Heavy Towing with 90Kw Amarok

Default Heavy Towing with 90Kw Amarok

I am contemplating replacing our RIB with a heavier ski boat. Looking around they seem to easily go north of 1500kg with trailer GVMs of up to 2400kgs on some of the ones I have been looking at.

Now I know that the amarok is rated for 2800kgs and weighs in at just under 2000kgs, so legally I will be fine if I find something that has a trailer GVM of around 2 tons, however, the question is will it manage?

My obvious route will be JHB to Dbn mostly but also reconsidering Mozambique, so any likely route will be quite hilly. I am not usually in a mad rush, so I am okay with gearing down to 4-5th pretty often. Usually I stick to around 100 with the Rib and van reenens is usually a 4th gear affair. Will I be in the truck lane in 2nd with a 2000kg load?

My old Disco1 Tdi was rated for 5000kgs towing, however that would never be a realistic number unless you are taking about using low range exclusively. Is there anyone towing caravans or something in the 1500-2000kg range with the donkey amarok and how do you find the on road performance?

Default Re: Heavy Towing with 90Kw Amarok

Sounds like you looking for a reason to get the V6 Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Sounds like you looking for a reason to get the V6 Amarok
    Speaking of the V6
    So on Friday, I was driving to Mpumalanga Delmas and I was behind this slow moving vehicle then the amarok V6 was behind me.

When there was a Gap to overtake, the driver put foot and the V6 just disappeared and left me very impressed with a smile on my face.

What a bakkie.

I think with the 90kw you're going to struggle especially when you have to travel steep inclines or similar. Family friend used his son's 88kw Ranger to tow a pontoon boat from Bronkhorstspruit to Loskop dam and thaat bakkie was working hard on a trip that wasn't far at all.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I am contemplating replacing our RIB with a heavier ski boat. Looking around they seem to easily go north of 1500kg with trailer GVMs of up to 2400kgs on some of the ones I have been looking at.

Now I know that the amarok is rated for 2800kgs and weighs in at just under 2000kgs, so legally I will be fine if I find something that has a trailer GVM of around 2 tons, however, the question is will it manage?

My obvious route will be JHB to Dbn mostly but also reconsidering Mozambique, so any likely route will be quite hilly. I am not usually in a mad rush, so I am okay with gearing down to 4-5th pretty often. Usually I stick to around 100 with the Rib and van reenens is usually a 4th gear affair. Will I be in the truck lane in 2nd with a 2000kg load?

My old Disco1 Tdi was rated for 5000kgs towing, however that would never be a realistic number unless you are taking about using low range exclusively. Is there anyone towing caravans or something in the 1500-2000kg range with the donkey amarok and how do you find the on road performance?
    Stephen, as much as I enjoy seeing you racking up the km`s in your 90kw, you will be wise to do what I did. Trade the 90 on a 132kw. It just tows better. Ultimately though the V6 is what you want.

Groetnis

Koos

Many thanks. At this stage it is more of an either or, and I am having a retail cooling off period and deciding if I want the extra issues of a heavy boat. Specifically launching and towing, vs the extra space, comfort etc.

The v6 is very nice and I have seen some good deals on them, but the old donkey is unstoppable in Low 1st which is handy on the beach. I am not sure if an auto would be as good on soft sand with a big boat in tow and if I would be able to put on my preferred 265/70R17 boots.

I think it would be a little indulgent to get both a boat and newish Amarok at this stage given the general state of the economy but I think I am going to look at a few boats and see how they will tow. I often see guys pulling two boats hooked to each other, from Dbn up to JHB but without motors, and this usually behind an isuzu 250d, so I am sure the donkey can do it, it just a case of how slow and unpleasant it would be?

Stephen - those 90kW VW engines are (for me) actually VERY nicely "torqued", at speeds up to 120 or so. I love them.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Many thanks. At this stage it is more of an either or, and I am having a retail cooling off period and deciding if I want the extra issues of a heavy boat. Specifically launching and towing, vs the extra space, comfort etc.

The v6 is very nice and I have seen some good deals on them, but the old donkey is unstoppable in Low 1st which is handy on the beach. I am not sure if an auto would be as good on soft sand with a big boat in tow and if I would be able to put on my preferred 265/70R17 boots.

I think it would be a little indulgent to get both a boat and newish Amarok at this stage given the general state of the economy but I think I am going to look at a few boats and see how they will tow. I often see guys pulling two boats hooked to each other, from Dbn up to JHB but without motors, and this usually behind an isuzu 250d, so I am sure the donkey can do it, it just a case of how slow and unpleasant it would be?
    No question the 90kw will do it, just slower. I agree with the manual box. My 132kw is also a manual, and 1st low feels unstoppable. I so whish they would bring the manual V6 over here.

Groetnis

Koos

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on a "new to me" ace glider 530 after a quick test in the dam. Lovely boat, but trailer registered at 3500kgs!!! The guy I am buying from actually builds the boats and said that he put an Ace Glider 630 with 2x150hp plus fill fuel and holiday gear on a weigh bridge and it came in at around 2100kgs, and having driven with his fortuna it actually tows quite well.

I suspect that it will be around 1600kgs all in. I am getting him to downrate the trailer as the rating seems to be based on the axle rather than anything else.

So perhaps next week some time I will be able to advise how well the amarok pulls this little rig. I suspect that it will wheeze up the hills somewhat, but will try and drag it down to Durban and leave it there somewhere.

Torque is sneaky, check the torque / power curve of what you have vs. what you want then you can establish optimum rpm and the the gear that you will most comfortably tow in.

Okay so just picked up the boat on the way back from dbn. It went over the weighbridge @1750kg. So it will be pretty close to 2000kgs by the time there is fuel rods etc on board.

Amarok actually towed it pretty easily around town, but once on the freeway itís going to be 80-100km/hr without a headwind.

Will have to take it down to dbn soon and see how it does on a longer trip. Definitely going to need to fill up before dbn with this lot in tow.

Name:  IMG_3203.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  55.7 KB
    So this is the boat I am towing, and by now I suspect that I am well north of 2 tons, plus a fair bit of rubbish in the bakkie.

Must say that the old girl is doing well. Staying at or below 100km/hr and having to shift down to 4th on the longer uphills, but otherwise pleasantly surprised with how well it is towing.

Name:  IMG_3203.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  55.7 KB
    So this is the boat I am towing, and by now I suspect that I am well north of 2 tons, plus a fair bit of rubbish in the bakkie.

Must say that the old girl is doing well. Staying at or below 100km/hr and having to shift down to 4th on the longer uphills, but otherwise pleasantly surprised with how well it is towing.
    I assume you collapsed the outriggers before hitting the road Stephen?

Groetnis

Koos

Towing that weight at 100km/h is anyway probably a good idea, regardless of how much power you have..

But I also love how your "little Amarok that could" is still going strong. For that reason alone you should probably keep it. Just to see the looks at the beach when they hear you're towing with the 90kw version will make it worth it. Oh, and the boat looks great too.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on a "new to me" ace glider 530 after a quick test in the dam. Lovely boat, but trailer registered at 3500kgs!!! The guy I am buying from actually builds the boats and said that he put an Ace Glider 630 with 2x150hp plus fill fuel and holiday gear on a weigh bridge and it came in at around 2100kgs, and having driven with his fortuna it actually tows quite well.

I suspect that it will be around 1600kgs all in. I am getting him to downrate the trailer as the rating seems to be based on the axle rather than anything else.

So perhaps next week some time I will be able to advise how well the amarok pulls this little rig. I suspect that it will wheeze up the hills somewhat, but will try and drag it down to Durban and leave it there somewhere.

no chance that rig will be close to 1600kg much more just the trailer will be around 450kg buy its self
    the 21 is close to 3 tons
    Last edited by vidalbum; 2019/11/27 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vidalbum View Post
    no chance that rig will be close to 1600kg much more just the trailer will be around 450kg buy its self
    the 21 is close to 3 tons
    i don't think that is a 21.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

The boat is an ace glider 530. Assume that means 5.3m? Apparently they are known for being on the heavy side so 1750 sounds right as there was no fuel and safety gear on board when the cor was done.

I towed it down to dbn for the ski boat club cof and have just dropped it off at natal power boats for a quick service. (Very nice guys.)

I donít usually tow those sort of masses, but I was surprised how well the little donkey managed, especially given the heat today. It is stuffing hot in dbn. No signs of any overheating at all on the way down. I had the cover on the boat which really makes it like towing a brick, and I guess that I was lucky with the wind , as a headwind may have killed the speed, but I had no problems maintaining 100 in 5th gear most of the way but dropping to 80 on the long climbs in 4th.

I must say that for an old banger with almost 290 000km on the clock now, she is doing very well.

I saw another guy with a navara, towing a ace glider 630. He was filling up obviously but that thing is a monster.

I was looking at unimogs as I was in Germany last week, and I think they are really the right tool for the job but thatís much richer than I can afford!