Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4 - Page 2





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 852

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    It would have been nice if they came in auto with the 4x4 just a good old fasioned auto would be great no CVT thank you, but I don’t think their dual clutch is compatible with 4x4.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    SX4 is a good, honest car. Mine has 200k km on now, and apart from services and consumables like brake pads nothing has gone wrong except the cat...I just ignored it on the advice of the mech at the agents. Still need to have it removed🤦🏻#♂️

    Service vary between R1500 to R2500. And the service from the agents has always been very good. Consumption is around 12km/liter but I also dont drive with economy in mind. This car has been abused to be honest...it has been to rural Transkei a couple of times, towed heavy loads with it, dogs/MTBs chucked inside etc....it just never let us down.

    Just a few thoughts:
    tires are quite expensive, weird size...
    plastics inside are a bit cheap...
    parts like shocks are crazy expensive from agents (R14k) but can be sourced elsewhere for cheaper...
    stupid little space saver spare is irritating...

    IMHO if it fits your budget and needs you could do much worse that the SX4

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wjn For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Thanks all for the responses so far.

    After reading through the comments and test driving the Renault Duster, I am now starting to lean more and more toward the Duster for its fuel efficiency, size and better off-road ability. My only concern at the moment is that the model I am considering has 86,000km on the clock. Is this decent mileage for a 2014 Duster at R159k? Are there any major (and expensive) services coming up that I will need to be aware of? Finally, how affordable is it to maintain and service the Duster?

    Thanks in advance for all the help, the feedback has been very useful
    Last edited by crawling_king_snake; 2019/08/28 at 09:35 AM.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post
    SX4 is a good, honest car. Mine has 200k km on now, and apart from services and consumables like brake pads nothing has gone wrong except the cat...I just ignored it on the advice of the mech at the agents. Still need to have it removed🤦🏻#♂️

    Service vary between R1500 to R2500. And the service from the agents has always been very good. Consumption is around 12km/liter but I also dont drive with economy in mind. This car has been abused to be honest...it has been to rural Transkei a couple of times, towed heavy loads with it, dogs/MTBs chucked inside etc....it just never let us down.

    Just a few thoughts:
    tires are quite expensive, weird size...
    plastics inside are a bit cheap...
    parts like shocks are crazy expensive from agents (R14k) but can be sourced elsewhere for cheaper...
    stupid little space saver spare is irritating...

    IMHO if it fits your budget and needs you could do much worse that the SX4
    Thanks Wjn, that's good feedback. The reliability of the SX4, which has been consistently praised by everyone I've spoken to, makes it very difficult to consider something else. As someone who has used (and abused ) his SX4, what would you say is the limit of it's off-road capabilities?

  6. #25
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,760
    Thanked: 10458

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Jeep Patriot could also be worth looking at. Can lock in 4wd. Standard rims and tyres are road biased but can accept smaller rims and AT Tyres. Plenty of space in the boot.

    Youtube them, you might be pleasantly surprised
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  8. #26
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    36
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by crawling_king_snake View Post
    Thanks all for the responses so far.

    After reading through the comments and test driving the Renault Duster, I am now starting to lean more and more toward the Duster for its fuel efficiency, size and better off-road ability. My only concern at the moment is that the model I am considering has 86,000km on the clock. Is this decent mileage for a 2014 Duster at R159k? Are there any major (and expensive) services coming up that I will need to be aware of? Finally, how affordable is it to maintain and service the Duster?

    Thanks in advance for all the help, the feedback has been very useful
    Seeing that it cost ~R250k new in 2014, I think R159k is waay too much.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

    SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

  9. #27
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,760
    Thanked: 10458

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Thanks Estee, another one to add to my list! I do feel that the Patriot might be a bit too big for my needs though. Will definitely consider a few option though, since the off-roading seems quite impressive as well.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to crawling_king_snake For This Useful Post:


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,065
    Thanked: 1123

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    The 4x4 system comes from the Nissan X Trail, it has a 2wd, 4wd auto and 4wd lock function. Some guys who has had theirs for a while mention that they drive them in 4wd auto permanently as the system will distribute the power to the wheels as needed. The lock mode disengages above 80km/h.

    There are no diff locks and I do not think it can be fitted but it does have traction control and hill descent control.

    I have tested it on a tweespoor padjie with some loose rocks and the traction control works pretty good, it should be able to get you out of cross axle situations.

    The only modification I might do in the future is to fit A/T type tyres for better grip. It came with H/T Conti’s
    You would be a perfect canidate for Goodyear Wrangler Adventure, they drive on tar like a good Ht(good dual economy and low noise), nice rugged look of an AT and handle off road like a champ.

    Quote Originally Posted by crawling_king_snake View Post
    Thanks all for the responses so far.

    After reading through the comments and test driving the Renault Duster, I am now starting to lean more and more toward the Duster for its fuel efficiency, size and better off-road ability. My only concern at the moment is that the model I am considering has 86,000km on the clock. Is this decent mileage for a 2014 Duster at R159k? Are there any major (and expensive) services coming up that I will need to be aware of? Finally, how affordable is it to maintain and service the Duster?

    Thanks in advance for all the help, the feedback has been very useful
    When would the warranty on that expire? There would probably be a timing belt replacement coming up soon, I'd phone a Renault dealer and ask what the timing belt service costs and when it is needed, because those can often be stupid expensive.

    I'd also be asking around for a reputable indy that knows Renault because you'd want to drop dealer servicing the minute it's out of warranty, on a basic and well know engine like on a cheapie like a Duster(or the Suzuki) it's pointless being gouged by the dealers.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  14. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,065
    Thanked: 1123

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Seeing that it cost ~R250k new in 2014, I think R159k is waay too much.
    Cheaper more popular vehicles lose less than their more expensive brethren, that asking price is just above the going rate, probably due to the lower milage and it being a dealer sale. Op can make an offer, probably not going to get it for much below R150k if at all but it's still awesome value and that's all that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Jeep Patriot could also be worth looking at. Can lock in 4wd. Standard rims and tyres are road biased but can accept smaller rims and AT Tyres. Plenty of space in the boot.

    Youtube them, you might be pleasantly surprised
    What's the preferable engine/gearbox on those and how reliable are they?
    Cost of servicing and spares?
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/08/28 at 10:47 AM.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:


  16. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    36
    Posts
    70
    Thanked: 30

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by crawling_king_snake View Post
    Thanks Wjn, that's good feedback. The reliability of the SX4, which has been consistently praised by everyone I've spoken to, makes it very difficult to consider something else. As someone who has used (and abused ) his SX4, what would you say is the limit of it's off-road capabilities?

    Unfortunately cant comment too much as ours us a FWD...but I am speculating now that the ground clearance would be your biggest problem. Larger AT tyres would help but a 4x4 it will never be sadly. In all honesty, if I didnt need space and I had the AWD it would have taken me almost everywhere I have gone in my FJ the past four years.

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 852

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    Cheaper more popular vehicles lose less than their more expensive brethren, that asking price is just above the going rate, probably due to the lower milage and it being a dealer sale. Op can make an offer, probably not going to get it for much below R150k if at all but it's still awesome value and that's all that matters. What's the preferable engine/gearbox on those and how reliable are they?
    Cost of servicing and spares?
    If the Patriot is anything like the other Jeeps they will be pretty expensive out of motorplan to maintain. They are also all 2.4 if I remember correctly so it won’t be very light on fuel.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  18. #33
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town Southern Suburbs
    Posts
    3,065
    Thanked: 1123

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    If the Patriot is anything like the other Jeeps they will be pretty expensive out of motorplan to maintain. They are also all 2.4 if I remember correctly so it won’t be very light on fuel.
    I'm assuming 2.4 NA petrol so probably around 11 to 12L/100km average fuel economy if you don't gas it?

    That's getting a little bit costly on fuel and then add Jeep maintenance costs.

    For me my fuel economy cutoff for a daily driver is 10L/100km anything more than that it must be a working vehicle that carries heavy loads/towing for it to be worth that much fuel.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/08/28 at 02:35 PM.

  19. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    PRETORIA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    284
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    What about the gwm h5 2.0vgt 4wd auto or manual with low range? There dealership and backup seems to be growing and it seems like good bang for your bucks. Fuel consumption and power etc seems also good
    FOTON TUNLAND 4X4 LUX
    UPGRADES:"LEVEL IT" SPACER KIT,2" LIFT WITH RANCHO ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS,ROCKSPIDER 4X4: BASHPLATE,ROCKSLIDERS,REARBUMPER/TOWBAR COMBINATION. UTILITY BOXES FOR AIR COMPRESSOR AND RECOVERY GEAR. DIY CANOPY. NEW CUSTOM BUMPER.

  20. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,760
    Thanked: 10458

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What's the preferable engine/gearbox on those and how reliable are they?
    Cost of servicing and spares?
    Bought mine out of the box in 2013. It has the CVT with tiptronic. Since end of motorplan, Bosch Service Centre have been doing all of the servicing. R3k or so for routine services. Only other work done was rear shocks and a tyre replacement front as it is FWD unless 4x4 lock selected or if responding automatically to terrain. 13.5lt per 100 urban cycle the Laaitjie gets but I think he also got it down to 11.7 or so on longer runs.

    I had a Cherokee in Zambia (the box front version just before the current model) and all I did to that was fagga petrol and oil and took it paces it wasnt really designed to go.

    I have been impressed with both of my ''light weight'' Tjieps

    Laatjie uses his for fishing trips, rough gravel, tracks and fields.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  21. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,760
    Thanked: 10458

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I'm assuming 2.4 NA petrol so probably around 11 to 12L/100km average fuel economy if you don't gas it?

    That's getting a little bit costly on fuel and then add Jeep maintenance costs.

    For me my fuel economy cutoff for a daily driver is 10L/100km anything more than that it must be a working vehicle that carries heavy loads/towing for it to be worth that much fuel.
    I hear you. When I bought the Patriot it was to park off the V8 Range Rover (>18lt/100) and in fact, the fuel saving, daily Woes Rant to East Rant, paid for the Patriot, insurance and monthly fuel with @ R500.00 to spare a month.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  23. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Hi everyone

    So as an update, I have decided to go with the SX4 after all. After another test drive and thorough inspection, I found the SX4 to be exactly what I need for city driving, with minimal occasional off-road usage such as rough dirt roads and loose sand. On top of that, the model I am getting is in superb condition and handles 100x better than the Duster in the city, where I will be doing most of my driving.

    If I needed something for doing any real off-roading, the Duster would definitely have been my top pick. But for my needs, the SX4 ticks all of the right boxes. Thanks for all of the really great responses and informative discussion. I will keep the forum updated with any updates (and post a picture of the beast once I have collected it, of course ).

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crawling_king_snake For This Useful Post:


  25. #38
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    36
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by crawling_king_snake View Post
    Hi everyone

    So as an update, I have decided to go with the SX4 after all. After another test drive and thorough inspection, I found the SX4 to be exactly what I need for city driving, with minimal occasional off-road usage such as rough dirt roads and loose sand. On top of that, the model I am getting is in superb condition and handles 100x better than the Duster in the city, where I will be doing most of my driving.

    If I needed something for doing any real off-roading, the Duster would definitely have been my top pick. But for my needs, the SX4 ticks all of the right boxes. Thanks for all of the really great responses and informative discussion. I will keep the forum updated with any updates (and post a picture of the beast once I have collected it, of course ).
    Excellent choice!
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

    SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

  26. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    42
    Posts
    759
    Thanked: 852

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    Excellent choice!
    Congratulations I am sure you’ll be happy. There are so many options these days you need to do some homework on whats right for you and what you will live with on a daily basis.

    I must say for me the choice was the Duster but to be fair I got the new one, where there has been some improvement in refinement over the previous models.

    Enjoy!
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

  27. #40
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    36
    Posts
    660
    Thanked: 306

    Default Re: Advice: Looking to buy a Suzuki SX4

    Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Congratulations I am sure you’ll be happy. There are so many options these days you need to do some homework on whats right for you and what you will live with on a daily basis.

    I must say for me the choice was the Duster but to be fair I got the new one, where there has been some improvement in refinement over the previous models.

    Enjoy!
    For sure. The difference is rather huge. The new ones are very nice.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

    SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •