Long Term Caravaning with 2010 Isuzu 3,0 LX 4 x4

Default Long Term Caravaning with 2010 Isuzu 3,0 LX 4 x4

I am a 70 year old who is considering doing some long term (3 to 4 months) with my 3,0 Litre Isuzu D/C 4 x 4 and my Gypsy Regal Caravan. My Isuzu is in excellent condition and has only done 145,000 kms, full service history ( actually serviced every year as only do about 10,000 kms per year) and power and torque recently tested as to manufactures spec. However as a pensioner I cant afford costly repairs or problems on the road. Whilst I am confident that the engine is in good condition as the vehicle is nearing 10 years old is it likely that I might face injector, clutch or other problems. So the question is do I sell my vehicle and buy a newer Isuzu?? With current prices of vehicles, especially double cabs, the only Isuzu I could afford would be the about 2016 2,5L D/C 4 x 2. Would this vehicle pull my caravan as easily as my much older 3,0 Litre. Also if I was to sell my current Isuzu with 5 Goodyear Wrangler tyres with under under 5000kms, with canopy, tonnea cover, leather upholstery no accident damage and in excellent condition what sort of price could I expect. This is my third Isuzu I did try the D4D Toyota but soon went back to Isuzu and would prefer to stay with the brand.

Caravan trips would be from KZN to Capetown, up west cost and back. Slowly with no 4 x 4 trips anticipated.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Long Term Caravaning with 2010 Isuzu 3,0 LX 4 x4

Hi Putfoot,

It should still serve you fine for years to come.

But, things do go wrong on vehicles... Work out a maintenance budget for your current 3.0 from what you would have spend extra on the newer 2.5... Clutch is not that expensive repairs, even if you go through the agents... Injectors can be pricey and the consequential damage of a bad injector... This should more or less give you an idea of the best option...

I've seen quite a few examples on over 250'000km. 300'000km and even 400'000km without issues... Although these mileages also covered over similar time period as yours...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

If you had the budget for the new dmax 300 4x4 i would say go for it, but don't down scale to 4x2 and 250.

Keep it and enjoy another 10 years in it, it is a great vehicle!
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)
    2017 Isuzu kB 250 (sold)
    2006 Isuzu KB300 (sold)
    2002 Isuzu Kb 260 petrol (sold)

My 2011 now has 220k on the clock. We recently did a 5000km trip through Namibia without any hickups.
    Your vehicle should still be good for another 300k minimum. Injectors, clutch and brakes are service items.
    Have your vehicle serviced regularly and enjoy the journey!
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

Getting rid of an Isuzu with 145K km and FSH, is like handing over gold to a stranger. He's the one laughing all the way. At this mileage any big ticket items are stil 14.5 years away if you keep doing 10K km per annum.Tell you what, I wanna be that lucky stranger. If you do decide to sell, can I please have right of first refusal? It's in your best interest to keep it, and by end next year or so, replace all rubber hoses with OEM parts.

Thanks very much for all the advise. I will keep the vehicle and plan our long term caravan trip. I must say that I really love this vehicle and find the newer double cabs just to big. I will check all the spares mentioned. Thanks again

We have traveled extensively through Southern Africa with our OLD Suuz. (1998 KB 280 DT D/C) which I bought second hand on 380 000 Km from a non-member in Pretoria about 10 or 11 years ago.
    He was a fisherman and towed his caravan with it - so onto coastal areas - sand, salt, etc. - You get the picture.
    I bought it at that time for R 70 000.
    Buying such an old vehicle with high km is a huge risk and we paid for it! (AND got a LOT of help from this forum along the way!)

However I do believe that you should not worry too much about your Suuz if you have kept it well maintained and serviced.

My BIL runs only Isuzu in his agricultural related business in the Eastern Cape - he still has 4 or 5 currently and a few more in the past.
    One of my Nephews has run and is still running Isuzu bakies in his business without major problems even on high km.

Most (with good maintenance and regular servicing!!!) have exceeded 500 000 Km without any major problems.
    I think the max. in his case, before opening any engine was at over 500 000 Km.
    Best so far: 800 000 Km still without opening the engine - but, yes, "tick tock" I guess.

So, ja!

Be happy and enjoy your Suuz.
    IF you do encounter big problems and IF the vehicle is otherwise in generally good condition just spend the "bucks" and fix it - MUCH cheaper than buying new or used from others and you save BIG time on insurance premiums.
    Also the older models have less electronics = less to go wrong and leave you stranded somewhere.

Just my contribution.

Peter

PS: The ONLY caveat (in my opinion) is that you cannot always source parts in many parts of Southern Africa for Isuzu and may have to get them transported in to wherever you happen to be at the time.
    Been there and done that.

I have also (very many times) seen brand new upmarket super 4x4 SUV / Bakkies on lowbed trucks being shipped back to a dealership due to some stupid electrical fault in the highly sophisticated software or electronic systems - usually sensor or .... ok, whatever kind of stuff.
    The part costs (e.g. R 15.00), the transport and related add on costs = R ??

OK, I will be quiet now.

(Almost forgot AGAIN!! - "Eish"!)
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    ISUZU KB 280 DT LE NOW POWERED BY THIS AMAZING COMMUNITY
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

I drove my previous 1997 280DT for 20 years mainly for holidays and towing a caravan - never had problems. Gave it to my son with 250 000km on the clock. If I were you I would keep it for another 10 years.

These are my suggested service items to avoid trouble while travelling;

1. Change oil and fuel filters as per Isuzu recommendation

2. Front disc brakes lasted 100 000km before replacement - discs replaced at 200 000km

3. Every 50 000km replace rear brake shoes and slave cylinder rubber seals

4. Every 50 000km have the clutch slave and master cylinders serviced with new rubber seals

5. At 10 years old replace all the belts and rubber hoses as they perish with time. Isuzu have a kit with all the hoses.

6. Every 10years or 100 000km have all the front suspension rubbers replaced - it makes a big difference to the handling of the vehicle

7. Every 100 000km have all your prop shafts balanced, bearings replaced and fit grease CV joints where possible

enjoy another 10years of trouble free motoring
    Last edited by Wild Life; 2019/09/06 at 07:35 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wild Life For This Useful Post:

Keep your Isuzu. The chances are it will carry on giving you fantastic service

Keep it. My previous Isuzu was the 2002 KB300. Almost the same engine as yours. At 24 years it had 426000km on the clock. Still original injectors, alternator, turbo, and many other parts. Clutch was done after 400000km. I replaced the water pump and discs.

Keep the 3liter. 250 is a bit pap if you are used to the 300, especially if you are towing.

Good luck and happy travels.