Bush Lapa general discussions - Page 11

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Default Re: Bush Lapa general discussions

What would the best be in terms of battery size?

I think 105Ah will just make it, but I would think 160Ah as a minimum would be better?

I have found with 105Ah I have to shut off the fridge during the evenings when I go to bed, otherwise the battery will drop to below 50%.

Would make sense if you say there are very little solar current coming in from say 16:00 until 08:00 the next morning. Think 5Ah lost per hour is a good guideline for running the fridge and some lights, so basically you will need 16 hours from the battery?
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFS..._as=subscriber
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post

I think 105Ah will just make it, but I would think 160Ah as a minimum would be better?

I have found with 105Ah I have to shut off the fridge during the evenings when I go to bed, otherwise the battery will drop to below 50%.

Would make sense if you say there are very little solar current coming in from say 16:00 until 08:00 the next morning. Think 5Ah lost per hour is a good guideline for running the fridge and some lights, so basically you will need 16 hours from the battery?
    HI

I have 2 x 105AH batteries and run a 90L NL twin. Freezer at -12 - Fridge side at +1. Had no issues and ran for 2 days without any charge. Was testing the unit.

When I connected the Solar, have 2 one on the roof which I could not use as we parked in the shade. The Mobile Panel 120w connected via the BL plug in the front, worked like a dream and charge up the batteries and keep all going, we tested that for 7 days whilst on camp.. Key, don't open the fridge that often.

Dave

Dave
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post

I have kept a close eye on the amount that the fridge uses. Mine tops at around 4,6 aH and that is when I switch it on and needs to go down to the required temps from around 20 C

when I enable turbo mode on the fridge it goes up to 6,4 aH

When it has reached its target temperature it usually only comes on a few minutes every now and then, and then it uses only around 2,4 aH

So saying 5aH per hour for the night is a bit extreme - thats only if you load the fridge with hot beers before you go to sleep instead of doing it in the morning when the sun is shining

I had small test this weekend because the plug I had didn't work (only realized Saturday morning) and the battery wasn't charged from around 14:30 on Friday till 10:00 on Saturday, and it only went down to 12,4 Volts - this was on a single 105 aH Royal battery without me being careful with lights and fridge use (because I was unaware of the charger not working)

Maybe do a test with your battery and use it over a weekend as you would typically use it at a camp - this will give you real life times with a good indication of life on your single 105
    Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 DI-D 4x4
    BL925 - Ratel 4

My Baobab 1873 was collected in July last year. I noticed after a few weeks that it was fitted with the 1.8 T axle although under the impression after May press release that new models will have 2.5T. Mine seemed to be in production already when i placed order in June so was not covered by press release.

I contacted Mitch at BL Centurion, sent email etc. and they gave go ahead to fit 2.5T. I will be taking it in end of Feb.

Once again great service from BL.

They are always willing to assist and make good in order to keep their customers happy.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    ....Once again great service from BL. ...
    I must agree.

We had a tree vs wing incident in Namibia over December of which the outcome wat Tree = 1, Wing = 0.

Hubby send a mail to Martin in Paarl early in January before they re-openend after December break, requesting a quote for a new wing. Martin responded on the day they re-opened. Although it was well after 5 o'clock, he responded almost immediately to 2 follow up e-mails. That is great service!

We are also replacing the canvas for the roof and the bracket where the rear stabilizers are stored (the camp appy did not replace the one part, so it was left on the roof and fell off somewhere in Mariental). Original ETA was 4 weeks, but our new wing, sides, roof and bracket was delivered to Centurion last week.

Old BL 78 is going in to Centurion next Monday for that plus some other well deserved TLC after more than 7 years of faithful and faultless service.

I do love my caravan to bits and will miss it like a child when it is not there next week.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/02/03 at 10:29 AM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Jip thats great service, I have also only had good service on small issues via the agent I deal with in PE.

@Bruce, if I recall correctly, last year when you mentioned the axle issue, they initially said no, it would not be changed, and you were not happy??

Glad to hear that it will now be done!

Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

I never took it up with them as a complaint. Only recently after some discussions with some BL owners regarding this and a trip coming up to Nam,Bots I thought I should address this properly. I am also planning on maybe fitting LC 200 rims to match vehicle for the trip.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Ok thanks, glad its going to be done, I also want to change mine later in the year.

Cheers

Grumbles
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna" - SOLD
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #16 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I must agree.

We had a tree vs wing incident in Namibia over December of which the outcome wat Tree = 1, Wing = 0.

Hubby send a mail to Martin in Paarl early in January before they re-openend after December break, requesting a quote for a new wing. Martin responded on the day they re-opened. Although it was well after 5 o'clock, he responded almost immediately to 2 follow up e-mails. That is great service!

We are also replacing the canvas for the roof and the bracket where the rear stabilizers are stored (the camp appy did not replace the one part, so it was left on the roof and fell off somewhere in Mariental). Original ETA was 4 weeks, but our new wing, sides, roof and bracket was delivered to Centurion last week.

Old BL 78 is going in to Centurion next Monday for that plus some other well deserved TLC after more than 7 years of faithful and faultless service.

I do love my caravan to bits and will miss it like a child when it is not there next week.
    Dis great! Well, not the tree incident...the service from BL . Was it necessary to get new wing sides? After lots and lots of use my wing roof canvas is starting to mess with my OCD tendencies.... My sides however, still look brand new .
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Michael, it seems that the sides are made when the wing is made to ensure a 100% fit. So the old sides might not fit perfectly.

Plus the new wing, sides and roof canvas is the current colour and piping whereas the old wing and sides have orange piping.

Ja sad seeing a wing looking like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1008.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	556885   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_1010.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	556886  

You will have to explain that one.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Eina...

Edit - Ek glo jy kan daai sides verkoop...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2020/02/04 at 08:42 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

A little money saving tip - if you awning lateral poles might have bent over time (the downwards pressure of the stubs tend to bend them in heavy wind). Our favorite money loving company quoted R350 excl VAT for 1 new pole. At my local camp shop I got 2 new poles (the long ones) at R80 each plus R20 for the ends that goes into the awning frame. Sawed off the ends to the correct lengths and voila.
    Last edited by George; 2020/02/04 at 08:48 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Yes please.
    Niel
    2012 BMW F800GS
    2010 Nissan Navara 2.5 dCi 4x4
    2015 Bush Lapa Miskruier (B503)

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Simple. Positioned the caravan under a tree to see how we will set up camp, did not see how low the one fork of the trunk was and moved off because we decided to rather use a different campsite.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2020/02/04 at 08:55 AM.

Ek sou die boom 'n paar gevleulde woorde toesnou (asof dit sy skuld was)
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Glo my woorde het gevlieg, sommige was gevleued en ander nie so baie nie.

Die voorbed kon toe natuurlik nie oopmaak nie. So die twee manne het chop-chop die wing afgehaal, en die buig minder gebuig en weer terug gesit.

Greetings All

I’ve just had our van delivered back to me from the factory after replacements for a couple of faulty lights from a supplier hadn’t arrived on time at Bush Lapa’s factory in Paarl. I had taken the van in for a few minor snags and needed to collect it for a trip before the parts had arrived so had to take it back again after our trip

Needless to say, while the van was at the factory, I had them do a couple of mods and repairs

Th service I had from Francois and everyone I dealt with there was absolutely outstanding. The ethos at Bush Lapa is clearly can do and when asked if they could make a change here or improve there, absolutely no problem. Well done guys.

Happy overlander/camper
    Last edited by Voyageur; 2020/02/06 at 01:39 PM.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Greetings All

Iíve just had our van delivered back to me from the factory after replacements for a couple of faulty lights from a supplier hadnít arrived on time at Bush Lapaís factory in Paarl. I had taken the van in for a few minor snags and needed to collect it for a trip before the parts had arrived so had to take it back again after our trip

Needless to say, while the van was at the factory, I had them do a couple of mods and repairs

Th service I had from Francois and everyone I dealt with there was absolutely outstanding. The ethos at Bush Lapa is clearly can do and when asked if they could make a change here or improve there, absolutely no problem. Well done guys.

Happy overlander/camper
    Best Choice I ever Made, They are great and very concerned about there Unit.

Well done Guys
    Dave

BL1942 - The Bug

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Glo my woorde het gevlieg, sommige was gevleued en ander nie so baie nie.

Die voorbed kon toe natuurlik nie oopmaak nie. So die twee manne het chop-chop die wing afgehaal, en die buig minder gebuig en weer terug gesit.
    Ek het amper my Boskriek verloor die vakansie so moet nie sleg voel nie!!!!

Bietjie in n panarie in gery op n kamp plek, toe moes ek af haak en die wa omdraai, teen omtrent n 20 grade helling!!!!

As die werkers my nie gehelp het nie was die wa nou onder in die kloof by Ugab Terrace Lodge!!!
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast