Khaudum NP recommended route from South to North.

Default Khaudum NP recommended route from South to North.

Dear friends, we are 6 adults traveling in 3 Hilux 4x4 vehicles. We will be doing the Khaudum NP in October 2019. We need advise on the best route to follow from South to North. We will be camping at Sekereti for the first night and Khaudum camp for the second night. Any advise and recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by Pete; 2019/09/02 at 04:43 AM.

Default Re: Khaudum NP recommended route from South to North.

In the park it really doesn't matter. I normally takes the eastern route. And only takes a couple of hours.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Pete like Johan says it does not really matter.There are a few waterholes through the Park.Choose a route that will take you to these waterholes.We left Sekereti at 8 in the morning and had a slow drive stopping at various waterholes.We arrived at Khaudum at 3 in the afternoon.
    So take your time and enjoy.
    If you have a GPS get Tracks4Africa loaded.It will show you the various sand roads.
    Be aware the elephants down a lot of trees and they often lie over the 2 spoor sand paths.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

Ja enter at Sikeretti and proceed north to Khaudom camp . The hard part is the 70 odd kms north of the Park to the tar road to Caprivi/Rundu

Like Johan, I prefer the easternmost route. The westernmost route gets used occasionally by supply trucks and other heavier vehicles, so the tweespoor tends to be a bit wide for a bakkie-width wheelbase so you end up dragging your diffs/sump.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Hi Pete,

I will be travelling this route in October this year too, maybe our paths will cross

We will be 2x toyota 79 series. We have done the eastern route from north to south before and really love this park. As others have already said the northern part is slower going, so factor a bit extra time on that side, and be preparrd to encounter trees pushed over the tracks by ellies.

Enjoy!! And keep and eye out for us.

Nick

We are also thinking about visiting Kaudum last two weeks of october or in the first week of november (we have not finalized our travel plans yet).

However we are just one car (2014 Hilux) and are quite hesitant to go just by ourselves. It will be our first visit to Khaudum and from what I have found, it is advised to go with a minimum of two vehicles.

I was thinking that if there would be others in the park with similar travel plans, we could either team up or exchange contact details so we could help each other out in case of serious problems.

Anyone keen on teaming up or being our backup in case of a serious breakdown?
    Let me know!

Bart

A little off topic but probably relevant.
    Does anybody else find some of the adult bull elephant to be really aggro in this park.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    A little off topic but probably relevant.
    Does anybody else find some of the adult bull elephant to be really aggro in this park.
    No, I found that cow groups are maybe a more agitating with vehicles than any bull there, but also depends how close you get to them.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/10/10 at 02:31 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe