Kaokoveld & Damaraland

Red face Kaokoveld & Damaraland

Hi everyone. I need informations about 4x4 trails in Kaokoveld & Damaraland. My husband and me we will travel alone with a land cruiser next May.

a) Is it possibile Crowther's 4wd trail in 2 days?
    - 1 night Elefant song camp near Sesfontain
    - 1 night Theun's Campsite
    - 1 night Palmwag Lodge

b) from Twifelfontein to Rhino Ugab Camp
    How long does it take? Is it possible in one day? Is it better Desolation Valley 4wd trail or Doros Crater trail?

c) from Rhino Ugab Camp to Brandberg White Lady along Ugab River, is it ok ... always in one day?

Thank you so much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to honeysunnybuddy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kaokoveld & Damaraland

I will also follow this post as we are going in November this year

How long does it take? Is it possible in one day? Is it better Desolation Valley 4wd trail or Doros Crater trail?

We did Swakop, Henties, Myl 110, Brandberg Mine, Ugab, Twyfelfontein in a longish day way back in 2013, Ugab Rhino Camp to Twyfelfontein was about 5 hours, including fixing a tyre and photo stops.

A copy of T4A paper map of Namibia will give you all the distances and times you could reasonably expect to achieve on these routes. Copies of Johan Snymanís Kaokoland and Damaraland books will give you much further information on the routes themselves.
    Johan often posts here and is very helpful.
    So far, no problems with your proposals.

Quote Originally Posted by honeysunnybuddy View Post
    Hi everyone. I need informations about 4x4 trails in Kaokoveld & Damaraland. My husband and me we will travel alone with a land cruiser next May.

a) Is it possibile Crowther's 4wd trail in 2 days?
    - 1 night Elefant song camp near Sesfontain
    - 1 night Theun's Campsite
    - 1 night Palmwag Lodge
    Yes

Yes, no problem in one day. We did it at a VERY leisurely pace in 6 hours, I think you could do it in under 3 if you wanted to. This was via Doros Crater area (not divorce pass, see below). I haven't done the Desolation Valley 4wd trail so I can't comment on which is 'best'

c) from Rhino Ugab Camp to Brandberg White Lady along Ugab River, is it ok ... always in one day?
    Not sure you can drive the whole way on the Ugab. See Johan Snyman's book, ask the staff at Ugab Camp

Thank you so much.
    The second report on this thread may be of use to you: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...76#post4214076

I'm working on a report that includes Crowther's trail as well, coming soon. If you haven't already found them, search the forum for trip reports from member RodS, who has written some excellent reports on the region you're traveling to.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thank you so much!!!!you gave me a great help.

Just came out of that area, spent about a week exploring some new spots etc. Swamps etc all driveable at the moment. Just be sure to double check before your trip as that time of the year is still in our rainy season so conditions can change quickly and make quite a few trails basically impossible to pass as well as make the riverbeds tricky.

If you are going alone be sure to have enough drinking water, proper tyres as well as a basic toolkit, a sat phone is also a good idea. Keep your eye's open for animals and stay on the existing tracks.
    "Meerkat"
    Namboyz
    modded 02' 105 series 4.5efi (big wheeled petrol thief)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post: