Carnet de Passage - Namibia

Default Carnet de Passage - Namibia

Please can I have some urgent assistance from a suitably knowledgeable person.

We are currently travelling around South Africa in our Zimbabwean registered Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and South African registered Bush Lapa Baobab. We intend travelling to Namibia in two weeks time crossing at Sendelingsdrif on the Pont. My previous research indicated that SADC registered vehicles did not require a Carnet de Passage but someone lent me a T4A map book today and it states that only vehicles/trailers registered in the South African Common Customs Area (this excludes Zimbabwe) do not require a Carnet de Passage. I have never heard of a Carnet de Passage in Zimbabwe and looking at AA of South Africa website I may be able to apply for one there but they appear to require a 100% deposit for the vehicle value, probably around ZAR300,000 which I do not have available.

Please can someone advise if there is any way around this or indeed if I am reading things incorrectly.

Thanks
    John
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams

Default Re: Carnet de Passage - Namibia

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Please can I have some urgent assistance from a suitably knowledgeable person.

We are currently travelling around South Africa in our Zimbabwean registered Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and South African registered Bush Lapa Baobab. We intend travelling to Namibia in two weeks time crossing at Sendelingsdrif on the Pont. My previous research indicated that SADC registered vehicles did not require a Carnet de Passage but someone lent me a T4A map book today and it states that only vehicles/trailers registered in the South African Common Customs Area (this excludes Zimbabwe) do not require a Carnet de Passage. I have never heard of a Carnet de Passage in Zimbabwe and looking at AA of South Africa website I may be able to apply for one there but they appear to require a 100% deposit for the vehicle value, probably around ZAR300,000 which I do not have available.

Please can someone advise if there is any way around this or indeed if I am reading things incorrectly.

Thanks
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

From the AA website.
    Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD6 D/Cab 4x4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

You will only need a TIP - Temporary Import Permit - for your Zimbabwian vehicle in Namibia. Purchase this at any border as you enter.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Thanks Caracal and Stan. Appears that T4A are playing it safe and being conservative, however that may lead to unnecessary panic when information is incorrect. I've also tracked down two fellow Zimbabweans that have recently visited Namibia and neither of them knew what a CdP was and certainly weren't asked for one.
    John
    2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D
    Baobab BL1715
    Don't let your dreams remain dreams