VW T5.1 EGR Blank via ECU

Post VW T5.1 EGR Blank via ECU

Hi All,
    I'm aware I might be looking for a needle in a haystack here but is there per chance anyone with a 2010/11 VW Caravelle 2.0 BiTd Auto that has undergone an EGR blank via their ECU and/or has done an EGR blank on their machine ?
    My EGR is giving me a lot of trouble atm & would appreciate any feedback!
    Cheers!
    -Suedwester
    • 2010 VW T5.1 / BiTd 4Motion
    • Farm Landsberg, Helmeringhausen
    • Namib Desert

Default Re: VW T5.1 EGR Blank via ECU

I've got that year model CFCA engine code, you can blank the EGR out via a ecu remap but can not blank out like on the other 2.0l TDI engines, the oil cooler and EGR are one unit

No money for a real 4x4 so I pimped my
    2011 Volkswagen Transporter 2.0 BiTdi 132kw 4Motion DSG

3. The Following User Says Thank You to johannvisser For This Useful Post:

Wasn,t there somebody that said he checked and he thinks an Amarok engine one will work as well, where is the Amarok's oil cooler
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Yes you can blank off the EGR pipes, albeit if you mapped out your EGR valve from the ECU.

I have picked up major trouble with my EGR 3 days ago, at start up that morning she was bellowing out white smoke, looked like a steam train, the expansion bottle emptied after 2 km.
    Found no oil on the dipstick.
    I have mapped my EGR vlave out of the ECU , a few years ago by ATM from Dbn, and increased my power to 152 kw and 470 NM torque
    My exhaust system filled up so much that the engine struggled to turn over with the starter from I think back pressure, from the coolant.

I than spoke to Salmon from Kuilsrivier (Force Maps), very helpful and seems to know this CFCA (132kw)engine well.
    On his advise I opened the EGR pipe , and lo and behold coolant that is not supposed to be there rushed out.
    I made blanking plates , 3 are the same(6 mm thick aluminium) and the one on the intake pipe((2 mm aluminium) is a different profile that goes into the intake pipe.

The culprit is this illustrated above, oil filter , EGR cooler , Oil cooler module , only fitted to the T5 and not to the Amarok.
    If your EGR cooler have an A or C suffix behind the number 03L 115 512 A or C your EGR coolant plates erodes and it blows the aluminium particles into the engines which scourer the sleeves and ultimately you have excessive oil consumption and engine failure in the long run.

D suffix is the current improved one, mine have no suffix at all , because it was the first ones when this engine came out in 2010.
    If you have remapped out your EGR valve, dont be like me, you have to remove the two pipes and blank it up, other wise you have corrosion inside and water goes into the exhaust manifold

My vehicle left a white smoke trail , but Salmon told me take it for a good spin after blanking and after 30 km , the white smoke instantaneously disappeared.My vehicle struggled to start there was like a hydraulic lock up nearly but eventually she fired.
    This morning , started immediately and no smoke

I am chuffed would have cost me over R 30 000.00 at stealers to repair, my cost zero , had off cuts aluminium.
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/05/18 at 12:48 PM.
    Koos Best

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

What I have learned is that after you have blanked off the EGR pipes to the engine and the inlet manifold , you can also disconnect the water supply, to the tank by balnking that off as well.
    The CFCA engine in the T5 suffers terribly from this bad design EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER , OIL FILTER MODULE.The reason the CFCA engine have this in the T5 , is because of the firewall of the vehicle , they had no space at the back, because its fitted transversally in the T5, so they invented this flaw, see below

To overcome this fatal design flaw , you can fit the following module , much much cheaper from Goldwagen.You just have to connect the coolant pipe to the oil cooler, which is there all ready
    Part number
    V 03L 115 389 C

This is the replacement, as you can see no coolant tank , with the dreaded aluminium cooling fans , that erodes and cause engine wear and turbo wear with resultant engine failure, like forum memebers here have experienced.
    Another thing that will change is your oil filter from a spin on , to a cartidge type.

So get rid of your EGR map it out, balnk the coolant off and the egr opening , or replace with this part number.
    Thank you Johnboy, he have a lot of knowledge pertaining to this 2.0 TDI engines EGR coolers.
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/05/22 at 09:37 AM.
    Koos Best

Is daardie 'n Amarok se cooler?

Amarok CFCA enjin is 03L 117 021 C,so ver ek weet , mag verkeerd wees.
    Hierdie een is vir Audi, Skoda en VW 1.9D en 2.0D , maar op kommersiele enjins van VW soos in vurkhysers ens .
    Volgens navorsing pas dit op die CFCA enjin van die T5, en is die goedkoopste.
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/05/22 at 02:36 PM.
    Koos Best

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

After chatting to Koos, I also did some additional looking into the coolant system on the CFCA VW T5. Luckily it seems that the EGR Cooler has a separate loop to the rest of the cooling system which helps being able to isolate the EGR cooler, and get rid of the whole problematic unit if you want to replace it with an oil cooler only unit.

I had Coolant pump 2 (which is the coolant pump that supplies the EGR Cooler) also written out of the software when doing the EGR delete.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgvkvz5xev...agram.png?dl=0

If I understand things correctly, while they are part of the same unit:
    - EGR Cooler has a inlet and outlet for coolant (on a separate loop)
    - Oil Cooler receives coolant from the engine block directly and has an outlet for coolant that goes back to the ball thermostat.

Disclaimer - All of this is from a theoretical analysis of manuals and diagrams, and not from an in-depth knowledge of working on the engine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to creesen For This Useful Post:

We are getting to this problem , we here can overcome all of this by deleting the EGR completely, in other countries they are not allowed to.

As mentioned before to replace this unit(EGR VALVE, EGR COOLER , OIL COOLER , OIL FILTER MODULE) will cost from the dealers R 38 000 plus labour cost of R 7 500.00 .

Goldwagen has just quoted me on the oil filter module 03L 115 359 for R 1495.00 , so its a no brainer to convert to something that WILL not destruct your engine and turbos because of aluminium particle contamination in your oil.

To recap, on CFCA engines BiTdi 132 kw engines on T5 and T6's
    Map out the EGR valve and the water pump as Creesen has suggested
    Blank the ports of the EGR on the engine block and the inlet manifold
    Remove this

En moer hom ver weg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connect your EGR coolant pipes with each other.
    And replace with

03L 115 389 C

And you will have a 132 kw Kombi, Caravelle, Transporter or California, with no trouble at all , and no exhorbitant cost or repair bills for the future.

Last edited by Koos Best; 2020/06/09 at 08:38 AM.
    Koos Best

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

This sounds promising!!!

But it seems beyond my DIY skills unfortunately.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

I came to the same conclusion... My mechanic (Indy) is onto it for the next service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cats View Post
    This sounds promising!!!

But it seems beyond my DIY skills unfortunately.

CATS

Can i ask why the complete removal of the egr is necessary and blanking it out isn’t good enough?
    I would have thought blanking it would stop the particles getting into the intake no?

Quote Originally Posted by Twistit View Post
    Can i ask why the complete removal of the egr is necessary and blanking it out isn’t good enough?
    I would have thought blanking it would stop the particles getting into the intake no?
    Yes, you can
    But, remap it out of the ecu and blank the coolant pipes, as mentioned in previous posts
    Koos Best

I’m only asking because I recently installed an egr emulator that tricks the ecu into thinking the egr is working, but in reality it’s closed. $190 bucks for the unit and no remap required.

Is disconnecting the coolant necessary if There’s no coolant in the pipes?
    Last edited by Twistit; 2020/07/16 at 11:17 AM.

I’m only asking because I recently installed an egr emulator that tricks the ecu into thinking the egr is working, but in reality it’s closed. $190 bucks for the unit and no remap required.

There is coolant in the pipe,flowing through the module your vehicle just doesnt use the EGR valve, but I highly recommend to blank the openings,if corrosion happens inside the coolant gets into the engine like mine. But yes you dont neccesarily need to disconnet the water , but blank the gas pipes
    Koos Best

Where can I get more information on this emulator please?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivtec View Post
    Where can I get more information on this emulator please?
    Tafmet emulators in google, not much info out there I could find but it’s doing the job so far.