Hilux V6 performance and fuel - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Hilux V6 performance and fuel

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Stefan, did you increase tyre size? If so you need to compensate. I changed the standard 265/60/18 Duelers for 265/70/17 BFG AT's and my odo under reads by 5%.

One of the biggest fuel savers on my GD-6 is the torque converter lockup, makes a massive difference. Above 80Km/h it is in effect a manual.

Edit: I also tow a Ratel at 120Km/h (GPS) and the last two outings gave me a return of 8.4Km/l on the computer, not taking into account the bigger tyres.
    What is a torque converter lockup?
    Hennie Grobler

1985 FJ45 Land Cruiser
    2008Prado 4Lt V6 (120 series)
    2015 Nissan NV200 Combi
    2007 Conqueor Commander

FJ45 project; http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...52#post2888052

toyota could have done a better job with the gearing on these vehicles to..

I can't really comment as I have a 8cyl 4.0l otherbranded motor in my old Gen2 Pajero, with which I got 15kl/l towing a BIG, heavy ORT from CTN - Lesotho - KZN - PE - CTN, with 6 occupants. Towing was done at 95-105kph when on the highways. The 200km in the mountains was about 18km/l if I recall, so flat stretches often came in around 14km/l.

However, the only valuable thing that I have to add to this thread, is to raise my concern that reading up to page 3, nobody actually raised the safety aspect of towing a heavy rig at high speed. Purely based on safety (lets not harp on the renowned reputation of the hilux stability), I would have thought that someone would point out the fact that from a safety perspective, it isn't advisable to tow heavily loaded at over 100kph. There was a thread last year on the topic of speed limits applying if your total weight was above 3500kg, but I can't recall the actual outcome, but it was enough to trigger my curiosity on towing something heavy at speed.

I suspect that as saffers we are really so oblivious to the dangers that high speed towing poses, myself included up to a year ago! Even if swambo bemoans slow progress (yes, they always do), it shows the wide spread ignorance and obsessed we are with making good progress. If you scoff at this post, I would urge you to do your own investigation, watch a few youtube videos on the topic, and then decide if the hour gained or lost is truly worth it. The fuel economy gained is an added bonus, not to mention fewer trucks to pass, being more relaxed en enjoying some scenery.

youtube clips

Gen 2 2.8TDi, running with a Lexus heart since 290000kms
    - developed a drinking problem since - V8 inception 2014/03/28
    - looking up after some driver rehabilitation and fine tuning (5.5-8.7km/l) 2015/08/14
    - keep the wheels on the ground at all times - 2014/12/04
    - body maintenance completed -
    2015/02/19
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Groblehh View Post
    Hennie, in short (my version not Googled ). The boffins will soon help out if I have it wrong .

An auto box needs a torque converter, otherwise it will always be engaged in gear and you would for instance not be able to stop whilst in Drive.

Whilst driving say in 6th gear the torque converter will unlock when going uphill before selecting 5th, just as example. The torque converter lockup unit in essence forces the lockup for a lot longer period, eliminating slippage, thus enhancing efficiency. Normally a manual vehicle uses less fuel than it's auto counterpart.

My GD-6 is a different vehicle to drive since the lockup kit was installed. Quite a few 200 Land Cruiser guys also had lockup kits installed and says the same.

I have a few more mods done to mine, and since then my saving on the open road, towing or not is in the region of 1.5 to 2km/l saving.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by larry007 View Post
    I can't really comment as I have a 8cyl 4.0l otherbranded motor in my old Gen2 Pajero, with which I got 15kl/l towing a BIG, heavy ORT from CTN - Lesotho - KZN - PE - CTN, with 6 occupants. Towing was done at 95-105kph when on the highways. The 200km in the mountains was about 18km/l if I recall, so flat stretches often came in around 14km/l.

However, the only valuable thing that I have to add to this thread, is to raise my concern that reading up to page 3, nobody actually raised the safety aspect of towing a heavy rig at high speed. Purely based on safety (lets not harp on the renowned reputation of the hilux stability), I would have thought that someone would point out the fact that from a safety perspective, it isn't advisable to tow heavily loaded at over 100kph. There was a thread last year on the topic of speed limits applying if your total weight was above 3500kg, but I can't recall the actual outcome, but it was enough to trigger my curiosity on towing something heavy at speed.

I suspect that as saffers we are really so oblivious to the dangers that high speed towing poses, myself included up to a year ago! Even if swambo bemoans slow progress (yes, they always do), it shows the wide spread ignorance and obsessed we are with making good progress. If you scoff at this post, I would urge you to do your own investigation, watch a few youtube videos on the topic, and then decide if the hour gained or lost is truly worth it. The fuel economy gained is an added bonus, not to mention fewer trucks to pass, being more relaxed en enjoying some scenery.
    Guilty, I cannot for the life of me sit at 100km/h in a 120 zone.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Life’s a journey, enjoy the ride

Quote Originally Posted by Groblehh View Post
    Here is a practical example. (Pics)

Same speed, same gear, but with the torque converter locked and not.

Saves between 200 - 500 rpm, depending on vehicle.

Imaging the saving over a 1000km?

Sorry if OT
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_110154.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	236.6 KB 
ID:	540414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190723_110325.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	540415  
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    When towing my cattle trailer with the 2.4 GD6 I get 5.5km/l. At least with the V6 at that consumption you have reserve power.

Want to know how to decrease the fuel consumption with a 4.0 V6? You lie about it.
    This
    2005 Toyota Prado 4.0 VX - nicknamed 'The Elephant' by my four and seven-year-olds

www.andrewsalomon.com

All I know from my V6 Fortuner is that the criuse control saves on fines at the expense of extra fuel consumption. This is one of the worst cruise controls I have encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by DCTheron View Post
    Hennie, in short (my version not Googled ). The boffins will soon help out if I have it wrong .

An auto box needs a torque converter, otherwise it will always be engaged in gear and you would for instance not be able to stop whilst in Drive.

Whilst driving say in 6th gear the torque converter will unlock when going uphill before selecting 5th, just as example. The torque converter lockup unit in essence forces the lockup for a lot longer period, eliminating slippage, thus enhancing efficiency. Normally a manual vehicle uses less fuel than it's auto counterpart.

My GD-6 is a different vehicle to drive since the lockup kit was installed. Quite a few 200 Land Cruiser guys also had lockup kits installed and says the same.

I have a few more mods done to mine, and since then my saving on the open road, towing or not is in the region of 1.5 to 2km/l saving.
    Dastek is controlling the torque converter lockup via the Unichip. Very effective.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I've got the 4.0 FJ Cruiser and tow a Conqueror Comfort. Not a light trailer.

Towing between 110 and 120 it gives me 15 litres100.

Worst consumption to date was in Botswana with the trailer and a terrible headwind, wouldn't get out of 4th,19 litres per 100
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Many moons ago I moved from a V6 Ford Ranger to a V6 Hilux. I towed with the Hilux for 9 years. I have to agree with Uys, if you want good fuel consumption, lie about it....

I now tow with another V6, the FJ. I'm sure I can get good consumption at 100 - 110 but I'm with Dirk on this one... I find it very difficult to do 100 on a 120 stretch of open road... I can see the logic and have tried before... I blame it on the V6....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

This on a 3.8V6 Pajero with an Echo Chobe in tow and 4 adults on board.

I have a 2010 V6 with the 5 speed auto box. I normally tow my EXCAPE or the Bush trailer. What I have noticed what works for me is the following:- It is my holiday vehicle, drive it as such. ( 152 000 km ). My weekend away or holiday starts when I leave home.- Select your own gear when approaching an incline. Do not wait for the auto box to select it's own gear.- Stay away from cruise control. It is too sensitive to use.- I have de-catted and fitted a snorkel. It might not make a difference on paper, but it does help in some way. Cleaner and unrestricted air must help.- The acceleration must be smooth. Moenie voet in die hoek sit as jy wegtrek nie!- Any speeds over 120 km/h will cost you money. Rather spend it on beer. - Leave the GTI's and 3.2 Rangers alone!! ( Personal note to myself...hahahaha)As for the last couple of trips, from JHB to Hoedspruit with an empty trailer, 10 km/l at 110km/h. We had the whole day to get there.On the way back we were carrying 450kg and towing 1,5 tons. Average consumption with the mountain passes were 8,5 km/l at 90 to 100km/h. Our Moz trip was 5 people and the overloaded bush trailer. Average consumption for 11 days ranging between highway driving when loaded and 4x4 sand driving when empty, was 7,8 km/l. All I did was easy acceleration and following MY golden rule ( leave the GTI's and 3.2 Rangers alone ). When I decide to go to town or use it for work when my other vehicle is in for a service, it is a different story. The best I could get was 5,5km/l in town driving, where I would get 10 km/l with the Diesel on the same roads with the same speeds. Just my 2c and what works for me. I hope it helps.

On my current tank of fuel i decided to lock the auto box in 4th when i drive around town or when crawling on the highway during peak hours.

The auto box loves crawling along in 5th and when you need to accelerate slightly the v6 tries to do this in 5th and it takes a while for the box to gear down and i thought this might waste some valuable litres.

I mostly sit in peak traffic every day, once a week 100km or so highway driving.

Few km to go until my next visit to the fuel shop but i will be getting around 520km on this tank. Until now i was getting max 480km on a tank. Same route every day, same driving style.

Looks like it will save me a few $$
    Last edited by AZV; 2019/11/14 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Superman View Post
    Hi there.

Anyone who can advice or help with some info please.

I have a Hilux V6 auto 4x4 with some extras on that contribute to the weight and heavy fuel bill. AND then im also towing a bush lapa ratel.

Power is enough, but was wondering what one can do to safe a bit of fuel. Was thinking about some sort of chip, but reading through the threads, a chip doesnt really help on a non turbo vehicle? I do have a stainless freeflow system on already.

Currently towing the caravan im running on 21,4 litres per 100km. A bit heavy i recon but again, i am towign normal speeds 120km/h, do have a long range tank (weight), rhinocab canopy (weight) maxxis muds (heard they contribute to heavier fuel) fox suspension and lift (wind resistance).

The bakkie only gets used for camping and towing, not daily drive.
    Planning a trip in December and was wondering what a person can do / fit to the V6 for a bit more power for towing and also safe some fuel if possible?
    Keep in mind the Toyota warranty and service plan that mustnt be affected

All in all im happy with the power and fuel, but one always wants to safe fuel and at the same time pull the caravan with more ease and power. One can never have enough of that Or do I just keep the vehicle as is and make peace with fuel and power?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hi,

Mostly use mine for holiday's and on the weekend.

+ 1 for ... drop from 120 to 110 ... i did notice a difference ... Think i got it down to around 12.5 L / 100 Km on a return trip from Durbs ... no load, just me and swambo ... and some shopping stuff ...

However this was an extremely painful exercise for me to keep at 110 ... never done it after that ...

+ 1 for ... budget for the fuel and enjoy the drive

^^^^
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thats impressive i recon
    On our recent December trip, 3 weeks, 2 adults and 2 kids, towing a bush lapa ratel. Bakkie and ratel fully packed and heavy. Johannesburg, Augrabies, Namaqua NP, Tulbach Secret Falls, Algeria Cederberg, Kagga Kamma, Tankwa NP, Karoo NP and back to Johannesburg. 4 350km. Tar, gravel, sand and rocks. 2H, 4H and 4L used.
    My average was 27.2 L/100KM So it is 3.67 KM per Litre

That said, I was towing, Mud tyres, lift fox suspension, long range tank, rhino canopy and a few other heavy stuff on roofrack.
    Think it was a bit heavy on fuel I recon. LOL but it towed like a dream and we enjoyed the Hilux every minute.
    Stefan

2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4Superman View Post
    Thats impressive i recon
    On our recent December trip, 3 weeks, 2 adults and 2 kids, towing a bush lapa ratel. Bakkie and ratel fully packed and heavy. Johannesburg, Augrabies, Namaqua NP, Tulbach Secret Falls, Algeria Cederberg, Kagga Kamma, Tankwa NP, Karoo NP and back to Johannesburg. 4 350km. Tar, gravel, sand and rocks. 2H, 4H and 4L used.
    My average was 27.2 L/100KM So it is 3.67 KM per Litre

That said, I was towing, Mud tyres, lift fox suspension, long range tank, rhino canopy and a few other heavy stuff on roofrack.
    Think it was a bit heavy on fuel I recon. LOL but it towed like a dream and we enjoyed the Hilux every minute.
    That eye watering stuff. I was getting my skiboat ready next to a fellow Vaalie in december at the Dbn Ski Boat Club. He was towing with a Lexus 570 SUV and he said he was getting around 22 towing back from dbn to jhb doing 120km/hr. He had a pretty big heavy boat as well. I would say north of 2 tons for sure. Perhaps go for the lexus?

Fortuner V6 - Jhb to Upington on Monday avg of 8.9km / L, measured at the pump. On board comper showed 9.6.

Trip back on Tuesday i was gatvol and wanted to get home so consumption was not as great.

Initially wanted to take the Mrs' 2.4 GD6, glad i didn't as I needed the V6 to get past those truck trains a number of times.
    Last edited by AZV; 2020/02/26 at 08:32 AM.

My Hilux 2008 V6 MAN with 94k on the clock. Stock standard except for an extra 80 lt fuel tank. It s only there to tow the Explorer or the boat. Not sure of fuel consumption. I do get about 850 km on a tank of fuel (160 lt)My problem is that it is super useless when under 3000 rpm. You hunting gears al the time but above 3300 rpm nothing will stop you. I will love more power at lower RPM. Will mapping have any effects? My best fuel consumption was 9 km/l solo in the Kruger game park at max 60 km/h

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast