Deep cycle battery or alternative

Default Deep cycle battery or alternative

Hi guys and girls,
    First off, im am NOT technically inclined so sorry upfront for wrong terminology etc....
    I have a two batteries under the bonnet which are not deep cycle ( landcruiser gxr 200 )
    I would like to have a mobile deepcycle in the back of the car which i can remove when not camping.
    This should also have a brad harris plug so that i can use my solar panel to charge this battery out of the vehicle.

Can i do the following and which products and battery would you suggest:
    1) dc - dc charger form engine to a brad harris in back of vehicle
    2) this brad harris then connects to the brad harris of the deep cycle ( or whatever power source you suggest )
    3) this then has an outlet to which the fridge ( or cell/laptop etc etc ) can connect to charge
    4) i can then take this power source out of the car, connect my solar panel via a brad harris (which it already has ) to the power source to charge this when the vehicle is not moving

Is this possible?
    Does it make sense?
    Any other suggestions?

Many thanks
    Sam

Default Re: Deep cycle battery or alternative

If you want a removable option....NL portable power box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kampsamp View Post
    Hi guys and girls,
    First off, im am NOT technically inclined so sorry upfront for wrong terminology etc....
    I have a two batteries under the bonnet which are not deep cycle ( landcruiser gxr 200 )
    I would like to have a mobile deepcycle in the back of the car which i can remove when not camping.
    This should also have a brad harris plug so that i can use my solar panel to charge this battery out of the vehicle.

Can i do the following and which products and battery would you suggest:
    1) dc - dc charger form engine to a brad harris in back of vehicleThe dc to dc charger should be as close as possible to the 3rd battery in back of vehicle. If you don't have a power source in the back, then run wires from the cranking battery to the back to power it.
    2) this brad harris then connects to the brad harris of the deep cycle ( or whatever power source you suggest ) As pointed out, a box looks better so get one which already have a BH plug, or wire your own plug to the 3rd battery
    3) this then has an outlet to which the fridge ( or cell/laptop etc etc ) can connect to charge If you buy a pre manufactured box, it will have in inlet and outlet BH plug.
    4) i can then take this power source out of the car, connect my solar panel via a brad harris (which it already has ) to the power source to charge this when the vehicle is not moving Yes, this is ideal to have the battery removable. You will need a solar charge controller also.

Is this possible?Yes
    Does it make sense?
    Makes all the sense in the world and there are many people doing it exactly this way.
    Any other suggestions? Some dc to dc chargers have built in solar controllers. But then you cant really remove the battery for solar charging unless you have separate solar charger controller also.

Many thanks
    Sam
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

What about something like the flexopower lithium 444 battery as a replacement for all this?

Or an ATOM at a better price.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Or an ATOM at a better price.
    Where will I find one in sa?

Ps 16:5