very quickly though.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/10 at 09:02 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Surely you get a controller that will pull grid power WITHOUT tripping when you overload the solar supply?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Jelo from what I understand it is due to the way the items are connected via the inverter
    The demand effectively exceeds the inverter's capacity, I suppose the solution would be to have some items moved from the backup post on inverter to the On-Grid port, but it is not a problem at this stage
    It is not a case of exceeding the solar supply, it is exceeding the inverter's supply, so wiring or splitting the DB differently could resolve that
    Christo Davids

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    ... it is exceeding the inverter's supply, so wiring or splitting the DB differently could resolve that
    yip and the inverter resets itself after 30 seconds and life just goes on.

We are on the system now for more than 2 months and the last time we overloaded it was about a month ago. Even my son knows to rather boil the stove top kettle just in case.

Anyway in our case with the batteries, the inverter looks at the discharge % set up for the batteries before switching to grid. If the batteries are not at the set %, it will not switch.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/09/10 at 10:34 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Hi Christo

I see you installed 405W panels, which ones did you get?
    2014 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4 D/C Auto
    2018 Ford Everest 2.2 XLS 2x4 auto (SWAMBO)

I can't find any table or pricing schedule that indicates that electricity is cheaper at night.

Anybody have this?
    Percivamus

Christo, make sure that you prepayment meter is not charging you for the power you send back. MOST meters aren't bi-directional and simply bill for current flowing. Even if it flows backwards it still bills and runs down. If you have a meter that doesn't bill for reverse flow. Great! keep it! The only meters I've ever seen capable of running in reverse is the old eddy current spinning wheel types.

My Meter does not charge for reverse, however does not reverse either, during the day the meter stands still, no power consumed (via meter), although I am using the solar...
    I got the 405W Canadian Solar Panels
    Christo Davids

There is something very wrong here.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    There is something very wrong here.
    I've waited a WHOLE DAY for you to elucidate.............
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Me as well. I want to know whats wrong. I have been daydreaming about a modular system. First solar panel and inverter but only recently found out most inverters must have a battery connected before it will work.
    This looks like what I need.
    JK 3.8L 2010 Rubicon Manual 2 door

Hi guys, glad i found this thread. We installed around 120 panels on our warehouse, canadian solar, all hardware proper specced. Problem is, we found out the installer set a throttle so that we dont send power back. But on our app it says we only getting 60% from solar grid tie, rest is from exkom, on full sun days. He says he can reduce throttle as we have enough panels and invertors but this seems like a weird see saw scenario. Dont know why we cant utilize the full power of our solar and have some sort of cap, stop, on it when it makes to much power instead of playing this throtling game as we topping up with pre paid every second week Which kind of defeats the point

Me too!

(He is probably entertaining the grandkids as usual!)

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I would think if one add batteries it should be charged from the surplus on the solar, and not from the grid, especially if the meter dont run backwards?
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    Hi guys, glad i found this thread. We installed around 120 panels on our warehouse, canadian solar, all hardware proper specced. Problem is, we found out the installer set a throttle so that we dont send power back. But on our app it says we only getting 60% from solar grid tie, rest is from exkom, on full sun days. He says he can reduce throttle as we have enough panels and invertors but this seems like a weird see saw scenario. Dont know why we cant utilize the full power of our solar and have some sort of cap, stop, on it when it makes to much power instead of playing this throtling game as we topping up with pre paid every second week Which kind of defeats the point

120 panels. I hope you did some research before embarking on a project of that size. I'm not here to punt a specific manufacturer, but have a look at the following link. I would think that there are other manufacturers that have similar systems as well.
    https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start
    Alfa 159 - die dors ene, met 6 silinders
    Fiat 500c - SWAMBO se pink'e met 'n swart pruik, en make-up
    VW T5 4Motion - cause there ain't no Italian 4x4 kombies

Quote Originally Posted by JAPster View Post
    120 panels. I hope you did some research before embarking on a project of that size. I'm not here to punt a specific manufacturer, but have a look at the following link. I would think that there are other manufacturers that have similar systems as well.
    https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:start
    Victron Energy is very user friendly, but I am not sure if you could find an inverter / charger to handle the energy produced by 120 x 400W (50 KW) @ 48V = 1000 Amps.
    You might to install multiple systems running them in parallel.

For batteries consider a stack of Pylontech US 3000 @ 3.5kW each they are fully integrated into the controller and Venus GX interface.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast