Where to buy Flannel shirts

Default Where to buy Flannel shirts

I know this is a weird question, and I am going to get grilled for this, but where in Pta/Jhb can one get good quality flannel shirts?

Its not not a common thing in SA, but it is the most comfortable type of shirt for wearing in outdoor activities. I had a few I got from the states, but they have all reached the end of their life. I have been keeping an eye out at the outdoor shops like cape union and so on, but havenít seen any.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Where to buy Flannel shirts

I have seen some at the Pick & Pay clothing store.

Don't know what quality, especially compared to what you get in the US (I have a couple), but worth a try.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

I bought mine from Senqu clothing some time back.
    Excellent clothing.
    Good luck.

Are you referring to Flannel shirts (wool) or Plaid shirts (checked cotton)?
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Flannel specifically, going to be spending some time in Lesotho highlands, and the Nyika platue over the next few weeks, and itís chilly there, even in summer.

Cape Union Mart had some on their sale, which is still on, not sure if they were genuine flannel or just lookalikes. For the Nyika, good gear is essential, especially if you're hiking - the weather is very unpredictable, and can change in minutes. Layers of good technical clothing are good, with a good rain jacket/windbreaker essential. I've been through some mega-storms up there, and five minutes later the sun is shining again.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Cape Union Mart had some on their sale, which is still on, not sure if they were genuine flannel or just lookalikes. For the Nyika, good gear is essential, especially if you're hiking - the weather is very unpredictable, and can change in minutes. Layers of good technical clothing are good, with a good rain jacket/windbreaker essential. I've been through some mega-storms up there, and five minutes later the sun is shining again.
    Thanks, will have a look at cape union again, but saw nothing in Pretoria last week.

I know all about the weather in Nyika, learned my lesson the hard way a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by RPiet View Post
    Flannel specifically, going to be spending some time in Lesotho highlands, and the Nyika platue over the next few weeks, and itís chilly there, even in summer.
    If ANYONE laughs...I'll hunt you down

Few years ago on my way to a hunting trip in the Karoo I realised in Laingsburg that I don't have a warm enough jacket for the cold so I popped into their PEP stores and bought 2 flannel shirts.

Well I still have them and they do the job of keeping me warm!

Stirling Clothing and Amod & Sons might have
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Chev Aveo and Atos and Polo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duncang For This Useful Post:

The only ones I am aware of will cost and will have to be ordered on line from Fjallraven or Swanndri.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    The only ones I am aware of will cost and will have to be ordered on line from Fjallraven or Swanndri.
    Mim sure there has to be something available local? Otherwise gonna have to wait till I go to Overseas again, but thatís only in a couple of months (at least they will be on summer sale in Europe then)

Flannel proper was last seen going out the door with Wicks bubble gum. Best bet is as Estee suggested, at least you will know the quality is proper and guaranteed. I bought some Barbour flannel shirts about 15 years ago in Oz along with a couple of RM William's moleskin strides .. still going strong, best money I've spent on clothing.
    VW Amarok V6 4Motion Highline Plus
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oreo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Flannel proper was last seen going out the door with Wicks bubble gum. Best bet is as Estee suggested, at least you will know the quality is proper and guaranteed. I bought some Barbour flannel shirts about 15 years ago in Oz along with a couple of RM William's moleskin strides .. still going strong, best money I've spent on clothing.

The biggest pitty is that it seems quality anything in this country went out with Wicks bubblegum, and for anything of decent quality we need to look elsewhere, or pay an arm and a leg.

My last lot of flannel shirts from the states also did about 10 years hard service. Nothing I buy locally lasts a game capture season......

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post: