MediaRelease: Conqueror Comfort vs Metalian Maxi

Default Conqueror Comfort vs Metalian Maxi

Hey guys.

Hope everyone is well.

Iím in the market for a trailer.
    But honestly Iím torn between a Conqueror comfort and a Metalian Maxi.

I feel both have merits.

I am looking for a family trailer that I can overland with two kids.
    Looking for comfort for the Swambo where can can setup ďhomeĒ but I can explore our amazing African continent.

What do you guys think?

Default Re: Conqueror Comfort vs Metalian Maxi

Both are excellent but when it comes to actual weight when kitted, the Metalian definitely trumps the Comfort
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Metalian all the way if it was my choice
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

Metalian Maxi
    2014 Ford Ranger T6 Wildtrak 3.2 (4x4)
    Tough Dog Suspension, Rhino Bumper, PBE Dual Battery System, Takla Floor Covers, Escape Gear Seat Covers, LED Light Bar, Hytera VHF, Dick Cepek with Cooper ST/Maxx 265/75/R16, National Luna 90L Twin & 55L, Gobi-X Fridge Slide (Next upgrade - Winch, Snorkel, Rock Sliders, Alu or S/Steel Canopy)

2018 Volkswagen Kombi

2019 Metalian Maxi Off-road Trailer

We don't think. We know.
    Metalian.
    Choose life

Thanks guys.
    Why Metalian?

I would agree Metalian, but taking someone's word shouldn't make your decision. Have a physical look at both and compare the specs. You will immediately get a gut feel and know which one. Weight, building material, quality, workmanship, layout, price, design, practicality etc.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by Souty View Post
    Thanks guys.
    Why Metalian?
    Come have a look at my maxi. I'm in Roodepoort.
    Choose life

As I mentioned above, the most important reason I went with Metalian is the low TARE weight. The Conqueror products are very well built, donít get me wrong so this isnít a brand bash at all, but they are definitely a lot heavier (we have done two weigh bridge days and this was proven there). Also, the Metalian is a monocoque design meaning it has much more packing space for its size.

Also, the body is semi-stainless so it should last very long.

Look at both and then decide
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Brand aside. I will have a look at the after sales service as well. This forum might be a good starting point. Good luck with your choice.

Metalian gave me excellent after-sales service on a canopy and if I remember correctly, there were issues with Conqueror discussed on this forum in terms of after-sales service.

I would opt for the Metalian

Bostoe

I had the same choice and circumstances, family is me, the wife, two kids and possibly some friends camping with us (without their own kit) sometimes. This will be my first and last trailer hopefully:

I chose the Metalian Maxi because:

1. It's stainless steel so I don't have to worry about corrosion. I'm a bit of a slapgat when it comes to maintenance, so after two weeks on a beach in Moz, if I take a week or two to wash down the Maxi, I'm not creating a future rust bucket. Not a fan of the Conqueror mild steel and extensive use of rivets, doesn't matter how much you coat and paint, these things get scratched and every scratch and rivet becomes a potential spot for rust.

2. The Metalian sheet metal is welded beautifully together with very few rivets used. They put a lot of effort into construction of the shell. It's pretty amazing in fact, probably why so many people like them. They use the insides of all doors very effectively for utility space leaving lots of packing space available in the sliders at the back and the various built in storage areas. You can pack your clothes into the trailer and not use ammo boxes. My trailer is fully packed and I still have tons of utility storage with no idea what I will use it for.

3. The Metalian is the lightest and most compact of all those that met my requirements. It tows like a dream, my Disco hardly feels any less responsive, I have to watch my speed constantly and remind myself that I am towing.

4. I didn't like the massive slide out kitchen of the Conqueror, I think it's overkill and sacrificed prime packing space in lieu of a massive underutilised kitchen area. I preferred a more compact kitchen setup on the Maxi and that slide out space available for packing space. I do all the cooking and the Maxi's kitchen area is absolutely perfect with space for everything and everything in reach.

5. I also didn't like the kind of forced use of ammo boxes for clothing and stuff in the Conqueror. The Maxi has two cupboards for me and the wife and the kids and others can bring a bag and chuck it in the back. I have no ammo boxes in the Maxi.

6. Metalian gives you more options when constructing the various components of the base trailer whereas Conqueror takes a pretty kitted out base and lets you add more stuff to it, most of which are nice to have's than necessities.

7. Metalian worked out a little cheaper for me than the Conqueror (not much, say R10k), you can say they are the same price for the same specs but I feel that the Metalian trailer is better made, designed and will last me longer. This also means you wait longer for a Metalian whereas you can pull a Conqueror out of stock pretty much immediately.

8. The Metalian awning is probably the best awning available on the market, and it's not that funny trapezium shape, its square over the whole kitchen area, rear area and is pretty wide, no need for a gazebo ever.

BUT, the Conqueror:

1. Has a better tent, the tent is amazing and you can see it has improved over time through making tons of them. Metalian tents are only starting in production, they have a long way to go before they can compete. I tried unsuccessfully to buy a Conqueror tent (:-), but my custom designed tent from metalian came out pretty good.

2. The premium mattress from Conqueror is amazing.

3. Conqueror has branches everywhere so getting after-market support will be easier. Metalian uses affiliated 4X4 and Camp Shops which I suppose is okay but not as good.

4. Conqueror are a much larger operation and were able to make huge investments into Sales, Distribution, After-Market support. Testing of accessories into the range etc. So they are probably more structured, organised and professional organisation than Metalian. Metalian is probably still more niche and will need a few more years to get there.

BUT, everywhere I go:

1. People stop me to talk about my trailer.
    2. Most people in a 4x4 do a double take when I or they drive past me, even those towing Conquerors
    3. The guys in the camp stores that sell all trailer brands all say I have the best trailer available in SA today.

So, your choice !!!
    Last edited by Garfy; 2019/09/01 at 12:37 PM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Garfy For This Useful Post:

Nice and accurate write up Garfy.
    I have my maxi now almost 6 years. We camp on average 24 nights per year and has been all over and on some bad offroad roads. I have never needed backup or after sales service so I don't think the small amount of sales/service centres is a problem.
    We have a tentco tent that was modified a bit and is now great. We always look at other trailers and set ups and always say to ourselves: pNope. Metalian is better.
    Choose life

The main service items on a trailer are the bearings and brakes. That can be done anywhere.

We love our maxi. Build to last

I bought last year and went with the Conqueror Comfort Platinum trailer. The Platinum units stood out for me in terms of looks. Used the trailer around 12 times now totaling around 60 days. In terms of packing space you can pack a lot into the comfort.

Kitchen setup works very nicely. Have had a shower added onto mine as well. I ended up buying from Conqueror Midrand which is 5 kmís from my house so thatís also handy. Find their after sales service at this branch very good.

In terms of the ammo boxes Conqueror will replace those with draws if you donít want the ammo box option. The bed is very big. I would just get them to do the upgraded mattress, basically where they add the additional 50mm piece on top of the mattress. The tent itself is very good quality.

I have not had any issues with the trailer during the first year.

It tows very easily behind the 2.2 Ranger.

The Metalian is also a very good unit so I donít believe you can go wrong with either.