Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Western Cape
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10

    Default Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Hello all,

    Its been a while since my last post, back again to learn from those in the know.

    I am currently scouting around for a decent secondhand double cab bakkie in the R200k to R250k range and nothing older than 2010 to 2011 year models as financing said bakkie will be a requirement.

    For now all i would like to know is the pro's and con's of the below makes and models as these are what i have found to be available in my price range and to my liking and preferences.


    • 2010/2011 Isuzu KB300 D-teq LX D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCi D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Everest 3.0TDCi 7 Seater Auto (not a D/C but will serve the purpose)


    4x4 is not a must but will be a bonus
    The intended purpose for this vehicle will be for weekend outings to cart along the kids and dogs and the odd camping trip.
    Will also be used to do round trips into town of no more than 10km daily every second week with limited traffic time.

    Between the Isuzu and Ford, which of the 3.0l common rail motors are the best and same between the two automatic gearboxes?
    What is there to watch out for on each and so on...

    Currently i have my eye on a 2012 Isuzu KB300 Dteq LX D/C Auto 2x4 with 106k km on the odometer, single owner and full service history.
    This vehicle comes at a cost of R249k including vat and a 2 year unlimited km AA warranty.

    Looking forward to the advice from those in the know.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Richard

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,573

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    They are all solid vehicles. The ONLY negative is that I think rebuild kits for the Ford 3.0TDCi are scarce as this was (I think) a Brazilian engine.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Durbanville, CPT
    Age
    43
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Any reason you have not included the Mitsubishi Triton 2,5 in your list?

    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...trand/5140905/
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-Town/5105351/
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pierre van Ryneveld
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,332

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    If it was my own money I would opt for the Isuzu...

    Other options are not bad as well, but my vote goes for the Isuzu


  5. #5

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hello all,

    Its been a while since my last post, back again to learn from those in the know.

    I am currently scouting around for a decent secondhand double cab bakkie in the R200k to R250k range and nothing older than 2010 to 2011 year models as financing said bakkie will be a requirement.

    For now all i would like to know is the pro's and con's of the below makes and models as these are what i have found to be available in my price range and to my liking and preferences.


    • 2010/2011 Isuzu KB300 D-teq LX D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCi D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Everest 3.0TDCi 7 Seater Auto (not a D/C but will serve the purpose)


    Out of curiousity, why only these brands? Why not consider other brands such as Toyota as well?

    A quick look on AutoTrader gave me lots of 2011-models of Toyota DoubleCab 4x4 bakkies, all auto. With prices ranging from R180k up to R250k.

    Also, the tendency is to shift to the 2lt range: the Ford 2.0 and 2.2lt, Toyota's 2.4lt, etc due to the more fuel effcient consumption (the 3.0lt's are quite heavy on fuel and given your stress on your budget, might be a factor with the running, monthly cost of re-fill of the bakkie's bigger tanks).

    (and by the way: I am not a Toyota fanatic supporter, I drive a 2.2lt Ford bakkie - I am just giving you ideas about other brands)

    Just an example:
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...x4&isused=true


    At the moment the Isuzu and Toyota got a very good reputation. Ford's early bakkie models had issues with the gear boxes. Just saying....


    As for what to look out for (in terms of potential problems), the short and sweet answer is the gear boxes. No one can get a reliable idea or feeling of how the previous owners used these vehicles and the gear boxes, especially in 4x4 usage. Best would be to look for one with a proper service record.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Western Cape
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_Nel View Post
    Any reason you have not included the Mitsubishi Triton 2,5 in your list?

    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...trand/5140905/
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...-Town/5105351/
    Hello Jacques,

    Personally i love Mitsubishi, currently have a 2.0GLS Lancer that has never ever let me down, and previously had a 98 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6 that i bought with 67k km on and sold last year with 375k km on. The only issue i have with the 2.5 motor as in the Triton is that its not a true Mitsubishi motor (or at least thats what i have been told by a company that maintains and services my cars). I believe it to be a Hyundai motor which in it self is also a good quality brand, but for some reason (again from what i have been told) its just not as reliable as the bigger 3.2DiD.

    The vehicle's in the links you posted do look good though and it seems to be good value for money.

    Regards
    Richard

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Western Cape
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Out of curiousity, why only these brands? Why not consider other brands such as Toyota as well?

    A quick look on AutoTrader gave me lots of 2011-models of Toyota DoubleCab 4x4 bakkies, all auto. With prices ranging from R180k up to R250k.

    Also, the tendency is to shift to the 2lt range: the Ford 2.0 and 2.2lt, Toyota's 2.4lt, etc due to the more fuel effcient consumption (the 3.0lt's are quite heavy on fuel and given your stress on your budget, might be a factor with the running, monthly cost of re-fill of the bakkie's bigger tanks).

    (and by the way: I am not a Toyota fanatic supporter, I drive a 2.2lt Ford bakkie - I am just giving you ideas about other brands)

    Just an example:
    https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...x4&isused=true


    At the moment the Isuzu and Toyota got a very good reputation. Ford's early bakkie models had issues with the gear boxes. Just saying....


    As for what to look out for (in terms of potential problems), the short and sweet answer is the gear boxes. No one can get a reliable idea or feeling of how the previous owners used these vehicles and the gear boxes, especially in 4x4 usage. Best would be to look for one with a proper service record.
    Hi there GroenHoender,

    Unfortunately my dad will see me pull up 2km away at our farm gate with his S&B PMii scope mounted to his Mojiet .338 Lapua Magnum extreme long range rifle. Before the rear wheels of a Hilux will ever make it over the cattle rails there will already be a Berger VLD projectile coming through the radiator.

    The above will be followed by disowning me.

    Lol

    Regards
    Richard

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Durban North
    Age
    64
    Posts
    537

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    I have a 2011 3.2 Triton and a 2012 2.2 Ranger and really can't say I get any better consumption around town, that 6th gear on the Ranger makes the difference on longer trips.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    cape town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,198

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hi there GroenHoender,

    Unfortunately my dad will see me pull up 2km away at our farm gate with his S&B PMii scope mounted to his Mojiet .338 Lapua Magnum extreme long range rifle. Before the rear wheels of a Hilux will ever make it over the cattle rails there will already be a Berger VLD projectile coming through the radiator.

    The above will be followed by disowning me.

    Lol

    Regards
    Richard
    your dad has some issues

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Randfontein
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,441

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hi there GroenHoender,

    Unfortunately my dad will see me pull up 2km away at our farm gate with his S&B PMii scope mounted to his Mojiet .338 Lapua Magnum extreme long range rifle. Before the rear wheels of a Hilux will ever make it over the cattle rails there will already be a Berger VLD projectile coming through the radiator.

    The above will be followed by disowning me.

    Lol

    Regards
    Richard
    Your dad is a good guy

    Go test drive one of each and buy the Isuzu.
    2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2019 Suzuki Baleno 1.4 GLX platkar

  11. #11

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hi there GroenHoender,

    Unfortunately my dad will see me pull up 2km away at our farm gate with his S&B PMii scope mounted to his Mojiet .338 Lapua Magnum extreme long range rifle. Before the rear wheels of a Hilux will ever make it over the cattle rails there will already be a Berger VLD projectile coming through the radiator.

    The above will be followed by disowning me.

    Lol

    Regards
    Richard

    Bwahahaha! That is the best comment for the weekend, ever! Made my day! :-D :-)

    Out of curiousity what does your dad drive with his passionate "love" for the Hilux? :-P

  12. #12

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    By the way, I would also vote for the Isuzu in your list of choices. Solid truck.
    Lots of my farm-family members and farm-friends drove Isuzu, or has one.
    It is a real work-horse, long before Toyota claimed to be one ;-)
    Hopefully you can knock its price a litle bit down to around R230k thereabouts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Rietvalleirand, Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    128

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Since you can't have a Hilux it has to be an Isuzu.
    1994 VW Fox 1.6 (W/O)
    1994 Opel Astra F 1.8i (Sold)
    2002 Opel Astra G 2L CDX (Sold)
    2006 Opel Corsa C 1.7CDTi (Sold)
    2006 Opel Astra H 1.9CDTi (Sold)
    2008 Subaru Impreza 1.5 AWD (Sold)
    2013 Chevrolet Utility 1.4 Sport (Sold)
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.4 GD-6 SRX (Current)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Western Cape
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Bwahahaha! That is the best comment for the weekend, ever! Made my day! :-D :-)

    Out of curiousity what does your dad drive with his passionate "love" for the Hilux? :-P
    His fleet for his business in town consists 2 x 2.2 6spd Rangers, one very trustworthy 2006 Isuzu KB300 with 350k km on the odo and all original internals, and one little Toyota stallion as a shop truck but powered by a small block Chevy.

    Then on the farm another new 2018 Ranger 2.2 4x4 ( the dust collector as it never goes anywhere ) and then his daily 2013 Ranger 3.2 4x4 D/C that just hit 200k km on the odo without any hiccups and believe me this bakkie works - it lives in 4WD high permanently. The latter is now on the cards to be traded in on the new Ford Amarok Ranger 2.0 bi turbo 10spd bla bla bla whatever they call it.

    Then there is also a trusty BT50 3.0tdci that has 570k km on it with only injectors done on 500k km and nothing else, this is the farm workers bakkie.

    And then last but not least there was a 1974 Ford F250 4x4 high boy powered by a ADE truck engine. This has now since come to my home to become a restoration project.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Durbanville, CPT
    Age
    43
    Posts
    127

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hello Jacques,

    Personally i love Mitsubishi, currently have a 2.0GLS Lancer that has never ever let me down, and previously had a 98 Pajero LWB 3.5 V6 that i bought with 67k km on and sold last year with 375k km on. The only issue i have with the 2.5 motor as in the Triton is that its not a true Mitsubishi motor (or at least thats what i have been told by a company that maintains and services my cars). I believe it to be a Hyundai motor which in it self is also a good quality brand, but for some reason (again from what i have been told) its just not as reliable as the bigger 3.2DiD.

    The vehicle's in the links you posted do look good though and it seems to be good value for money.

    Regards
    Richard
    Hi Richard,

    I am concerned if it was a Hyundai motor, but then again , I have not had 1 days problems in 5 years of owning one. Still very sad I sold it a year ago.

    From some research, this is what I found,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Triton
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsub...on_engine#4D56

    So, it appears it is a Mitsubishi manufactured engine in the Triton with the following engines

    • 2.5 L 4D56 I4 (diesel)
    • 2.5 L 4D56 I4-T (diesel)


    Good luck with your choice! it is not an easy one
    Jacques
    2016 Ford Ranger XL DC 4x4
    2009 Mitsubishi Triton DC 4x2 - Sold
    2005 Mitsubishi Colt 2.4 DC 4x2 - Sold

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,456

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    I have owned an Isuzu, it carried a load of 900 kg, 200km/day on sand roads,6 days per week.. It did
    300 k km like that.

    A new driver put a conrod through the block. I put in a second hand import motor and it did another 300 k km..

    I also have a Ford 2.2...Very nice vehicle for sand roads, economical (8l/100km open road) and comfortable, not a 4x4..

    Difficult choice, but I'd go Isuzu and know it will do 300k km easily with no problems.. The gearbox will fail before the engine does...
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2019/08/31 at 07:17 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hello The only issue i have with the 2.5 motor as in the Triton is that its not a true Mitsubishi motor (or at least thats what i have been told by a company that maintains and services my cars). I believe it to be a Hyundai motor which in it self is also a good quality brand, but for some reason (again from what i have been told) its just not as reliable as the bigger 3.2DiD.
    Whoever told you that, does not have the facts correct.
    The 4d56 Mitsu engine was developed in the 1980s.
    It has evolved into the current engine with new head, ECU, injection etc, but the sub-assembly is much the same.
    Hyundai manufactured it under license from Mitsubishi.
    I had a 1989 Gen 1 Pajero with the 4d56 engine.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Age
    33
    Posts
    103

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hello all,

    Its been a while since my last post, back again to learn from those in the know.

    I am currently scouting around for a decent secondhand double cab bakkie in the R200k to R250k range and nothing older than 2010 to 2011 year models as financing said bakkie will be a requirement.

    For now all i would like to know is the pro's and con's of the below makes and models as these are what i have found to be available in my price range and to my liking and preferences.


    • 2010/2011 Isuzu KB300 D-teq LX D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCi D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Everest 3.0TDCi 7 Seater Auto (not a D/C but will serve the purpose)


    4x4 is not a must but will be a bonus
    The intended purpose for this vehicle will be for weekend outings to cart along the kids and dogs and the odd camping trip.
    Will also be used to do round trips into town of no more than 10km daily every second week with limited traffic time.

    Between the Isuzu and Ford, which of the 3.0l common rail motors are the best and same between the two automatic gearboxes?
    What is there to watch out for on each and so on...

    Currently i have my eye on a 2012 Isuzu KB300 Dteq LX D/C Auto 2x4 with 106k km on the odometer, single owner and full service history.
    This vehicle comes at a cost of R249k including vat and a 2 year unlimited km AA warranty.

    Looking forward to the advice from those in the know.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Richard
    I was in the same situation not to long ago, Why not Ford/Mazda 2.2, you will get a decent one for R250 000 and your father wont have to shoot you.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Western Cape
    Age
    35
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep 86 View Post
    I was in the same situation not to long ago, Why not Ford/Mazda 2.2, you will get a decent one for R250 000 and your father wont have to shoot you.
    Hi there Jeep 86, im a little scared of second hand 2.2 ford motors. I have been following some of the Facebook forums as well as heard from workshops that the 2.2 can go bang around the 100k to 150k km mark due to failing EGR valves.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    39
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: Second Hand Double Cab Bakkie

    Quote Originally Posted by Abbott.45ACP View Post
    Hello all,

    Its been a while since my last post, back again to learn from those in the know.

    I am currently scouting around for a decent secondhand double cab bakkie in the R200k to R250k range and nothing older than 2010 to 2011 year models as financing said bakkie will be a requirement.

    For now all i would like to know is the pro's and con's of the below makes and models as these are what i have found to be available in my price range and to my liking and preferences.


    • 2010/2011 Isuzu KB300 D-teq LX D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Ranger 3.0TDCi D/C Auto
    • 2010/2011 Ford Everest 3.0TDCi 7 Seater Auto (not a D/C but will serve the purpose)


    4x4 is not a must but will be a bonus
    The intended purpose for this vehicle will be for weekend outings to cart along the kids and dogs and the odd camping trip.
    Will also be used to do round trips into town of no more than 10km daily every second week with limited traffic time.

    Between the Isuzu and Ford, which of the 3.0l common rail motors are the best and same between the two automatic gearboxes?
    What is there to watch out for on each and so on...

    Currently i have my eye on a 2012 Isuzu KB300 Dteq LX D/C Auto 2x4 with 106k km on the odometer, single owner and full service history.
    This vehicle comes at a cost of R249k including vat and a 2 year unlimited km AA warranty.

    Looking forward to the advice from those in the know.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards
    Richard
    Price on Isuzu is little bit high. I bought exact same vehicle in 2014 for R249K, it had 71K KM. now it has 160K KM trouble free..... you won't go wrong with ISUZU
    Isuzu KB300 2012 Auto - KingHyundai Grand10 1.2 Auto - Queen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •