New to diesel, 4x4 and Land Rover

Default New to diesel, 4x4 and Land Rover

Hello to everyone!

I have read quite a lot on this site for the last 4 months and have taken the plunge! Proud owner of a "driven to church and back" Freelander 2. The girl has 130k on the clock with a full service history. She is old, 11 years to be exact, but she is immaculate. Family loves her.

Experienced first hand the safety of having a "higher car". On our way to Nelspruit we were stuck behind a Mozambique person with a trailer filled to the sky. The girlfriend was driving and without warning, a pram fell off of this towering load. Before we knew it, we went over the pram.

I advised her to pull over to check if there was any damage to the underside. Coming from a polo my first thought was "bumper, radiator, fog light, maybe a hole in the sump..."

But what I saw when we stopped to inspect the damage blew my mind. A thick plate like something that would fit in a scene of Madmax. I was so impressed! I know this is standard kit, but I was very impressed! I feel so much safer.

Anyway, we dubbed the car "Bos Padda" as I think she fits in the Bush.

Hope to make friends and learn more about this amazing vehicle!

Thanks to everyone on here for making it easy to get out of my comfort zone. Without this site I would have NEVER bought a Land Rover.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LR2O For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New to diesel, 4x4 and Land Rover

Quote Originally Posted by LR2O View Post
    Hello to everyone!

I have read quite a lot on this site for the last 4 months and have taken the plunge! Proud owner of a "driven to church and back" Freelander 2. The girl has 130k on the clock with a full service history. She is old, 11 years to be exact, but she is immaculate. Family loves her.

Experienced first hand the safety of having a "higher car". On our way to Nelspruit we were stuck behind a Mozambique person with a trailer filled to the sky. The girlfriend was driving and without warning, a pram fell off of this towering load. Before we knew it, we went over the pram.

I advised her to pull over to check if there was any damage to the underside. Coming from a polo my first thought was "bumper, radiator, fog light, maybe a hole in the sump..."

But what I saw when we stopped to inspect the damage blew my mind. A thick plate like something that would fit in a scene of Madmax. I was so impressed! I know this is standard kit, but I was very impressed! I feel so much safer.

Thanks to everyone on here for making it easy to get out of my comfort zone. Without this site I would have NEVER bought a Land Rover.
    Welcome.
    Good looking car. May you have many miles of happy motoring.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

2014 Mazda BT-50 - Recently bought. March 2018
    2013 Nissan NP300 - Daily workhorse
    1993 Ford Courier 2.2... Odometer stopped working just over 530'000 km's. Sold 2013
    69' Series 2 Landi - Old, slow, thirsty. Go anywhere. Stolen in 2010

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexP For This Useful Post:

Hello to everyone!

There are many 4x4 community members in Gauteng area that go and do trails. Maybe hook up with them and they can teach you a thing or two about 4x4ing safely so you can tackle that off road trip one day. Welcome.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

They are great cars. I'm also amazed at the safety of the car. Below are pictures of a Corolla, which was pushed by a truck into the back of Swambo's FL2 while stationary, waiting our turn to enter a traffic circle.

On the FL2, the backing plate of the bumper was bent, and that was replaced. The bumper was polished and re-sprayed.

FL2.jpgFL3.jpgFL1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    They are great cars. I'm also amazed at the safety of the car. Below are pictures of a Corolla, which was pushed by a truck into the back of Swambo's FL2 while stationary, waiting our turn to enter a traffic circle.

On the FL2, the backing plate of the bumper was bent, and that was replaced. The bumper was polished and re-sprayed.

FL2.jpgFL3.jpgFL1.jpg

Bliksem . And the PDC? Surely they got damaged? But in comparison, I know which car I would have wanted to be in.

Bliksem . And the PDC? Surely they got damaged? But in comparison, I know which car I would have wanted to be in.
    Nope. The only other damage was the exhaust tail pipe, which has a slight dent in it.

Welcome LR2 nice looking wheels
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    There are many 4x4 community members in Gauteng area that go and do trails. Maybe hook up with them and they can teach you a thing or two about 4x4ing safely so you can tackle that off road trip one day. Welcome.
    I too just got me a KJ, 4x4, and am keen to understand the capabilities of this machine.

Welcome to the forum buddy!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hloni For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Welcome LR2 nice looking wheels
    Not so nice if you have to pay for new tyres Got a quote just for curiosity. Oh my F*&%! Expensive!

I think that will be the first "mod", smaller mags with tyres. Thinking something like 16 inch or so with nice off road tyres. Will definitely start filtering this forum to see what the guys have done.