Ideas for travel on SWAMBO's 50th

Default Ideas for travel on SWAMBO's 50th

I wonder if anybody can help with ideas for a trip.

SWAMBO is turning 50 in about 18 months and I would like to do something special.

We would like to travel, but it needs to be on a budget.
    Camping or motorhome travel, but away from crowds preferably.
    2 Weeks max, traveling on our own, no fixed address, no planned stops.

Ideas thus far:
    Namibia, Angola while renting a kitted 4x4.
    Italy, Croatia, Romania, Russia, Czech, Nederlands or Ireland by motorhome. Not limited to these.
    NZ or Aus by 4x4.

I think one might run into hassles because of the lack of fixed address, but some countries might be easier than others.
    We love Old Europe, architecture, nature, open spaces.
    Willing to camp very basic if need be.
    Budget is very important.

Nam would be the easiest and cheapest as we have family renting 4x4's there plus access to a house in Walvis bay.
    Day trips around Walvis?
    I love Namibia and was last there in 1989 during Army, but that wouldn't be Swambos 1st choice.
    She would pick Italy or Croatia perhaps.

Some out of the box ideas perhaps?

Default Re: Ideas for travel on SWAMBO's 50th

Houseboat on Kariba for a week. The rest of the time getting there and back the interesting way.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Fly into San Francisco, motor down to Yosemite Nat. Park, then through Sequoia Nat. Park back to SF. Catch a plane to Flagstaff motor to the Grand Canyon and take in Sedona (red rocks) at the same time.

Fly to Lanzerote (Canary Islands) for two weeks of sun and Tapa's. Hire a car and explore the volcanic island, awesome. DON'T fill the tank.

Take her to the Delta, fly into Maun. Charter to three camps, 3/4 night in each via small plane and enjoy the luxury of the African Bush.

Book Shayamanzi on Lake Jozini and take the family and friends and surprise her big time.

Tour the UK, drive from LHR to the Cotswold's, Stradford upon Avon, Upper and Lower Slaughter then mosey on up to the Lake District. Go to Warwick Castle and worm your way back to LHR.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2019/08/29 at 08:12 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Houseboat on Kariba for a week. The rest of the time getting there and back the interesting way.
    Nice idea! The Prado could do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Stander View Post
    Nice idea! The Prado could do that.
    If you do do that then I would recommend a boat from the Binga side, less commercial. If you want to get exotic approach from the Caprivi, I have not done this route.

We stayed at Ivory Lodge once on the way up, rustic tree houses, we enjoyed that;

https://www.amalindacollection.com/lodges/ivory-lodge/

Going that way you can take in Vic Falls from both Zimbabwean side as well as the Zambian side.

Be sure to do the Matobo National Park either on the way there and back. About 60/70km's outside Bulawayo.

So Gab's / Francistown / Plumtree / Matobo's / Bulawayo / Ivory Lodge / Binga / Vic Falls / Milibizi (for the ferry)

http://www.karibaferries.com/

Ferry down Kariba to the dam wall, Harare, Beit Bridge, home.

Adam,

for my wife's 50th I did the Okavango Delta. I prepared a long printed invite with an itinerary, maps, clothes to wear, baggage size (limited due to the smaller plane's), description and pictures of the camp. Flight details you name it, there was nothing she had to ask, she had the full manual. Who would look after the kids, house, pets etc. I removed every possible obstacle for her.

We did Okuti, Kanana and Shindi which we booked through Kerr & Downey. We flew the whole way though.

My wife read that invite over and over again for 3 days before she said anything, she was blown away. Her birthday was while we were at Shindi and they baked her a chocolate cake and we all sang happy birthday to her.

I was a very special 12 days.

Kanana Camp - Dining room on the left, wife sitting on the deck on the right with bird book.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kanana0124.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	472.0 KB 
ID:	538971

Okuti Dining room, Elephants came right up.

Name:	1016Okuti0013.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	490.8 KB 
ID:	538972

Name:	CShindi0082.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	453.5 KB 
ID:	538976

Good luck, I am sure she we be well spoiled. The best is to tell nobody, not the kids nobody, has to be a massive surprise.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2019/08/30 at 07:54 AM.