Reverse Camera

Thread: Reverse Camera

Default Reverse Camera

I am now in a position to buy a reverse camera for the caravan. I see on it is not recommended to buy a wireless camera. Also that you can have multiple cameras. I already have a reverse camera in the Ranger. I want to have a camera at the back of caravan . Nearly had a bad accident the week end while towing. Is there a company around Alberton that anybody can recommend please ?
    You have only 1 life MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES !!

Default Re: Reverse Camera

Not around Alberton. But the "guy to go to" is Boetie van Loggrenberg - +27 82 411 1406
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by JohanFP View Post
    I am now in a position to buy a reverse camera for the caravan. I see on it is not recommended to buy a wireless camera. Also that you can have multiple cameras. I already have a reverse camera in the Ranger. I want to have a camera at the back of caravan . Nearly had a bad accident the week end while towing. Is there a company around Alberton that anybody can recommend please ?

I think these are the guys in Alberton who you were looking for...

Check on the camera itself, if it is wide angle. I had a 120 deg camera, which was too wide-angle. Vehicles appeared far away, when they were actually already close.
    I now have a 60 deg camera, which is very similar to what you would expect to see in a mirror.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

Thks Gents, appreciate the tip also about the angle of camera. Can get it for MUCH less from Boetie. Went to see these guys in Alberton and they have 110 stories and declined . Work only on cars

Gents ,

Has anybody fitted a camera from Boetie ? I am about to buy 1 from him, but then I also saw the angle of camera that was recommended ie 60 deg . Boetie sells a 170 deg. Is there anybody who has a camera that is 170 deg and how do you find it ? Would appreciate any feedback before I take the plunge. Thks

I have 170 degree cameras on both vehicle and caravan.

Main purpose for me is to see if there is anything behind me, from a distance. Yes, it does show vehicles or whatever behind you deeper than the rearview mirror of the vehicle, but with the lines / distance indicator (red, yellow, green) on the screen helps to gauge the depth. I got used to it pretty quickly.

Biggest plus for me - I have ample time to move over into the yellow line on the open road to let faster vehicles pass safely. Have had a couple of hair raising experiences where idiots cut in front of me when they overtake in difficult/tight spots forcing to me to slam on brakes to avoid a collision in the past.

The thread title is Reverse Camera, but what it sounds like is that you are looking for is a rear view mirror replacement/addition.

The wide angle 160/170 degree cameras will give you a wide view all around the back of the van (almost to the lights on each corner) but the view will be distorted and everything will look far away.

The 60 camera will give you a clearer view while driving, but you will not be able to the side of the road next to the caravan.

For your purpose I would suggest the narrower angle, but both will work and you get used to judging the distance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Gents,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I appreciate it. Have a great week end