Pretoria to Ponta du Oura

Default Pretoria to Ponta du Oura

Hi Guys. We are going on our first trip to Ponta later this month. What would be the best route from Pretoria? Via Komatipoort or via Kosi Bay? Getting a lot of conflicting opinions.

Default Re: Pretoria to Ponta du Oura

I've only used the Kosi Bay route before, done about 4 trips to Ponta Malongane. The going is slow in some of the rural areas but it has been an enjoyable experience every time.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Ek dink Kosi Bay sal beter wees en was al self paar keur daar deur.
    Is maar jou keuse hoe jy wil om ry.

Just returned from Ponta Molangane via Lebombo border post. Going down took us 6 hours from Marloth Park including border crossing and terrible traffic congestion around Maputo, the new suspension bridge and road down south makes for comfortable travelling. Coming back took 4 hours to Marloth Park with the biggest holdup at the Moz side of the border.
    The previous 2 years we traveled via Kosi Bay border which was an easy crossing, but that was before the tar road to Maputo, donít know what the increase in traffic volume is now. The road from Jozini to Kosi Bay was however challenging through all the informal settlements.
    Traveling from Pretoria the distances are pretty much equal, why not be adventurous and do a round trip going in through Kosi Bay and return via Komatipoort or the other way round?
    Safe travels.

Last year we went to Ponta Malongane for a week. Drove via Swaziland, Oshoek-Siteki-Goba. This is a much better route than either the Kosi Bay or Komatipoort route. A bit of gravel from Goba to the new tar road, with much less traffic on route and at the border post.
    81 XT 500 (project)
    Vitara swb 95 (sold)
    xj 96 4.0 ltd (daily drive)
    kj 04 crd (sold)
    lc120 3.0d

I always go, Piet Retief, Pongola, Jozini, Kozi Bay.

The new tar Rd inside Moz has taken most of the fun away, at least you still have some fun going to malongane.
    2019 Amarok V6 TDI 4 Motion
    2018 FJ Cruiser
    2017 Ranger 3.2 TDCi XLT 4x4 D/C AT

self deleted
    Last edited by jelo; 2019/09/11 at 08:53 AM.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Replies will be conflicting because I really can't say that I prefer the one route over the other and I have done both. Time wise they are roughly the same.

Kosi takes you through sections of rural Zululand, the border times are 8-5 only but a more chilled out border crossing than at Resanno Garcia.

RG is highway all the way to the border and then some more. But a much longer trip in Moz although on good roads. Border is open from 06:00 till midnight every day but can be busy and frustrating at times.

I guess at busy times I would take cross at Kosi and off peak times at RG.
    If Force is not the solution, not enough of it was applied....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pietsweis For This Useful Post:

I'd do both, purely because if you haven't been over the new Catembe bridge you really should. And driving through rural Zululand has its own charm.

Here is a thread about this topic posted last year.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post3933024

It all depends on the amount of time you have and want to spend on the road and at border posts. If at all possible, try to avoid crossing both RG and Kosi at peak times, i.e. Friday evenings and Sunday afternoons. (Generally a good rule for border posts everywhere)
    If you unfortunately have to cross then, I would advise then rather go via Swaziland. Use Goba and not Namaacha. The main roads are in a good condition.

The new Catembe bridge in Maputo is impressive, but travelling through the urban areas of Maputo adds a loop to your route that you may or may not have time for.
    Be careful not to travel at night, as there are many animals and people that use the roads at night, and because its easy to get lost when off the main road on the many small roads that cross the landscape.

Stick to the speed limit everywhere, especially when passing through towns, as there sometimes are no speed signs. Note the speed limit through the Elephant reserve. Be careful of traffic police everywhere.
    81 XT 500 (project)
    Vitara swb 95 (sold)
    kj 04 crd (sold)
    lc120 3.0d

Thanks - now there are more options and I am even more confused

Original plan was to go Pretoria to Komati and sleep over so we can do the border post earlyish. We are booked in Ponta from the 19th, so believe we should be ahead of the most long weekend traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Thanks - now there are more options and I am even more confused

Original plan was to go Pretoria to Komati and sleep over so we can do the border post earlyish. We are booked in Ponta from the 19th, so believe we should be ahead of the most long weekend traffic.
    Nothing wrong with that plan. All three routes are good options, maybe choose a different one to return? By the way we stayed over just before the border at a guest farm in Siteki in Swaziland, and for us that was a good choice, will do it again.

We did a day trip from Ponta Malongane to Maputo to see the city, the bridge and visit the fish market, took the Catembe ferry, as the traffic through Boane is slow, was worth it.

Not so sure that I would easily take the Kosi/Manguzi/Jozini/Pongola/Piet Retief route easily again. The road is very busy with mining trucks, taxis overtaking on the wrong side of the road, etc. But we returned on a Sunday afternoon and the border post was very busy, took a long time to get through the holiday traffic, and there was a police roadblock checking all vehicles extensively which also caused delays.
    81 XT 500 (project)
    Vitara swb 95 (sold)
    kj 04 crd (sold)
    lc120 3.0d

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie2 View Post
    Last year we went to Ponta Malongane for a week. Drove via Swaziland, Oshoek-Siteki-Goba. This is a much better route than either the Kosi Bay or Komatipoort route. A bit of gravel from Goba to the new tar road, with much less traffic on route and at the border post.
    Perfect route...

I live at Goba...Small piece of gravel through Goba ...M'shangolene..Port Henriques and on to the new tar road.
    Nice border and 24/7 open...Good stay over just before Goba border in E'Swatini (Swaziland)

Another route, Oshoek, Manzini, Namahaacha, Boane and then on new Tar road..
    From Boane to Ponta do Ouro +/- 2 hours
    1997 Discovery 1 300 TD i ...Old Faithful
    2006 Discovery 3 2.7 TDV 6...not sure yet ?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LRTDV6 For This Useful Post:

Not so sure that I would easily take the Kosi/Manguzi/Jozini/Pongola/Piet Retief route easily again. The road is very busy with mining trucks, taxis overtaking on the wrong side of the road, etc. But we returned on a Sunday afternoon and the border post was very busy, took a long time to get through the holiday traffic, and there was a police roadblock checking all vehicles extensively which also caused delays.

This is a bummer, decided to go via Kosi. Drive from Pretoria to Pongola, sleep the night and do the rest the next day.